Topics

NVDA and MSWord Tutorials?

David Russell

Hello NVDA Group,

As some of you know, one of my avocations is that I am a short story
writer. I am learning equally as much about writing as mechanics being
totally blind from infancy.
Jarte and MS Word 2013 are my primary processing programs. My
volunteer editors are sighted, and bring up something that evades my
understanding: the need to format something I send before they can
edit.
Hence, my questions are these:
1. Recommended tutorials for MS Word and maybe even something called
MS Track Changes?
2. How can I use NVDA to set my MS Word program to alert me of
grammar issues when writing?

This may be a lot but hope you can see the pattern and perhaps respond
accordingly; big thanks!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Monte Single

Hi david,

Go to the nvda website at;

Nvaccess.net

Click on the store link and there you will find a m s word tutorial. I think it is in both text and audio format. It costs about 23 u s dollars.
I don't know if it will answer all your questions, I purchased it and it tells me more about m s word than I need to know.

As some of you know, one of my avocations is that I am a short story writer. I am learning equally as much about writing as mechanics being totally blind from infancy.
Jarte and MS Word 2013 are my primary processing programs. My volunteer editors are sighted, and bring up something that evades my
understanding: the need to format something I send before they can edit.
Hence, my questions are these:
1. Recommended tutorials for MS Word and maybe even something called MS Track Changes?
2. How can I use NVDA to set my MS Word program to alert me of grammar issues when writing?

This may be a lot but hope you can see the pattern and perhaps respond accordingly; big thanks!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Ed Marquette

You have asked several questions. As for tutorials on MS Word, the NV Access productivity package is excellent. The package bundles several Microsoft Office products, but I am sure you can buy them separately.
I recommend, at least, basic NVDA and NVDA for Microsoft Word. It certainly highlights NVDA, but it also illustrat4es a great deal about the use of MS Word.
As for checking your formatting, you can set NVDA to tell you things like color, style, attributes, spacing, indentation, and so on.
You should have no excuse for poorly formatted documents.
As for track changes and grammar checking, control plus shift plus E turns on and off the function. It lets you hear what has been added and deleted. You can jump from revision to revision, accept or reject, or edit. Check out the “Review” tab on the top of the menu.
NVDA does a brilliant job of reporting track changes.
As for grammar, you should really learn for yourself. Word has a grammar checker, and you can turn it on so that it reports “grammar errors” as you type (not recommended) or as you run the spell checker (F7).
The Word grammar check is really very basic and not very good. For instance, it misses Oxford Comma omissions, possessives with plural nouns, and split infinitives. Those are just a few. Still, the grammar checker will catch the most outrageous mistakes though it sometimes flags errors that are not errors.
Again, the best thing you can do is to buy those tutorials from NV Access. They are EXCELLENT!

On May 21, 2019, at 4:20 AM, David Russell <david.sonofhashem@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi David,

Others have already suggested both the Microsoft Word with NVDA training module, and the NVDA Productivity bundle, so I won't labour that, except to confirm that yes, track changes is included, as well as comments, and other reviewing features of Word.  It was also designed for Word 2010, through to the latest 365, so will be suitable for you with Word 2013.

The Microsoft Word for NVDA module comes in electronic text (HTML, Word document, ePub and Kindle KFX formats in the one zip file) for $30 AUD (about $23 USD): https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-word-training-for-nvda-ebook/

It is also available in the NVDA Productivity bundle, which also includes Basic Training for NVDA (well worth working through first), as well as Excel and Outlook for NVDA modules, and telephone support: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/nvda-productivity-bundle/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 7:20 PM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager