changing what NVDA says when a punctuation mark is typed

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I would like to hear NVDA say period instead of dot when I press a period and I'd like it to say apostrophe instead of tick when I press an apostrophe. I found where to change this in the menus and I saved it, but I still hear dot when I press period and tick when I press apostrophe even though when I checked back where I made the change it appears that the changes I made are still there.

In case I did something wrong, I highlighted the 2 things I wanted to change and tabbed once to the edit field and typed what I wanted to hear in place of what was there then I tabbed to okay. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Troy

Andre Fisher

Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Gene

There are two places for changing the way period is spoken.  One is written as . sentence ending and the other is just a period.  The sentence ending option has a period at the beginning, for those with punctuation announcement off.  Did you just change one?  If so, try changing both if you always want period spoken as period.  I wouldn't want to hear period.  It's three sylables instead of one and, while it wouldn't slow down reading more than just a small amount, I want to get information such as punctuation as efficiently as possible.  You may do whatever you like, of course, but it might be worth considering trying the default settings to see if you get used to them.

Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:09 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] changing what NVDA says when a punctuation mark is typed

Hi all,

I would like to hear NVDA say period instead of dot when I press a
period and I'd like it to say apostrophe instead of tick when I press an
apostrophe. I found where to change this in the menus and I saved it,
but I still hear dot when I press period and tick when I press
apostrophe even though when I checked back where I made the change it
appears that the changes I made are still there.

In case I did something wrong, I highlighted the 2 things I wanted to
change and tabbed once to the edit field and typed what I wanted to hear
in place of what was there then I tabbed to okay. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

So there's 2 places where I need to make changes for both the period and the apostrophe and everything is in that long list of I think over 2000 things then is that right? If that's the case, and if it's not sure to work I'll just leave it as it is and get used to it.

Troy

On 5/4/2019 5:15 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Firstly, you can reduce largely the number of entries, unchecking the option to read emoticons...

Secondly, just press dot, and you will land in the two options... The same with apostrophe...

Rui Fontes

Às 23:25 de 04/05/2019, Troy Burnham escreveu:

So there's 2 places where I need to make changes for both the period and the apostrophe and everything is in that long list of I think over 2000 things then is that right? If that's the case, and if it's not sure to work I'll just leave it as it is and get used to it.
Troy
On 5/4/2019 5:15 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Gene

You can move to what you want to change, as you can move3 in any list, by first character navigation.  The period is the first item in the list for end of sentence.  To move to the second period option, type the period.  To move to the apostrophe, type the apostrophe.  If you want to see if there is more than one entry for an item, type it again and see if you move to another one.

Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:25 PM

So there's 2 places where I need to make changes for both the period and the apostrophe and everything is in that long list of I think over 2000 things then is that right? If that's the case, and if it's not sure to work I'll just leave it as it is and get used to it.

Troy

On 5/4/2019 5:15 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Gene

The following applies to all dialogs.  In unfamiliar dialogs, let the field you are in and whatever fields you move to read fully unless you know you won't ever work in that field or you are sure you won't need the information.  In the punctuation dialog, for example, When the punctuation dialog opens, you hear that you are in a list.  You can move through any standard list with first carachter navigation.  Don't just read a word or two when you move through fields in unfamiliar dialogs.  You don't know what information you might miss about the structure in that field or if there may be descriptive text you might miss if you move to the next one before the information is read.

Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:25 PM

So there's 2 places where I need to make changes for both the period and the apostrophe and everything is in that long list of I think over 2000 things then is that right? If that's the case, and if it's not sure to work I'll just leave it as it is and get used to it.

Troy

On 5/4/2019 5:15 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Troy Burnham

Thanks Gene. I actually have punctuation set on none so I didn't realize that the symbol was at the beginning of each line.

Troy

Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:25 PM

So there's 2 places where I need to make changes for both the period and the apostrophe and everything is in that long list of I think over 2000 things then is that right? If that's the case, and if it's not sure to work I'll just leave it as it is and get used to it.

Troy

On 5/4/2019 5:15 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
Hi.

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Brian's Mail list account

There are often multiple places you need to change it to account for the various uses of the symbol. i have now managed to change bang into exclamation and ^ to point up and many others like number to hash etc to cope with the uk way of saying stuff.
You may need to hunt for them and then save the settings. It is quite a long process but you only need to do it once. I know I miss one when it says it but finding it, ah, that is the long bit!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I would like to hear NVDA say period instead of dot when I press a period and I'd like it to say apostrophe instead of tick when I press an apostrophe. I found where to change this in the menus and I saved it, but I still hear dot when I press period and tick when I press apostrophe even though when I checked back where I made the change it appears that the changes I made are still there.

In case I did something wrong, I highlighted the 2 things I wanted to change and tabbed once to the edit field and typed what I wanted to hear in place of what was there then I tabbed to okay. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Troy

Brian's Mail list account

What would be really good would be a short routine that means people could share customised versions. Obviously theirs would depend on localisation. I've successfully done it manually on my own machines but an error and all sorts of oddities can occur when you reboot nvda. Ahem.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

In the symbols pronunciation dialog, there are two entries for both these symbols, as there are two cases where both are usually used. The long and short of it is, you'd need to change them both, but I'm not sure if this may have undesired results. Change them and let us know.

Troy Burnham

I managed to get tick changed to apostrophe, I forgot about the other times I might want to hear dot instead of period so I've decided to leave that as is for now.

Troy

On 5/5/2019 4:11 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
What would be really good would be a short routine that means people could share customised versions. Obviously theirs would depend on localisation. I've successfully done it manually on my own machines but an error and all sorts of oddities can occur when you reboot nvda. Ahem.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-