Topics

Web aim survey primary screen reader over time

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi guys

I was looking at the web aim surveys and looking at the results over time and how things change. I was looking at the primary screen readers people use  one from web aim survey 2 and one from web aim survey 7 which includes NVDA in the numbers.

If you want to see the difference in each web aim survey from the start for primary screen reader  the word is getting out there.

I also look at NVDA user statistics which only shows where NVDA is allowed to contact the server and let NVACCESS know how many people are using NVDA from day to day.

Those numbers do not include where people do not have internet access or the update feature is turned off.

But it shows me over time how many more people use the nvda screen reader.

I was just looking at the web aim surveys that come out from time to time. I jumped down to how many people use there screen reader as there primary one. The first bit is from the second web aim survey and the last one is from the web aim survey 7.

It shows you over time how NVDA has come up in numbers from its early days of the survey.

Plus how things change over time.

Myself when they come out I always fill it in as it also helps when I advocate to get NVDA into government/community places here

If they can see a graph that there are users out there using NVDA it helps open doors.

Plus NVDA can benefit more than just the few.

Primary Screen Reader

Primary Screen Reader

Which of the following is your primary screen reader?

Screen Reader

# of Respondents

% of Respondents

JAWS

435

66.4%

Window Eyes

68

10.4%

VoiceOver

58

8.9%

System Access or System Access To Go

32

4.9%

NVDA

19

2.9%

ZoomText

17

2.6%

Hal

4

0.6%

Supernova

1

0.2%

Other

21

3.2%

Which of the following is your primary desktop/laptop screen reader

?

Screen Reader

# of Respondents

% of Respondents

JAWS

811

46.6%

NVDA

555

31.9%

VoiceOver

204

11.7%

ZoomText

42

2.4%

System Access or SA To Go

30

1.7%

Window-Eyes

27

1.5%

ChromeVox

7

0.4%

Narrator

6

0.3%

Other

60

3.4%

The following chart shows historical trends for primary screen reader usage.

Line chart of primary screen reader usage over time. In 2015, ZoomText and WindowEyes rise dramatically and JAWS falls. In 2017, ZoomText and WindowEyes drop dramatically and JAWS, NVDA, and VoiceOver rise.

What happened in 2015? Essentially, the survey was distributed to a much broader audience, with many ZoomText and Window-Eyes users recruited to respond. Window-Eyes was also offered freely with Microsoft Office before the 2015 survey, but has since been discontinued. A much broader analysis from 2015 is available on the WebAIM blog.