Topics

third party rss readers

Christopher Bartlett

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Ângelo Abrantes

Thunderbird works very well!

Ângelo Abrantes

Às 12:47 de 20-11-2016, Christopher Bartlett escreveu:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Avast logo

Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus Avast.
www.avast.com

David Griffith

Personally I am very happy with the RSS Reader Program provided free along with the other Webbie Accessible Suite of Programs.

There has been a recent slight tsimplification of the program to improve stability where I understand automatic Feed Refresh after the program has been loaded has been removed.

I do not personally find this a problem as all I do is cursor down my list of available feeds. I then hit control R which not only refreshes the feed rapidly but also open up the table of available articles in the feed automatically. then  I just  press enter on the Feed article and it will load in your browser.

Press escape in the article list and you will go back to the feed list.

Very simple but it works great.

I paid for the QFeed program from Accessible Apps but to be honest this Free program is far far more stable and fast at loading. RSS Reader has never crashed on me whilst this was a frequent problem with QFeed.  Also the support from Alasdair King is good whilst the support on problems with the paid for QFeed is non-existent.

David Griffith

20/11/2016 12:47, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

--
Christopher Bartlett

Gene

I tried the RSS reader that is a part of the Webbie package and, while easy to use, I found that notices aren't necessarily in chronological order.  You may want to try it and see what your experience is but that's one reason I stopped using it, because I didn't have any way to be sure I wasn't missing new material without looking at every item in the list of entries for whatever feed I wanted to follow.  If others have a solution to this, it might prove useful to people who want an easy to use reader.  I haven't tried others so I can't directly answer your question but my answer may help you if you evaluate this reader.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 6:47 AM
Subject: [nvda] third party rss readers

--
Christopher Bartlett

try accessible RSS. the folks who make the webbie web browser

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I've not tried it, but there is one in the Webbie suite I think.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between an rss reader and a podcast downloader, as many of those use rss, and store the files offline. The only difference is what the file actually is, audio html or whatever, surely?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:47 PM
Subject: [nvda] third party rss readers

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA? I'm
currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

slery <slerythema@...>

Okay, I remember you gave information on this Webbie suite but I can’t find it at the moment. I have been looking for a good replacement for both (one to do both or one for each) text/article feeds and podcasts. My paid for Qfeed just crashed yesterday and I can’t get it back.

Also, I am currently using gpodder for my audio and video podcasts but it is not accessible with NVDA so I have to use it with vision.

My main concerns for rss aggregators is that I can hide individual episodes that have been read/played and only show new episodes/articles.

Cindy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] third party rss readers

Personally I am very happy with the RSS Reader Program provided free along with the other Webbie Accessible Suite of Programs.

There has been a recent slight tsimplification of the program to improve stability where I understand automatic Feed Refresh after the program has been loaded has been removed.

I do not personally find this a problem as all I do is cursor down my list of available feeds. I then hit control R which not only refreshes the feed rapidly but also open up the table of available articles in the feed automatically. then  I just  press enter on the Feed article and it will load in your browser.

I paid for the QFeed program from Accessible Apps but to be honest this Free program is far far more stable and fast at loading. RSS Reader has never crashed on me whilst this was a frequent problem with QFeed.  Also the support from Alasdair King is good whilst the support on problems with the paid for QFeed is non-existent.

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

Christopher Bartlett

In an ideal world for me, the feed would simply show me all new articles in chronological order, rather than my having to check each feed individually.  When last I tried the accessible rss client, I couldn't do this.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

Okay, I remember you gave information on this Webbie suite but I can’t find it at the moment. I have been looking for a good replacement for both (one to do both or one for each) text/article feeds and podcasts. My paid for Qfeed just crashed yesterday and I can’t get it back.

Also, I am currently using gpodder for my audio and video podcasts but it is not accessible with NVDA so I have to use it with vision.

My main concerns for rss aggregators is that I can hide individual episodes that have been read/played and only show new episodes/articles.

Cindy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Gene

It can't be done as far as I can tell.  There is no setting governing this behavior.  This is a serious problem.  The only way to make sure you haven't missed anything is to look at every entry every day.  There is no way to even reduce the problem, as far as I can tell.  I see no way to limit the entries displayed to today's date, which would go a long way toward solving the problem. 

Gene

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:26 PM

In an ideal world for me, the feed would simply show me all new articles in chronological order, rather than my having to check each feed individually.  When last I tried the accessible rss client, I couldn't do this.

Cindy

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Rob

Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It can't be done as far as I can tell. There is no setting governing this behavior.
I use Pop Peeper:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/
This is basically an email notifier, but it has an optional plus patch that allows for rss feeds.
Unfortunately the RSS addon is non free. But you can hide read areticles and delete them; the rss feed is treated like a normal email account.

