Nvda, Total Commander and its' panels

Jarek.Krcmar

Greetings to all
I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my computer.
I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it wasn't.
When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported. The Tab key does not report panels.
So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and whether it will ever be implemented into Nvda by announcing panels in Total Commander.
Regards:
Jarek

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello,

Total Commander does indeed announce the panels, but you don't hhhave to press anything otherthan tab, to move between one panel and the other.

I've used it for about 20 years or more now, with Jaws first and, since 2009, with NVDA.

The good thing, compared to Free Commander, is that it announces panels, amongst otherthings.

Try simply tabbing, and let me know whether it works for you.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 18:19, Jarek.Krcmar ha scritto:
Greetings to all
I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my computer.
I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it wasn't.
When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported. The Tab key does not report panels.
So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and whether it will ever be implemented into Nvda by announcing panels in Total Commander.
Regards:
Jarek

It is clear that Total Commander is not exposing things to the screen reader either because it's coded "irregularly" or uses old Windows style code while NVDA is trying to keep up with more recent versions.  Like all applications that fall into this group, that means an add-on would need to be created to make it accessible.

It is not a part of the core function of NVDA to make every application that exists accessible, and that's why the multitude of add-ons exist, and one already exists.

The fact that Total Commander is just a jazzed up version of File Explorer, which will very soon be getting a tabbed version under Windows 10, makes it quite unlikely that anyone is going to devote any new effort to this at this time, but the existing one should work.

A web search on "Total Commander NVDA Add-On" turns up two pertinent topics, one on this very group and another on the freelists NVDA Add-Ons list:

https://www.freelists.org/post/nvda-addons/total-commander-and-nvda,2

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/24876251

which gives the direct link to an existing NVDA Add-On called Total Commander enhanced on Github (and whose author has posted recently to one of the blind technology lists) that has been updated to work with NVDA 2019.1:  https://github.com/Novalis7747/totalcmd-enhanced

This is why doing web searches is absolutely essential, and something that should be done first, before asking anywhere.  I learned all of the above from a simple web search on "Total Commander NVDA Add-On" and looking strictly at the first six returned results, digging a bit further into the links given in the post from this group noted above.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Gene

This has evidently already been tried as the message says that the tab key doesn't report panels.  So if it works in your case, perhaps some difference in settings may be found by comparison.  I don't use the program so I can't discuss anything except the possibility that maximizing the program may solve the problem if it isn't maximized.  If it is maximized, try normalizing it.  Aside from that, perhaps a comparison of settings in the program might help.

Also, it might be useful to test the program with a JAWS demo on the machine where panels aren't being announced.

I just thought of one other possibility but I have no idea if it could make a difference.  You might try changing the screen resolution.  Comparing the current resolutions between the two computers might be a good idea before experimenting.

Total Commander does indeed announce the panels, but you don't hhhave to
press anything otherthan tab, to move between one panel and the other.

I've used it for about 20 years or more now, with Jaws first and, since
2009, with NVDA.

The good thing, compared to Free Commander, is that it announces panels,
amongst otherthings.

Try simply tabbing, and let me know whether it works for you.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 18:19, Jarek.Krcmar ha scritto:
> Greetings to all
> I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my computer.
> I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it
> wasn't.
> When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported.
> The Tab key does not report panels.
> So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and whether
> it will ever be implemented into Nvda by announcing panels in Total
> Commander.
> Regards:
> Jarek

Ralf Kefferpuetz

The 32bit version does annonce it the 64bit version not.

That’s what my addon is for….

This has evidently already been tried as the message says that the tab key doesn't report panels.  So if it works in your case, perhaps some difference in settings may be found by comparison.  I don't use the program so I can't discuss anything except the possibility that maximizing the program may solve the problem if it isn't maximized.  If it is maximized, try normalizing it.  Aside from that, perhaps a comparison of settings in the program might help.

Also, it might be useful to test the program with a JAWS demo on the machine where panels aren't being announced.

I just thought of one other possibility but I have no idea if it could make a difference.  You might try changing the screen resolution.  Comparing the current resolutions between the two computers might be a good idea before experimenting.

Total Commander does indeed announce the panels, but you don't hhhave to
press anything otherthan tab, to move between one panel and the other.

I've used it for about 20 years or more now, with Jaws first and, since
2009, with NVDA.

The good thing, compared to Free Commander, is that it announces panels,
amongst otherthings.

