playing music on this new laptop

Arlene

Hi list: Arlene here.  I tried to fix the balance on my new laptop.  On the right speaker I can hear my music.  On the left speaker I hear NVDA coming through.  I want to hear music on both speakers.  I can get NVDA to speak through both the speakers.  I tried to balance the music on the left speaker. But the music will not move to the left speaker.  How does one do that. I did see where you can have it set to default Microsoft sound. Shell I do that and see what happens?  My room mate’s brother played his black Sabith and he discovered that only the right speaker played the music.  Do I need to get a Bluetooth speaker? Or do I set it back to Microsoft default sound or whatever it was I did see. I have realtec speakers if that is a help. Sorry for all my rambling.  I had this computer since February 27th

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Arlene

Another thing I forgot was my friend Max who drives Handy dart he played the

Foo fighters All my life and he too said it came through one speaker and NVDA came through the  other speaker.  Only the right speaker plays the music.  He thinks I should get a Bluetooth speaker.  Otherwise I’ll blow the speakers.  This is an Acer laptop and I have realtec speakers if this is a help.

Sent: May 1, 2019 11:10 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] playing music on this new laptop

Hi list: Arlene here.  I tried to fix the balance on my new laptop.  On the right speaker I can hear my music.  On the left speaker I hear NVDA coming through.  I want to hear music on both speakers.  I can get NVDA to speak through both the speakers.  I tried to balance the music on the left speaker. But the music will not move to the left speaker.  How does one do that. I did see where you can have it set to default Microsoft sound. Shell I do that and see what happens?  My room mate’s brother played his black Sabith and he discovered that only the right speaker played the music.  Do I need to get a Bluetooth speaker? Or do I set it back to Microsoft default sound or whatever it was I did see. I have realtec speakers if that is a help. Sorry for all my rambling.  I had this computer since February 27th

Gene

Are the speakers USB speakers?  What happens if they are, if you disconnect them from the computer and connect them again, in other words, unplug the USB plug and plug it in again? 

While the speakers are unplugged, is sound heard through the internal speakers as it should be?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] playing music on this new laptop

Foo fighters All my life and he too said it came through one speaker and NVDA came through the  other speaker.  Only the right speaker plays the music.  He thinks I should get a Bluetooth speaker.  Otherwise I’ll blow the speakers.  This is an Acer laptop and I have realtec speakers if this is a help.

Arlene

Gene: No, the speakers are built into the computer.  I don’t have usb speakers. 

Sent: May 1, 2019 12:47 PM

Are the speakers USB speakers?  What happens if they are, if you disconnect them from the computer and connect them again, in other words, unplug the USB plug and plug it in again? 

While the speakers are unplugged, is sound heard through the internal speakers as it should be?

Gene

Gene

I don't know what is causing the screen-reader to come from one side and the music from the other, in that case.

Have you tried the usual possible remedy of rebooting? 

When did the problem begin?  You might try running a restore point from before that time.  Aside from that, I'm not sure if I have other suggestions.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 11:00 PM

Gene

Arlene

, I’ve turned it off for some time.  My friend’s brother noticed it when he played music on it a few days ago.  I only had this computer for 2 months.

Sent: May 1, 2019 9:30 PM

I don't know what is causing the screen-reader to come from one side and the music from the other, in that case.

When did the problem begin?  You might try running a restore point from before that time.  Aside from that, I'm not sure if I have other suggestions.

Gene

Gene

Brian's Mail list account

OK I think you need to look at whatever the applet is for the sound system and look at the balance control settings. I've encountered people using the balance as if it were volume. Often this happens due to the actual label being read by nvda being out of step with the sliders so to speak.
If its not that then maybe the actual machine has an issue as normally everything comes out of the default system the same. the fact that the nvda can be made to do this proves it should be possible unless there is a hardware issue somewhere on the sound side. Very unlikely unless the music has in fact only been recorded on one side. I assume that the system sounds come out of both?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 5:00 AM

Gene: No, the speakers are built into the computer. I don’t have usb speakers.

Are the speakers USB speakers? What happens if they are, if you disconnect them from the computer and connect them again, in other words, unplug the USB plug and plug it in again?

Gene

Foo fighters All my life and he too said it came through one speaker and NVDA came through the other speaker. Only the right speaker plays the music. He thinks I should get a Bluetooth speaker. Otherwise I’ll blow the speakers. This is an Acer laptop and I have realtec speakers if this is a help.

Hi list: Arlene here. I tried to fix the balance on my new laptop. On the right speaker I can hear my music. On the left speaker I hear NVDA coming through. I want to hear music on both speakers. I can get NVDA to speak through both the speakers. I tried to balance the music on the left speaker. But the music will not move to the left speaker. How does one do that. I did see where you can have it set to default Microsoft sound. Shell I do that and see what happens? My room mate’s brother played his black Sabith and he discovered that only the right speaker played the music. Do I need to get a Bluetooth speaker? Or do I set it back to Microsoft default sound or whatever it was I did see. I have realtec speakers if that is a help. Sorry for all my rambling. I had this computer since February 27th.

Chris Mullins

Hi

It sounds like the stereo balance is turned all the way to one side or the other depending on the sound source.  Check the volume mixer to see if this is the case.  Press Windows+b to move focus to the system tray then use arrow keys to find the entry for speakers and press the  applications key.  You should see volume mixer in the context menu displayed.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Arlene
Sent: 2 May 2019 05:46

, I’ve turned it off for some time.  My friend’s brother noticed it when he played music on it a few days ago.  I only had this computer for 2 months.

Gene

Gene

Gene

Unless the sound card settings have been enhanced with more control abilities in Windows 10, your suggestion and solution are impossible. In Windows 7 there is one balance setting that affects all sound.  If this is the case in Windows 10, then it isn't a balance problem.  I don't know what the problem is and if rebooting doesn't solve the problem and a restore point from before the problem isn't available, I'm not sure what might be done to solve the problem. 

Gene 

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 2:33 AM

OK I think you need to look at whatever the applet is for the sound system
and look at the balance control settings. I've encountered people using the
balance as if it were volume. Often this happens due to the actual label
being read by nvda being out of step with the sliders so to speak.
 If its not that then maybe the actual machine has an issue as normally
everything comes out of the default  system the same. the fact that the nvda
can be made to do this proves it should be possible unless there is a
hardware issue somewhere on the sound side. Very unlikely unless the music
has in fact only been recorded on one side. I assume that the system sounds
come out of both?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene: No, the speakers are built into the computer.  I don’t have usb
speakers.

Are the speakers USB speakers? What happens if they are, if you disconnect
them from the computer and connect them again, in other words, unplug the
USB plug and plug it in again?

While the speakers are unplugged, is sound heard through the internal
speakers as it should be?

Gene

Foo fighters All my life and he too said it came through one speaker and
NVDA came through the other speaker. Only the right speaker plays the music.
He thinks I should get a Bluetooth speaker. Otherwise I’ll blow the
speakers. This is an Acer laptop and I have realtec speakers if this is a
help.

Hi list: Arlene here. I tried to fix the balance on my new laptop. On the
right speaker I can hear my music. On the left speaker I hear NVDA coming
through. I want to hear music on both speakers. I can get NVDA to speak
through both the speakers. I tried to balance the music on the left speaker.
But the music will not move to the left speaker. How does one do that. I did
see where you can have it set to default Microsoft sound. Shell I do that
and see what happens? My room mate’s brother played his black Sabith and he
discovered that only the right speaker played the music. Do I need to get a
Bluetooth speaker? Or do I set it back to Microsoft default sound or
whatever it was I did see. I have realtec speakers if that is a help. Sorry
for all my rambling. I had this computer since February 27th.

Gene

Impossible unless there are balance controls for every audio source.  In Windows 7 there is one universal balance control.  The description of the problem states that NVDA comes from one channel.  It also states that music audio is coming from the other channel.  Has Windows 100 changed sound card settings so that, for example, NVDA has its own balance settings and Winamp, for example has its own balance settings?

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 5:12 AM

Hi

It sounds like the stereo balance is turned all the way to one side or the other depending on the sound source.  Check the volume mixer to see if this is the case.  Press Windows+b to move focus to the system tray then use arrow keys to find the entry for speakers and press the  applications key.  You should see volume mixer in the context menu displayed.

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Uninstalling the soundcard from device manager and performing a new hardware search out of the device manager would reinstall the soundcard, its drivers and reset all sound configurations to their defaults.

Of course that would need sighted help.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Donnerstag, 2. Mai 2019 13:59

Impossible unless there are balance controls for every audio source.  In Windows 7 there is one universal balance control.  The description of the problem states that NVDA comes from one channel.  It also states that music audio is coming from the other channel.  Has Windows 100 changed sound card settings so that, for example, NVDA has its own balance settings and Winamp, for example has its own balance settings?

Gene

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Gene

an example of why having an external sound card if problems occur with the one you usually use is a good idea.   I have no idea if this would solve the problem.  If a system restore point is available from before the problem started, that would be less work and there is a good chance it would solve the problem if it is software related.  There is a small risk when running system restore but it is widely used and if used properly, the risk is low. 

Gene

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 8:12 AM

Uninstalling the soundcard from device manager and performing a new hardware search out of the device manager would reinstall the soundcard, its drivers and reset all sound configurations to their defaults.

Gene

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Well you can uninstall and reinstall the sound drivers I guess.

But it does sound like all ballances were adjusted either the single one or for whatever reason you adjusted ballance on nvda and your music program for some reason.

I have never had this happen on a system, I have had busted sound card drivers and such, and busted user profiles though that doesn't happen as much on win10 than it does on 7 I have only had this happen once on a system with malware on it.

If you have backups a reformat usually does fix it.

Of course there could be a physical issue.

I had once a security issue on a server I maintain, sound mangled user account mangled security not working windows not working.

Sound was corrupt, profile dammaged windows not working.

