Bad boots of NVDA

Roger Stewart

I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot. This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Thanks.

Roger

Jackie

Did you try alt control n, Roger?

I've faced similar issues, & that works for me when it happens.

On 5/9/19, Roger Stewart <paganus2@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my
computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use
nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all
processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop
NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This
is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot.
This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what
causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Thanks.

Roger

Brice Mijares

This also happens to me maybe once a week. Usually holding down the NVDA key and tapping the letter N twice will reboot NVDA. H T H.

On 5/9/2019 10:04 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot. This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?
Thanks.
Roger

Brice Mijares

It may be the alt key is also included. NVDA plus alt, then N twice.

On 5/9/2019 10:30 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
This also happens to me  maybe once a week. Usually holding down the NVDA key and tapping the letter N twice will reboot NVDA. H T H.
On 5/9/2019 10:04 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot. This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Thanks.

Roger

Jackie

That certainly was ineffective when I attempted it. You really meant
NVDA key + n, Bryce?

On 5/9/19, Brice Mijares <bricemijares@att.net> wrote:
This also happens to me maybe once a week. Usually holding down the
NVDA key and tapping the letter N twice will reboot NVDA. H T H.

On 5/9/2019 10:04 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my
computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use
nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all
processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop
NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This
is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot.
This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what
causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Thanks.

Roger

Brice Mijares

I realized I forgot to mention the alt key. Also, it don't allays work.

On 5/9/2019 10:36 AM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

I've tried this one. As I said ALL of NVDA hot keys are not working for me when this happens.
Roger

On 5/9/2019 12:30 PM, Brice Mijares wrote:
This also happens to me  maybe once a week. Usually holding down the NVDA key and tapping the letter N twice will reboot NVDA. H T H.

On 5/9/2019 10:04 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot. This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Thanks.

Roger

.

Jackie

Well, ahem. That didn't work for me either.

[...]

Ján Kulik

Did you set up NVDA without the insert key? It can also happen

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Sometimes, what may happen is that sticky keys has been invoked. If it is NVDA related, you can press windows+r to go to run, and type nvda -r to restart NVDA.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

you, and have a great day!

Nimer Jaber

Also, the hotkey to launch NVDA by default is ctrl+alt+n, not NVDA=n.

thanks.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 11:15 AM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have the extended insert key as an alternate nvda key.

Roger

On 5/9/2019 1:13 PM, Ján Kulik wrote:
Did you set up NVDA without the insert key? It can also happen

Chris

I suspect this could be a hot key conflict of some sort

You could try starting nvda with addons disabled see if that is the cause of the problem

Good luck

Sarah k Alawami

Can you type nvda -r in the run dialogue and restart tyat way? Then pull up a old log file and set the text to the list?

Take care

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 5/9/19, Brice Mijares bricemijares@... wrote:

[...]

How and where would I find an old log file? I thought that file was dumped when nvda is shut down and a new one started the next time nvda is run.

On 5/9/2019 2:08 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

NVDA always save two logs. One is the log regarding your NVDA currently running and the other is the log for the last time NVDA was restarted.
This second file is called nvda-old.log. Both files are located at %appdata%.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 09/05/2019 16:33, Roger Stewart disse:

[...]

Luke Davis

Hi Roger

I have not noticed this on boot as you describe, but I have experienced it while using web browsers and in other contexts (but mainly with Firefox).
When it happens, I can usually do a control-alt-n, the standard start NVDA shortcut key, which kills the running copy and starts a new one. Note, that this is not an NVDA key, it is a Windows shortcut key.

It was unclear from your messages whether you actually tried this.

If you have, and it doesn't work: then as someone else suggested, you may have re-mapped that key to something. The only way I can think of to determine whether that is the case, is to enter key describer mode (nvda-1), and then press control-alt-n. If NVDA restarts, it probably hasn't been reassigned, at least not in the standard profile.

Do you have any configuration profiles setup?

Luke

On Thu, 9 May 2019, Roger Stewart wrote:

I've been noticing that somewhat often now, whenever I boot up my computer, nvda comes on, but all its hotkeys are dead. I can't even use nvda q to try to restart it. I have a P View utility that shows all processes running and can offer to stop any of them. I can then stop NVDA and then start it with its normal hotkey and then all is good. This is the only way I can get it going correctly aside from a total reboot. This has happened 3 times over the past week.  Does anyone know what causes this and is there any better way of getting out of this?

Roger Stewart

I have a couple configuration profiles but I did nothing to the standard nvda start shortcut nor have I reassigned any function in any add on to that shortcut.
Roger

On 5/9/2019 3:01 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
[...]

I just checked in app data and my nvda folder. I find nothing called log or log files of any kind there. They may be hidden or system files and don't show up. I even checked in all the subfolders of nvda and found nothing like logs there either.
Roger

On 5/9/2019 2:44 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Actually, another way to do this is to go to your NVDA desktop
shortcut & press alt enter once it's highlighted. You'll be in the
properties dialog box. Tab till you hear "shortcut : hotkey field"
(likely, you'll tab twice). It should say control + alt +n, assuming
the hotkey has not been changed, & assuming a US keyboard
configuration, as other configurations may differ.