Try simply tabbing, and let me know whether it works for you.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 18:19, Jarek.Krcmar ha scritto:
> Greetings to all
> I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my computer.
> I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it
> wasn't.
> When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported.
> The Tab key does not report panels.
> So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and whether
> it will ever be implemented into Nvda by announcing panels in Total
> Commander.
> Regards:
> Jarek

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Only in the 32bit version with the NVDA built-in appModule.

[...]

I have written an addon for Total Commander 32bit and 64bit.
You can download it here:
https://github.com/Novalis7747/totalcmd-enhanced/raw/master/totalcmd-0.6.2.nvda-addon
It has some features and it speaks left/right also for the 64bit version.

Cheers,
Ralf

I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my computer.
I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it wasn't.
When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported. The Tab key does not report panels.
So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and whether it will ever be implemented into Nvda by
announcing panels in Total Commander.
Regards:
Jarek

Jarek.Krcmar

greetintgs,

I have downloaded and installed the TotalCmd Nvda addon, and after restarting Nvda mi started Total Commander 32 bit.

I found out, That the panels are anounced.

Thank you very much and excuse my English.

I have written to this conference, but I am not certain in English. I am learning it.

Regards:

Jarek

Dne 18-05-2019 v 21:13 Ralf Kefferpuetz napsal(a):

[...]

Hello Jarek,

I didn't know there was an add-on for Total Commander and NVDA.

It would be interesting to see if it makes some parts of the ftp connection settings.

Where did you find the add-on, please?

Thaks, ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 22:06, Jarek.Krcmar ha scritto:
[...]

Thanks, sorry... I was viewing messages from the bottom up, and I hadn't seen this one.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 21:13, Ralf Kefferpuetz ha scritto:
[...]

Ah... Great. I've always used a 32-bit version, even on a 64-bit machine, because it works better with my ftp. That's why I'd always had the panels announced.

Great job the add-on, thanks.

[...]

Hi,

I have donloaded from here:

Dne 18-05-2019 v 22:15 Mallard napsal(a):

[...]

I am glad, when Nvda anounces the panels in Total Commander at least 32 bit.

I don't use the ftp server.

In a fact Total Commander suits for me better than Free Commander.

Jarek

Dne 18-05-2019 v 22:18 Mallard napsal(a):

[...]

Thanks Jarek.

I've installed it, but it doesn't tackle the unreadable edit boxes in FTP. It doesn't really matter, because I'm so used to them, but it might be difficult for others.

I've been in contact with Christian Ghisler, the dev of Total Commander for many years now, and he had explained why those text boxes cannot be read by screen readers, but I don't remember the technical explanation he gave me.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/05/2019 22:35, Jarek.Krcmar ha scritto:
Hi,

I have donloaded from here:

[...]

Hi Ollie,

I'm the author of this addon and use ftp as well. I never missed anything, lol.
Can you give me a step by step description about what text boxes you are speaking and where I can find them? I can then
try to make them read.

Cheers,
Ralf

I have both Free Commander and Total Commander installed on my
computer.
I thought Nvda would announce the panels at Total Commander, but it
wasn't.
When I press Nvda + T, only the Total Commander window is reported.
The Tab key does not report panels.
So I want to ask if any of you are using Total Commander, and
whether it will ever be implemented into Nvda by announcing panels
in Total Commander.
Regards:
Jarek

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello Ralf,

Here is the procedure:

In Total Commander:

Ctrl+f to go to ftp

Tab twice to reach New Connection and press Enter

First edit box should be "Connection Details" (I hope it corresponds, because I have Total Commander in Italian). This is where ou should enter the connection name for future use.

Tab once to reach Host Name (not readable

Then tab three times, and you reach Username (not readable)

Tab once and you reach Password (it doesn't say Password, but it says something like "Textbox protected"

Tab twice and you'll find another silent textbox; I don't know what it should be...

Tab again and another silent editbox will appear.

Tab once and there's a button that isn't spoken.

That's all.

I'm using the latest version of Total Commander and the latest Alpha of NVDA.

hth, and thanks for your work.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 19/05/2019 18:01, Ralf Kefferpuetz ha scritto:
[...]

Oooops, sorry.

I thought pressing Reply instead of Reply All would only send the message to the sender, as on other lists I'm on.

I apologise for this.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 19/05/2019 19:26, Mallard ha scritto:
[...]

Ok, thanks, lemme have a look to this...