nvda key v

Brice Mijares

In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout of a web page. thanks in advance.

Nimer Jaber

this is a preference. I prefer that it remains on, some prefer that it remains off. i would say do what works best for you.

Thanks.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...> wrote:
In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Brice Mijares

Would it cause links on the page to react differently? I remember something like that. Like a link in the middle of a line.

On 5/6/2019 9:32 AM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
this is a preference. I prefer that it remains on, some prefer that it remains off. i would say do what works best for you.
Thanks.
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@att.net <mailto:bricemijares@att.net>> wrote:
the layout?? of a web page. thanks in advance.
--
Best,
Nimer Jaber
up to you. Thanks.
To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank

Gene

If you want to see all links on individual lines, have this setting off.  If you want to see more than one link on the same line, as you will on some web pages, have the feature on.  I maintain that for most uses, it is easier to navigate web pages if you have this feature off.  But there are some cases, such as Internet discussion forms, where, according to what I've read, it may be easier to work with such sites with the feature on.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 11:30 AM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] nvda key v

the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.

Nimer Jaber

If you are focused on a link, pressing enter will activatie that link. if there are multiple links on a line, or if the link is in the middle of a line, simply pressing down arrow probably will not place focus on that link, so you will have to put focus to the link before trying to activate it. I wouldn't say that this changes the behavior of links, only your behavior of how you interact and navigate the web page.

thanks.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...> wrote:
Would it cause links on the page to react differently? I remember
something like that. Like a link in the middle of a line.

On 5/6/2019 9:32 AM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
> this is a preference. I prefer that it remains on, some prefer that it
> remains off. i would say do what works best for you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 9:30 AM Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...
> <mailto:bricemijares@...>> wrote:
>
>     In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
>     the layout?? of a web page. thanks in advance.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best,
>
> Nimer Jaber
>
> The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
> addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
> correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
> by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
> criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
> attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
> up to you. Thanks.
>
> Registered Linux User 529141.
> http://counter.li.org/
>
> To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
> and above, please click here:
> http://www.nvda-project.org
>
> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.
>
> To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970)
> (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
> you, and have a great day!
>

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Don H

What am I missing?  When I press insert v nothing happens.

On 5/6/2019 11:30 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.

Gene

You must be in browse mode which most of the time, means being on a web page.

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda key v

What am I missing?  When I press insert v nothing happens.

On 5/6/2019 11:30 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
> In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles
> the layout  of a web page. thanks in advance.
>
>
>
>
>

Brice Mijares

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to hear. On 5/6/2019 9:41 AM, Gene wrote:

If you want to see all links on individual lines, have this setting off.?? If you want to see more than one link on the same line, as you will on some web pages, have the feature on.?? I maintain that for most uses, it is easier to navigate web pages if you have this feature off. But there are some cases, such as Internet discussion forms, where, according to what I've read, it may be easier to work with such sites with the feature on.
Gene
*Sent:* Monday, May 06, 2019 11:30 AM
*To:* nvda <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* [nvda] nvda key v
the layout?? of a web page. thanks in advance.

Sarah k Alawami

Are you sure? When I hit nvda plus v as in victor, I don't get anything happening, that is, even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 May 2019, at 9:30, Brice Mijares wrote:

In most instances, should NVDA key V V be on or off. This key toggles the layout of a web page. thanks in advance.

Em 06/05/2019 16:22, Sarah k Alawami disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

From the keystroke refference:
Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.
Are you seeing anything other than that?

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Oh, my bad.
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.
Then again it's described on the keystrokes reference as I just said.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Em 06/05/2019 16:34, marcio via Groups.Io disse:

even in keyboard help that keystroke does not exist. I mean it exists but is ot assigned to anything according to nvda's keyboard help.

