Topics

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.06 released, add-on development plan for the next few months #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.06 is now available. This release improves support for just released Windows 10 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update), specifically when it comes to modern keyboard.

In addition, here’s what will happen with this add-on in the next few months:

  1. End of support countdown for Version 1803 (April 2018 Update): as of May 27, 2019 (which will be Memorial Day in United States), end of support countdown for Windows 10 Version 1803 will be in effect. This means at least 60 days from that date, Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will drop support for that version of Windows 10; future releases from that point on will require Version 1809 (October 2018 Update). This may change under two conditions: a major upgrade bug is found in Version 1903 (May 2019 Update) that results in data loss or similar catastrophes, or a critical change is made to NVDA that necessitates extending end of support for Version 1803. The former is unlikely, while the latter may happen, and if one of these should happen, support will be extended to end of August and no more after that.
  2. Version 1803 and development snapshot releases: if you are using development builds of this add-on, Version 1803 will be dropped sooner – no later than June 22, 2019, which is exactly a month from today. There will be no support extension for development build users.
  3. Upcoming development builds may require NVDA 2019.1 or later: some of you may have noticed that recent development builds of this add-on does not install on NVDA releases earlier than 2019.1. This was done so I can test what happens if strictly NVDA 2019.1 code is used in this add-on. This will continue for a while.
  4. NVDA version jump: typically I support current and most recent NVDA releases in this add-on (currently 2018.4 and 2019.1.x). However, once Project Threshold is given a green light by NV Access people (not yet at the moment) and once that project is released to the general public (as a stable version, not a snapshot or RC), I will initiate version jump – Windows 10 App Essentials will require stable Threshold version of NVDA. However, given that one of the anticipated changes deal with Python 3 and due to problems it may bring, I will give you at least 60 days grace period, with the start and end dates to be determined then.

Regarding version jump as a result of Project Threshold: it won’t be limited to Windows 10 App Essentials. I will announce more details in regards to my add-ons in a future email.

Cheers,

Joseph