I fixed the profile, fixed the card, and was about to do a full reformat to fix windows when I did a check on the card.

Which turned out the card, its manufacturer and all that hadn't actually existed, for at least a few years it was that old.

No drivers, no support, the solution to most of the issues was to replace the card with another which did exist and the system has been going like a house on fire.

On 2/05/2019 11:48 PM, Gene wrote:
Unless the sound card settings have been enhanced with more control abilities in Windows 10, your suggestion and solution are impossible. In Windows 7 there is one balance setting that affects all sound.  If this is the case in Windows 10, then it isn't a balance problem.  I don't know what the problem is and if rebooting doesn't solve the problem and a restore point from before the problem isn't available, I'm not sure what might be done to solve the problem. 

Gene 
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 2:33 AM

OK I think you need to look at whatever the applet is for the sound system
and look at the balance control settings. I've encountered people using the
balance as if it were volume. Often this happens due to the actual label
being read by nvda being out of step with the sliders so to speak.
 If its not that then maybe the actual machine has an issue as normally
everything comes out of the default  system the same. the fact that the nvda
can be made to do this proves it should be possible unless there is a
hardware issue somewhere on the sound side. Very unlikely unless the music
has in fact only been recorded on one side. I assume that the system sounds
come out of both?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Gene: No, the speakers are built into the computer.  I don’t have usb
speakers.

Are the speakers USB speakers? What happens if they are, if you disconnect
them from the computer and connect them again, in other words, unplug the
USB plug and plug it in again?

While the speakers are unplugged, is sound heard through the internal
speakers as it should be?

Gene

Foo fighters All my life and he too said it came through one speaker and
NVDA came through the other speaker. Only the right speaker plays the music.
He thinks I should get a Bluetooth speaker. Otherwise I’ll blow the
speakers. This is an Acer laptop and I have realtec speakers if this is a
help.

Hi list: Arlene here. I tried to fix the balance on my new laptop. On the
right speaker I can hear my music. On the left speaker I hear NVDA coming
through. I want to hear music on both speakers. I can get NVDA to speak
through both the speakers. I tried to balance the music on the left speaker.
But the music will not move to the left speaker. How does one do that. I did
see where you can have it set to default Microsoft sound. Shell I do that
and see what happens? My room mate’s brother played his black Sabith and he
discovered that only the right speaker played the music. Do I need to get a
Bluetooth speaker? Or do I set it back to Microsoft default sound or
whatever it was I did see. I have realtec speakers if that is a help. Sorry
for all my rambling. I had this computer since February 27th.

Usually especially with the way windows installs are now I usually reformat any new systems I get and use website drivers, ignoring the recovery partition completely.

Not everything is backed up but you don't need everything.

One thing I would recommend which sadly I didn't follow is that if you are to recieve any free offers of stuff you use that before reformatting you take advantage of those especially if they are online because that software doesn't come from say hp's site or anything.

On the flip side, once you have the os you get the drivers and programs and can install what you need and not install what you don't.

On 3/05/2019 1:23 AM, Gene wrote:
an example of why having an external sound card if problems occur with the one you usually use is a good idea.   I have no idea if this would solve the problem.  If a system restore point is available from before the problem started, that would be less work and there is a good chance it would solve the problem if it is software related.  There is a small risk when running system restore but it is widely used and if used properly, the risk is low. 

Gene
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 8:12 AM

Gene

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Arlene

Don’t know. I’ll have to play with it some more. I haven’t been home all day to fool with this.

Sent: May 2, 2019 4:57 AM

Gene

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Arlene

Alright I’ll go take a look there!

Sent: May 2, 2019 3:13 AM

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Gene

Gene

Luke Davis

If you start playing music, so that it is coming out of one speaker and NVDA is out the other one:

1. What happens if you plug in headphones? Does the weird balance remain, or does it come out of both headphones?

2. What happens to the balance issue, if you kill NVDA? In other words, after you start the song, if you press NVDA-q, does the music start coming from both speakers, or does it stay in just the one?

Luke

Luke Davis

Also, I don't think you ever said what program you are using to play music.

I assume you have made sure the "mono audio" setting under the Ease of Access Center is turned off. I doubt that could do what you are describing in this thread, but it might have some strange effects if you weren't expecting it.
Same goes for surround sound settings, if you have wonky sound card drivers.

Luke

Arlene

No, sorry I didn’t say what player I was using. I finally solved it.  I had to go into winamp equalizer.  I fixed it there. It’s finally solved.

Sent: May 3, 2019 6:41 PM

I assume you have made sure the "mono audio" setting under the Ease of Access

Center is turned off.  I doubt that could do what you are describing in this

thread, but it might have some strange effects if you weren't expecting it.

Luke

Arlene

Hello I’m using winamp.  I finally solved the problem. Thanks for all your help.

Sent: May 3, 2019 6:41 PM

I assume you have made sure the "mono audio" setting under the Ease of Access

Center is turned off.  I doubt that could do what you are describing in this

thread, but it might have some strange effects if you weren't expecting it.

Luke