nvda key v

Brice Mijares

In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout of a web page. thanks in advance.

Nimer Jaber

this is a preference. I prefer that it remains on, some prefer that it remains off. i would say do what works best for you.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Brice Mijares

Would it cause links on the page to react differently? I remember something like that. Like a link in the middle of a line.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@att.net <mailto:bricemijares@att.net>> wrote:
In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
the layout?? of a web page. thanks in advance.
--
Best,
Nimer Jaber
up to you. Thanks.
Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org
you, and have a great day!

Gene

If you want to see all links on individual lines, have this setting off.  If you want to see more than one link on the same line, as you will on some web pages, have the feature on.  I maintain that for most uses, it is easier to navigate web pages if you have this feature off.  But there are some cases, such as Internet discussion forms, where, according to what I've read, it may be easier to work with such sites with the feature on.

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 11:30 AM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] nvda key v

In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.

Nimer Jaber

If you are focused on a link, pressing enter will activatie that link. if there are multiple links on a line, or if the link is in the middle of a line, simply pressing down arrow probably will not place focus on that link, so you will have to put focus to the link before trying to activate it. I wouldn't say that this changes the behavior of links, only your behavior of how you interact and navigate the web page.

thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Don H

What am I missing?  When I press insert v nothing happens.

On 5/6/2019 11:30 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.

Gene

You must be in browse mode which most of the time, means being on a web page.

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to hear. On 5/6/2019 9:41 AM, Gene wrote:

If you want to see all links on individual lines, have this setting off.?? If you want to see more than one link on the same line, as you will on some web pages, have the feature on.?? I maintain that for most uses, it is easier to navigate web pages if you have this feature off. But there are some cases, such as Internet discussion forms, where, according to what I've read, it may be easier to work with such sites with the feature on.
In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
the layout?? of a web page. thanks in advance.

Sarah k Alawami

Are you sure? When I hit nvda plus v as in victor, I don't get anything happening, that is, even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 May 2019, at 9:30, Brice Mijares wrote:

In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout of a web page. thanks in advance.

Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Oh, my bad.
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:

Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Sarah k Alawami

Well, I was not in a web pge when I tried that, and Ihave nevr touched that setting as for me I don't really beieve in it. So what ever is the default will I guessstay that way. Ah well. I'll just reat eh manual again to see if I missed anything.

Take care

On 6 May 2019, at 12:34, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Did you check while in browse mode?  If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.  You must be in browse mode.

Gene
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Sarah k Alawami

I'm too used to any ep saying the command even when not in browse mode for example I think it should in my humble opinion say "while in browse mode does x y and z' instead of nothing.

On 6 May 2019, at 13:05, Gene wrote:

Did you check while in browse mode?  If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.  You must be in browse mode.

Gene
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Curtis Delzer

and, while in t-bird, since my view is in  browse mode, nvda key plus V,says "use screen layout on, toggled to "use screen mode off," when hit again. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 5/6/2019 1:05 PM, Gene wrote:

Did you check while in browse mode?  If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.  You must be in browse mode.

Gene
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Agreed.
Actually I was going to say that indeed when you are in browse mode it does report what the keystroke would do but well that's it.
In my opinion it would be better this way as well.
For example a command that only works on Word should be stated as this but it's not to say that it couldn't be reported out of the Word window. It just would need to tell "it, in Word, does this and that".

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 17:17, Sarah k Alawami disse:

I'm too used to any ep saying the command even when not in browse mode for example I think it should in my humble opinion say "while in browse mode does x y and z' instead of nothing.

For stuff we sell, mac training materials and ??tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 May 2019, at 13:05, Gene wrote:

Did you check while in browse mode??? If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.?? You must be in browse mode.
??
Gene
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep, for users like myself who forget, don''t know about the key stroke, are asked about it in class etc. I'm too tired to think of the wordign and have my nose in a manual right now, and ampreparing for work that coming up with wording although I'mquote good at, I don't right now have the energy to do.

Take care and have a happy Monday.

On 6 May 2019, at 13:20, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Brice Mijares

I use firefox with browse mode on, insert v will toggle screen mode on or off. If on, a link can appear in the middle of a line.

Marcio <https://bit.ly/2H1H1Sg>
AKA /Starboy/
Sent from a galaxy far, far away.
Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.
From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio <https://bit.ly/2H1H1Sg> AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I am not familiar with any screen-reader where input help gives a command unless you are under the conditions where the command can operate.  What if a command does one thing in one place and something else in another?  I don't recall if I've ever seen ssuch an instance but it may not be a good idea to have a command announced when you aren't working under the conditions for it.

I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:
Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

What about all the quick navigation commands?  Obviously, for someone just wanting to hear the letters when not in browse mode, you don't want other functions announced.  What about home and end, for example?  In general, you want to know where they are on an unfamiliar keyboard.  You don't want to hear an explanation of what they do.  Be careful what you wich for.