From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of mhysnm1964@...
Sent: Freitag, 3. Mai 2019 14:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] key assignments in NVDA

All,

Is it possible to remap keys in NVDA? As I am using a laptop with a numerical keypad. I am also using the NVDA laptop layout. I want the number pad to be used as normal cursor keys, page up and page down, ETC. But NVDA is overriding this behaviour and forces the use of Object Nav. Any ideas on how to get around this? As the laptop keyboard to jump to home, end, delete is at the top of the keyboard which is quite a pain. FN left/right arrow key does not change to home and end.

I wish NVDA had the option to switch between use of Object Nav (default behaviour) and a normal keypad.

Quentin Christensen

There isn't a single keypress way, but you can use the "input gestures" to change the behaviour of the keystrokes.  What you would need to do is "remove" each one of the conflicting desktop keystrokes.  Ideally if you do it from desktop layout, you could remove then add the same keystroke back but set it for desktop layout only - then go back to laptop keyboard layout once you are done (if you simply remove them, if you ever go to desktop layout, you won't have any object navigation keys).

You can find "Input Gestures" on NVDA's preferences menu (NVDA+n, then P, then select "Input Gestures").

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Andre Fisher

Hi Quentin,

As this issue has been brought up on a few occasions before, I've been thinking of an easier solution that may help persons that have the same desire. What I was thinking was that there could be a new keyboard layout that could accomodate this behaviour, or that the laptop layout by default would behave like this. Then, there could be a different layout called hybrid or something like that, with laptop keystrokes and the NUMPAD using object navigation keys.

Quentin Christensen

I have seen this issue come up before.  I'm going to catch up with Mick and will raise it this afternoon.  In the meantime, clearly there are users who have NVDA setup in Laptop keyboard layout and want to use the number pad for navigation.  Are there any users who have NVDA in Laptop keyboard layout and like being able to use object navigation from the number pad as well?

Just thinking that if there are people who use laptop layout and number pad object navigation, your third hybrid keyboard layout could be a solution - but if not, maybe setting the "desktop" object navigation keys to be desktop (only) keys would be a better solution.

Quentin.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin,

As this issue has been brought up on a few occasions before, I've been thinking of an easier solution that may help persons that have the same desire. What I was thinking was that there could be a new keyboard layout that could accomodate this behaviour, or that the laptop layout by default would behave like this. Then, there could be a different layout called hybrid or something like that, with laptop keystrokes and the NUMPAD using object navigation keys.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

It is logical to have desktop keys where laptop keys are provided that are different, released, whatever they are.  All keys that are active and do the same things in both layouts would remain active.  But why have keys that are only active in the desktop layout and that are duplicated by different keys in the laptop layout remain active when the laptop layout is used?

People may disagree with this for some reason and I hope they comment, but I have never understood the reason why desktop keys remain active in laptop layout when separate laptop commands are available in laptop layout.  Laptop layout commands aren't available in desktop layout.

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] key assignments in NVDA

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I personally would not use object nav with my num pad in laptop mode but I'm too used to the ones for laptop. They just seem more easier to access as my hand does not have to travel far.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 May 2019, at 19:54, Quentin Christensen wrote:

[...]

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

I don't seem to be smart enough to learn about object navigation.  However, I am using laptop configuration on my desktop computer.  I find the commands (that I can remember) more convenient.

Howard

[...]

Luke Davis

Personally, I thought the whole point of laptop layout, was that it assumed you had no number pad or conventional six pack. Else why the differentiation between laptop and desktop? That is the primary difference between keyboard types--the lack of a number pad. I always either buy large laptops with number pads, or I use external keyboards on my smaller laptops without them, so have never learned or much used laptop layout.

So I'm saying I had always assumed (wrongly, it seems) that laptop layout would act as if you had no numpad as far as the screen reader was concerned, which would leave any numpad you do have to function as it would by default.
That seems the most logical arrangement to me.

Luke

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Quentin,

As this issue has been brought up on a few occasions before, I've been thinking of an easier solution that may help persons that have the same
desire. What I was thinking was that there could be a new keyboard layout that could accomodate this behaviour, or that the laptop layout by
default would behave like this. Then, there could be a different layout called hybrid or something like that, with laptop keystrokes and the
NUMPAD using object navigation keys.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Hi Luke,

Actually yes and no - The main point of Laptop keyboard layout is, as you note, the assumption that you don't have a number pad, hence moving the keys around to accomodate that fact.

When laptop layout was created, it wasn't made as a whole, every key defined from scratch layout, but rather was more like a series of "exceptions" from the regular (desktop) layout.

That the desktop object navigation keys got left set for "all" layouts rather than desktop layout only, was essentially an oversight.  I've seen it come up a couple of times, and when we discussed it this week, we agreed there is a use case for using laptop keyboard layout and still wanting access to the number pad for navigation (as per the original post that started this thread).

I'll post a new thread shortly with my proposed solution for comment.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

bering.p

Hi,I have followed your discussion .
I tried to respond to the need in my module .
You can download the current version in developpement here:
https://rawgit.com/paulber007/AllMyNVDAAddons/master/NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin/dev/NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin-8.1-dev15.nvda-addon
A script with no gesture is usable to switch the numeric keypad's keys as arrow keys.
It is in the category "NVDA global commands extension" of "input gestures" dialog and with the description: "Enable or disable the use  of numpad keys as navigationnall keys ".

You can run it by "nvda+j" folows by "f5".
To be able to use it, it is necessary to check the option "Allow the failover to the normal use of the arrow keys on the numeric keypad"  in the category "Advanced options" of the module settings.

It is also possible to enable the arrow keys on the numeric keypad as soon as you start NVDA by checking "Enable the arrow keypad's keys  at NVDA's start" option.

Hoping that can help you.
Sorry for my very bad english.
Friendly.

Paul.