locked Reading past the visible screen on a CMD Window?

Hello,
Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in Windows?
Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows, and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thank you,

Luke Davis

I don't know how to do this, but can't you pipe your compiler output through less?

npm --whatever 2>&1 | less

Luke

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in
Windows?
Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows, and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really
need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.

Brian Tew

You could redirect stderr to a file then read the file.
or less as someone suggested.

Jonathan COHN

If you can find the scroll bar, you can probably scroll up a page and use the review cursor to examine the page. That being said, it is more efficient to work directly with either less or an editor and a log file.

The less command will allow you to use slash or question mark to search forward and backward through the file, and puts the result on the top line of the terminal window.

I don't know how to do this, but can't you pipe your compiler output through less?

npm --whatever 2>&1 | less

Luke

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll
windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in Windows?
Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows,
and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.

Tony Malykh

Hi

As others have said, the best option would probably be to redirect your output into a file and then open that file in the editor of your choice. Since you mentioned you're working over ssh, you would need to somehow copy that file over to your local computer. The way I have solved this problem is I had to mount the file system of my ssh server locally using SSHFS, or alternatively you can use SMB, and then you can open files directly from your remote server. It requires some effort to configure network file system, but in the end it's probably the only convenient solution.

--Tony

On 6/4/2019 6:49 AM, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,
Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in Windows?
Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows, and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Thank you,

Norman <lists@...>

Hi.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do it. What i usually do is a select all and copy paste into a text editor to read it. This is easier since i switched to linux as ctrl shift with the letters a, c, or v, do select all, copy, and paste respectively.

As for development, i'm looking to handle that part in an IDE or text editor of some sort.

Something like vscode for windows would have an integrated console that would let you read it.

HTH.

On 6/5/19 6:53 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:

[...]

I don't think npm errors can be written to a file, as they happen after the application has been started. If I try:

npm start > filename.txt

only the first line of NPM output is sent to the console. Then half a second later, the error comes and my console is all taken up with the error.

Is there a way to view what NVDA has said in the last few minutes? That would also help. I think NVDA reads the output, at least the top, which is the important part.
Thanks,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:18 PM Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@...> wrote:
If you can find the scroll bar, you can probably scroll up a page and use the review cursor to examine the page. That being said, it is more efficient to work directly with either less or an editor and a log file.

The less command will allow you to use slash or question mark to search forward and backward through the file, and puts the result on the top line of the terminal window.

I don't know how to do this, but can't you pipe your compiler output through less?

npm --whatever 2>&1 | less

Luke

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

> Hello,Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll
> windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in Windows?
> Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
> I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows,
> and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.

Brandon,
Is there a way to view what NVDA has said in the last few minutes? That would also help. I think NVDA reads the output, at least the top, which is the important part.
You can use the NVDA Speech Viewer.
Of course you would need to be with the dialog open before capturing the message.
Another solution is to use an add-on called Speech History, which will let you copy the most recent 100 items spoken by NVDA.
The use is as follows:
  • Shift+F11 - Move back through the history
  • Shift+F12 - Move forward
  •     F12 - Copy the selected item
Hth,
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Tony Malykh

I haven't worked with npm, but it sounds like npm might be printing errors to stderr instead of stdout. Try:

npm start > filename.txt 2>&1

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,I don't think npm errors can be written to a file, as they happen after the application has been started. If I try:
All output happens after the application has started. In shells (DOS, Linux, whatever), generally output capture through redirection happens before the application is started, as the redirection controls which file descriptors are handed to the application. So the application gets one file to send its standard output to, another to send its standard error to, and another to read its standard input from. The shell provides those file descriptors, and they can point to anything--from the actual console, to a file on disk, or to a named pipe that is actually sending/receiving to/from another program. The application generally doesn't care what they are--they are all files as far as it's concerned, although some applications can behave differently depending on the nature of the file or device (ls, for example, behaves differently if its outputting to a console, than it does if its outputting to anything else), though that may be a Unix only thing.

> npm start > filename.txt

As Tony pointed out, you aren't capturing STDERR. One of these should work:

mvn --maven --options > my_error_file.txt 2>&1

mvn --Maven --options 2>&1 | less

The second one will pipe everything through the less pager instead of sending it to a file.

You can then read the screen normally with NVDA, pressing space for next page, enter for single line advance, q to quit, b to go back up, etc.

If you don't like having to press Q at the end to get out, substitute "more" for "less" on that last one.

I still don't know of any method to scroll up through command windows in an NVDA accessible way. I think some work may be in progress in core for this, but it is not complete, and I may be incorrect about the end result.
Search on github for what @codeofdust has been working on.

Luke

Ricardo Leonarczyk

Hi,

There's another method that works for CMD and PowerShell, but not for WSL Bash , which consists in:
1. Press alt+space bar to access the shell's menu or what else people call it.
2. Find the option "edit" with the arrow keys, or with short letter "e".
3. Open the menu and find the scroll option, it also have a shortcut to access, maybe "s" (my Windows language is not English).
4. Onece you've activated the scroll, the window title will change indicating scroll mode, and you can scroll the screens with page-up and page-down. Pressing control + page up or down will make NVDA not speak the prompt first, just starts the reading from the top of that screen.

Hope it helps.

Em seg, 1 de jul de 2019 às 14:12, Brandon Keith Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs@...> escreveu:

Hello,
I don't think npm errors can be written to a file, as they happen after the application has been started. If I try:

npm start > filename.txt

only the first line of NPM output is sent to the console. Then half a second later, the error comes and my console is all taken up with the error.

Is there a way to view what NVDA has said in the last few minutes? That would also help. I think NVDA reads the output, at least the top, which is the important part.
Thanks,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 12:18 PM Cohn, Jonathan <jcohn@...> wrote:
If you can find the scroll bar, you can probably scroll up a page and use the review cursor to examine the page. That being said, it is more efficient to work directly with either less or an editor and a log file.

The less command will allow you to use slash or question mark to search forward and backward through the file, and puts the result on the top line of the terminal window.

I don't know how to do this, but can't you pipe your compiler output through less?

npm --whatever 2>&1 | less

Luke

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

> Hello,Does anyone know how to read past the visible screen or scroll
> windows CMD windows either using NVDA key commands, an addon, or some command in Windows?
> Normally I select all by going to the system menu and copy the whole buffer to the clipboard.
> I am currently using an SSH session in the Ubuntu emulator by Windows,
> and the system menu is not there. I'm doing NodeJS development over SSH and I really need to scroll past the visible window to read the start of the error.

Gentlemen,

              This topic is so very far from being NVDA-related, and has been virtually from the outset.   It belongs either on the Chat Subgroup or somewhere else entirely.

               This topic is now locked.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide