Publishing EBooks with NVDA?

David Russell

Hello NVDA group,
Websites like www.daisy.org highly recommend author Dave Gunn's
"Accessible eBook Guidelines ....." (title snipped). Have you found
accessibility and or compatibility with major eBook publishing
programs used with a screen reader to be a real, major, challenge or
hurtle?

This question is more for those with no vision or very limited vision.

Alongside that, Dropbox may work well with IOS devices compared to
desktops or laptops, but what cloud portals work well with desktops
and laptops?

Thanks for your input.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Joe Paton

Hello David,

dropbox works on windows above xp, and maybe even vista is out of the loop these days.

Running either of those operating systems, you must go on line to manage your dropbox folders. But the desktop app is fine on
seven, eight.1 and 10. The web site offers a few challenges, but
can be managed just about.

I know nothing of e-books publishing, or e-books desktop apps,
other than Kindle.

Can't comment on one drive or google drive either.
But messages i have seen, suggest that both will have their
problems, but these can be overcome.

If you are wanting to back-up, take a look at carbonite.

https://www.carbonite.com/
good luck.

J.P

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:20:41 -0500
"David Russell" <david.sonofhashem@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello NVDA group,
Websites like www.daisy.org highly recommend author Dave Gunn's
"Accessible eBook Guidelines ....." (title snipped). Have you found
accessibility and or compatibility with major eBook publishing
programs used with a screen reader to be a real, major, challenge or
hurtle?

This question is more for those with no vision or very limited vision.

Alongside that, Dropbox may work well with IOS devices compared to
desktops or laptops, but what cloud portals work well with desktops
and laptops?

Thanks for your input.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Gene

Another member of this list explained how to get the Drop Box application to run with Xp even though it isn't supposed to any longer.  I tried the procedure and it works.
Here is my recollection of the procedure.
When you run Drop Box, you will be asked to sign in and you will hear a short cut command.  Execute that command.
I believe your default browser opens to the log in page.  Whatever opens, log in.
You can then use Drop Box as previously.  You don't have to keep logging in.  I did this procedure once and after some synchronization by the application, things were back to normal again.

"David Russell" <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:

Hello NVDA group,
Websites like www.daisy.org highly recommend author Dave Gunn's
"Accessible eBook Guidelines ....." (title snipped). Have you found
accessibility and or compatibility with major eBook publishing
programs used with a screen reader to be a real, major, challenge or
hurtle?

This question is more for those with no vision or very limited vision.

Alongside that, Dropbox may work well with IOS devices compared to
desktops or laptops, but what cloud portals work well with desktops
and laptops?

Thanks for your input.

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

I'm being careful what I recommend here as I do have enough sight to use a magnifier and so trying to stick to what I know works with NVDA.

Calibre is a good program for putting together eBooks: https://calibre-ebook.com/

As well as doing ePub, it can convert to and from many other formats, including Microsoft Word.  I've never had a problem with the output in terms of accessibility - it's what we use to compile the NVDA modules with.

In terms of publishing, there are two ways you can go - submit to each site yourself (Apple iBooks, Barnes and Noble, kobo etc, or you can distribute with one of the distribution companies like Smashwords or Draft 2 Digital.

Using a service like Smashwords or Draft2Digital, they usually keep a cut of any sales you make, but do save you from having to upload to each individually.  It also gets around things like you otherwise need a Mac to upload to iBooks, and you can only upload to Barnes and Noble if you are in the US or UK.

None of the big distribution companies seem to do Amazon these days, and as they are the largest book retailer, it's probably worth having your book there.

Back on formatting, Apple at least use: http://validator.idpf.org/ to validate and it's recommended to use that anyway just to make sure.  The only time I had errors was I think when I had things like spaces in filenames.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:20 AM, David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
Hello NVDA group,
Websites like www.daisy.org highly recommend author Dave Gunn's
"Accessible eBook Guidelines ....." (title snipped). Have you found
accessibility and or compatibility with major eBook publishing
programs used with a screen reader to be a real, major, challenge or
hurtle?

This question is more for those with no vision or very limited vision.

Alongside that, Dropbox may work well with IOS devices compared to
desktops or laptops, but what cloud portals work well with desktops
and laptops?

Thanks for your input.

--
David Russell