Topics

Moving between worksheets in XL

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 01:46 PM, Jason White wrote:
This appears to be a bug, either in NVDA or in Microsoft Excel.
The only thing I see as a certain bug is that the name of the worksheet itself is not announced when F6 throws focus to it.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Jason White

This appears to be a bug, either in NVDA or in Microsoft Excel.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2019 10:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Moving between worksheets in XL

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 08:11 AM, Jason White wrote:

The Excel documentation indicates that there should be a list of tabs containing the worksheets available by typing F6 while focused on the cell grid. In current Excel (installed via Office 365), however, this didn't work for me: when I pressed F6, the focus remained on the cell grid. Pressing F6 a second time moved to the status bar.

This is one of those cases where "order of precedence" of processing of keystrokes is coming into play, combined with lack of announcement (at least for me, in Excel 2016) of focus having been shifted.

If I'm in a worksheet cell, and hit F6, focus does shift down to the worksheet tab, but that's not announced.  Without a screen reader on, you can then right/left arrow, to shift to the next/previous sheet and hit Enter to throw focus into that sheet, but with a screen reader on it captures the left and right arrow keys (and for what purpose at this moment I don't know, as they do nothing).  If you hit the NVDA pass through command, NVDA+F2, before left or right arrowing you will have focus on the tab for the next/previous worksheet, but you must hit enter to actually pull the worksheet itself into focus.  And I only get the announcement of the worksheet (it says table) name once I hit enter.  NVDA is silent while you're left/right arrowing (using pass through each time you need to do that lateral movement) so you need to have some idea of the workbook structure to begin with.

If I overshoot into the status bar where it starts talking about macros, I cannot simply SHIFT+F6 to get back to the worksheet navigation and have it work.  I must get back into a cell of the worksheet and hit F6 to start the "silent navigation" process of the worksheet tabs row, using pass through for each left/right arrow use.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Sarah k Alawami

Has this ben reported on github? If now, bryan maybe you could do it and submit logs.

Good luck.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 7 Jun 2019, at 7:24, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

This article may prove helpful:  https://www.lifewire.com/moving-between-worksheets-in-excel-3124024

I'm having no difficulty with the CTRL+PgUp/PgDn command to move between worksheets even with NVDA active, and I get an announcement of which I've moved in to when I use those.

But the other part about using Go To may prove even more helpful if you know your workbook backwards and forwards.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

[...]

The Insert+F7 NVDA command did work as described elsewhere in this iscussion and in the NVDA user's guide.

Another possibility would be to try Excel under Office 365 for Mac with VoiceOver. I have it installed on my Mac, but I haven't experimented with it. Microsoft's documentation suggests that it should be at least somewhat accessible.

On 6/6/19, 16:43, "Sile via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of somodhrain=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Correction, the NVDA microsoft tutorial says that:

ctrl-page up goes back to the previous worksheet and ctrl-page down goes
to the next worksheet.

But this still means that fnKey plus ctrl plus up arrow should in theory
move back to the previous worksheet in my configuration (see below) and
fnKey plus ctrl plus page down should go to the next worksheet?

--Sile

Hello

OK, so I have an unusual constallation of issues and am wondering if
anyone has an answer.

I am trying to figure out how to move between worksheets in XL But ...

1) I am running windows 10 under bootcamp on a mac laptop

2) If I look up bootcamp, it says that page up/down are accomplished on
a laptop running bootcamp by using fnKey-uparrow (page up) and
fnKey-downarrow (page down)

This works in word, notepad, etc.

The microsoft XL tutorial for NVDA says that I can move between
worksheets by using ctrl plus uparrow (laptop) to go back to the
previous worksheet and CTRL plus down arrow to move to the next worksheet.

You might think then that pressing the fnKey plus control plus up arrow
would allow me to move to the previous worksheet and fnKey plus ctrl
plus down arrow would allow me to go to the next worksheet?

But this doesn't seem to work.

Any bootcamp users out there who might be able to help?

Yours,

--Sile

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Sile,

I use a macbook pro with an installation of Windows 10 via Bootcamp.

When I type fn+ctrl+up or down arrow to switch between sheets in Excel, it works.

I press ctrl+fn, keep them pressed, then I press down or up arrow, keep ctrl+fn pressed, and when I have finished pressing down or up arrow, I stop pressing ctrl+fn.

You can also access the list of sheets with NVDA in pressing nvda+F7.

Press alt+s to select the list of sheets, then tab to get to the list.

You can press up and down arrow to read the list of your sheets.

Press enter to move to the sheet you want to reach.

May be you can also try to enable sticky keys.

I have an add-on that does this, but may be you can try typing five times on shift to enable this. Answer Yes when windows asks you if you want to enable this.

Then, you can press ctrl, then press fn+down or up arrow and it may work. You don't have to press ctrl+fn+up or down arrow together.

I hope my expllanations are clear enough, otherwise donot hesitate to ask.

Best

Sylvie

Le 06/06/2019 à 22:43, Sile via Groups.Io a écrit :

[...]

Luke Davis

I can't directly help you, but to help figure out what's going on: what happens if you turn on key describer mode, and then press control+fn+up/down?
Does it say what you would expect?

Secondly, assuming there isn't a solution to your problem, you may be able to create a macro to allow keyboard switching of worksheets via some other (configurable) keys.
I rarely use Excel, so can't tell you how to do this, but here is an article where a guy is doing something similar, and he provides some code that you could adapt to your purpose.
I'm not sure what programming language that is (some kind of Visual Basic, I'd guess), but it looks straight forward enough, and seems like it could pretty easily be made to move between worksheets for you.
https://www.excelcampus.com/vba/keyboard-shortcut-select-first-last-sheet/

Regards,

Luke

Sile