Improving Latency and Heading Functionalities in Word Processors

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I am in a situation of importance with unique requirements, wherein I
basically need to use some form of a word processor to very quickly
type notes, edit them, move them around, and navigate efficiently
between different sections of the document. For this purpose, I have
tried two options - (i) Microsoft Word, and (ii) Wordpad
Pro of MS Word (version 2016): (1), ability to use headings
Con of MS Word: up to 0.3 seconds (measured using Gesture Timing
add-on) of latency in moving line by lines and up to 0.2 seconds of
latency when moving paragraph by paragraph
Pro of Wordpad: very responsive with an average of about 0.05 seconds
of latency in case of both line and paragraph navigation
Con of Wordpad: no feature of heading labelling and navigation by heading

The above minor differences in heading functionality and the slight
differences in latency may seem trivial and negligible for general
use, but my use case requires these characteristics. On ways to
address these, here are a few things I have done:
MS Word: I have disabled document formatting settings like pages,
tables, row/column headers and cell coordinates. Are there any other
document formatting settings whose disabling is known to cause a
reasonably significant improvement in latency? Also, just once, I
tried enabling the “Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word
document controls when available” option (Advanced category setting in
NVDA) and which experience resulted in a lot of NVDA freezing and
hiccups, as a result of which experience I have not bothered playing
around with it anymore. Would it be advisable to retry this option in
case it is known to produce snappier responsiveness in Word 2016?
Wordpad: I do not believe I can somehow obtain heading functionality
in Wordpad, and even if I somehow do, I am unclear as to how I would
be able to use browse mode single letter navigation to quickly jump by
headings. The things to consider here then become if there may be
other lightweight word processors with less latency than Word and
heading labelling and navigation features.

I would greatly appreciate all your thoughts and inputs on the above.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com

Jason White

Try testing on a machine with a faster processor and more memory. I don't experience these delays, but my machine is a very fast laptop with 4 CPU cores (Intel Xeon), 32GB of memory and a large SSD connected via NVM-Express.

On 6/16/19, 21:32, "Bhavya shah" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Cristóbal

I know as mainly a Jaws user, disabling hardware acceleration in Word/Outlook helps. Give that and
disable anything else having to do with animations and stuff a try.
For example.
Disable hardware graphics acceleration check box checked
Play animated GIFs check box not checked
I really don’t' use NVDA a lot while in a word processor setting so don't know if it's at all more or less resource hungry than Jaws per say, but as an overall rule, I try to cut down on as much visual stuff where I can.

[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

 Hello,
Which synthesiser are you using? One Core and Microsoft SAPI are much slower comparatively. I find Eloquence and Espeak the fastest. Also, where can I find gesture timing add-on?

Regards
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Gene

SAPI is an API, that is, an application program interface.  It isn't a kind of synthesizer,  I'm saying that to eliminate possible confusion.  There are SAPI versions of a lot of voices, including Eloquence.  I would want a lot more information before concluding that the SAPI interface is slow in and of itself and that it isn't just this or that SAPI voice that is slow.