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v
This option allows you to specify whether content in browse mode should place content such as links and other fields on their own line, or if it should keep them in the flow of text as it is visually shown. If the option is enabled then things will stay as they are visually shown, but if it is disabled then fields will be placed on their own line.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Sarah k Alawami

Well, I was not in a web pge when I tried that, and Ihave nevr touched that setting as for me I don't really beieve in it. So what ever is the default will I guessstay that way. Ah well. I'll just reat eh manual again to see if I missed anything.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

On 6 May 2019, at 12:34, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Gene

Did you check while in browse mode?  If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.  You must be in browse mode.

Gene
----- Orihginal Message -----

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 2:36 PM

Oh, my bad.
I just checked and indeed, with the NVDA help mode on, pressing NVDA+shift V doesn't report anything at all.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Sarah k Alawami

I'm too used to any ep saying the command even when not in browse mode for example I think it should in my humble opinion say "while in browse mode does x y and z' instead of nothing.

On 6 May 2019, at 13:05, Gene wrote:

Did you check while in browse mode?  If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.  You must be in browse mode.

Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Curtis Delzer

and, while in t-bird, since my view is in  browse mode, nvda key plus V,says "use screen layout on, toggled to "use screen mode off," when hit again. :)

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 5/6/2019 1:05 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Agreed.
Actually I was going to say that indeed when you are in browse mode it does report what the keystroke would do but well that's it.
In my opinion it would be better this way as well.
For example a command that only works on Word should be stated as this but it's not to say that it couldn't be reported out of the Word window. It just would need to tell "it, in Word, does this and that".

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Em 06/05/2019 17:17, Sarah k Alawami disse:

I'm too used to any ep saying the command even when not in browse mode for example I think it should in my humble opinion say "while in browse mode does x y and z' instead of nothing.

For stuff we sell, mac training materials and ??tutorials go here.

Did you check while in browse mode??? If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.?? You must be in browse mode.
??
Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Sarah k Alawami

Yep, for users like myself who forget, don''t know about the key stroke, are asked about it in class etc. I'm too tired to think of the wordign and have my nose in a manual right now, and ampreparing for work that coming up with wording although I'mquote good at, I don't right now have the energy to do.

Take care and have a happy Monday.

On 6 May 2019, at 13:20, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Agreed.
Actually I was going to say that indeed when you are in browse mode it does report what the keystroke would do but well that's it.
For example a command that only works on Word should be stated as this but it's not to say that it couldn't be reported out of the Word window. It just would need to tell "it, in Word, does this and that".

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Did you check while in browse mode??? If a key only functions under certain conditions, you must be working under those conditions for the command to do what it is stated it will do and it is necessary to be under those conditions to have it described in input help.?? You must be in browse mode.
??
Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Brice Mijares

I use firefox with browse mode on, insert v will toggle screen mode on or off. If on, a link can appear in the middle of a line.

On 5/6/2019 12:36 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Oh, my bad.
Cheers,
Marcio <https://bit.ly/2H1H1Sg>
AKA /Starboy/
--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list <https://groups.io/g/thunderbird/> to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio <https://bit.ly/2H1H1Sg> AKA /Starboy/

--
Are you a Thunderbird user? Then join the Thunderbird mailing list <https://groups.io/g/thunderbird/> to help and be helped with all Thunderbird things - questions, features, add-ons and much more!

Gene

I am not familiar with any screen-reader where input help gives a command unless you are under the conditions where the command can operate.  What if a command does one thing in one place and something else in another?  I don't recall if I've ever seen ssuch an instance but it may not be a good idea to have a command announced when you aren't working under the conditions for it. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 3:17 PM

Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Gene

What about all the quick navigation commands?  Obviously, for someone just wanting to hear the letters when not in browse mode, you don't want other functions announced.  What about home and end, for example?  In general, you want to know where they are on an unfamiliar keyboard.  You don't want to hear an explanation of what they do.  Be careful what you wich for. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 3:20 PM

Agreed.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

??
Gene

Oh, my bad.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--

Use screen layout
NVDA+v
NVDA+v

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

--