Simone Dal Maso

I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>

I also use Firefox. What's the reading mode?

Sukil

El 21/11/2016 a las 9:12, Simone Dal Maso escribió:

dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Salva <sadm@...>

Hi.
A mode of visualisation like the reader mode in iOS or Mac. It filters the advers and only show you the text. It only appears wen the text is laveled article.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!

El 21 nov 2016, a las 9:55, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

Sukil

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm
dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>

Hi,

Wow, I didn't know that mode existed in Firefox. How is it activated?

Sukil

El 21/11/2016 a las 9:57, Salva escribió:
Hi.
A mode of visualisation like the reader mode in iOS or Mac. It filters the advers and only show you the text. It only appears wen the text is laveled article.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!

El 21 nov 2016, a las 9:55, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

Sukil

dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

Salva <sadm@...>

Hi.
Menu bar, view or visualization, reading mode.
Salva

El 21 nov 2016, a las 10:10, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

Hi,

Wow, I didn't know that mode existed in Firefox. How is it activated?

Sukil

El 21/11/2016 a las 9:57, Salva escribió:
Hi.
Salva

Sukil

dissatisfactory service.

--
Christopher Bartlett

David Griffith

I am not sure what the issue is as you describe it but I may just not understand.
As I say when I open RSS Newsreader I cursor down to the feed I want to look at. I then hit Control R, this then automatically opens up a list of updated articles arranged chronologically with the newest article at the top of the list.  My experience is that there is no delay in opening the feed using this method. The number of articles displayed appeared  to vary according to the feed properties. Sometimes the latest 10 are shown whilst with other feeds more articles are loaded.
The Player does not automatically refresh but then as you in effect manually refress every time you look at a feed this does not in practice matter at all.

By the way the address for the webbie suite is, I am fairly sure
www.webbie.org.uk

David Griffith

David Griffithit

On 21/11/2016 03:26, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Cindy

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Gene

You may see things in order in the feeds you monitor.  I have only used the reader on New York Times feeds and they are not in order.  This same problem is what is being complained about in the message you are responding to.  perhaps the reader looks for a certain format when determining how to organize feeds.  If so, and if The New York Times doesn't follow this format, its fair to assume that many other feeds don't follow it either.  therefore, it may well be that many feeds aren't presented in proper order, though some or many others may be.  But this appears to be a serious problem concerning this reader. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:35 AM

I am not sure what the issue is as you describe it but I may just not understand.
As I say when I open RSS Newsreader I cursor down to the feed I want to look at. I then hit Control R, this then automatically opens up a list of updated articles arranged chronologically with the newest article at the top of the list.  My experience is that there is no delay in opening the feed using this method. The number of articles displayed appeared  to vary according to the feed properties. Sometimes the latest 10 are shown whilst with other feeds more articles are loaded.
The Player does not automatically refresh but then as you in effect manually refress every time you look at a feed this does not in practice matter at all.

www.webbie.org.uk

David Griffith

David Griffithit

Cindy

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

Christopher Bartlett

I subscribe to well over 100 rss feeds.  I do not wish to have to check each feed manually when they vary so much in frequency of posting, from feeds that post many articles a day to those that post irregularly.  I want all the articles aggregated into one chronological list, or at least one list, so I don't have to cursor down through a bajillion feeds.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
You may see things in order in the feeds you monitor.  I have only used the reader on New York Times feeds and they are not in order.  This same problem is what is being complained about in the message you are responding to.  perhaps the reader looks for a certain format when determining how to organize feeds.  If so, and if The New York Times doesn't follow this format, its fair to assume that many other feeds don't follow it either.  therefore, it may well be that many feeds aren't presented in proper order, though some or many others may be.  But this appears to be a serious problem concerning this reader. 

Gene
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:35 AM

www.webbie.org.uk

David Griffith

David Griffithit

Cindy

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett

In that case, you could mix the RSS feeds by using services like RSS mix or feed informer. although, feed informer is not for the technologically challenged.

slery <slerythema@...>

I tried this reader and found that it would not get the latest articles. I added my feeds (via import) and for one particular feed that I double checked it only showed one article from Nov. 19 (it was Nov. 22). I went to the feed manually in firefox and it showed that there were ten new articles for Nov. 22 (not counting the other days between Nov. 19 and Nov. 22).

I will not be using this reader because it is not accurate.

Cindy

Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 12:35 PM

www.webbie.org.uk

David Griffith

David Griffithit

Cindy

David Griffith

--

Christopher Bartlett

--

Christopher Bartlett