Topics

Getting your Windows Version

I'll start by saying I know that the part about getting the Windows version is off topic, but we are now in a period where the changes in the latest Feature Update (Version 1903) and its interactions with NVDA versions are significant.

As a result, it will often be critical when asking questions for the Windows 10 Version, and sometimes build, numbers to be supplied when they are asked.  To get your Windows 10 Version you can do one of two things:

1. Hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver, then hit enter.  You will be presented with the About Windows dialog which contains the line with your version and build.

2. Hit WinKey+R, type in winver in the Open box, then hit enter.  You'll get the dialog noted above.  This method should also work in earlier versions of Windows as well.

If you need your NVDA version, NVDA+N,H,A will bring up the About dialog.

As an aside to the NVDA developers who may be reading, it might be helpful to make NVDA read its own version number in the more conventional "dot" format, e.g., 2019 dot 1 dot 1.  Right now it reads this as though it were a date.  It was really odd to have this come out as Version January first 2019.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Hi,

As for version text announced as dates: this is due to speech synthesizer in use.

For reference (for anyone new and old to this forum): whenever I ask for debug logs dealing with Windows 10, I will ask you to specify Windows 10 version (plus build number for people using Preview releases), along with NVDA release you’ve got. That way I can tell you what to do. Also note that I don’t refer t Windows 10 releases by marketing names – I go by YYMM.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Antony Stone

As another aside to the NVDA developers, I assume that NVDA is able to
discover the Windows version for itself, so it might be useful to include that
information as well in the NVDA - Help - About details?

Antony.

--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 01:21 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
As for version text announced as dates: this is due to speech synthesizer in use.
Thanks.   I know that it's impossible, given the number of synths and the different choices they make, for this to be consistent - but I often forget that it's not.

I also think that Antony's idea is definitely worthy of consideration, and not just for NVDA.  I'd really love it if most of my software were to report it's own name and version number followed by, "running under," the OS in question and its version number/build number (whatever's appropriate) as well.   Anyone assisting on technical issues generally needs to have both and while I'd not expect the version information for any application software to be presented via an OS version function, the reverse is not true.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Hi,
NVDA will log this info as part of its log (if the log is not disabled, that
is). Note that NVDA will record the version text as reported by Windows, not
its public-facing name e.g. NVDA will report "6.1.7601" instead of "Windows
7 Service Pack 1".
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Giles Turnbull

related to this, any time info such as version numbers is required, I start up NVDA's speach viewer (in the tools menu) so whatever is spoken aloud can be copied and pasted from the speech viewer window.

That means you don't have to try and remember a string of numbers, or navigate the dialog box with object navigation to listen to it again, and it will print NVDA's version number in the correct format rather than the date format, even if that's what your NVDA voice synth is speaking (mine says "January 1st 2019" but the speech window records it as "Version: 2019 .1 . ... I've put additional spaces before the decimal points to stop it being spoken in date format).

And the same works with the winver dialog :)

Giles
")