Alpine and Pico

Christopher Gray

Hi:

I use two fairly old pieces of software: the Alpine email client; the Pico text
editor. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get this software to work
with NVDA. It only shows a blank screen for me.

Pico is particularly portable and I'm betting that the two programs have the
same screen issues since they were written by the same source. I haven't
attached it here but sending it via email should be very simple.

Is there a way I can try to diagnose this? Or, might somebody be willing to
look at this who knows more about thwat they are doing?

Many thanks.

Chris

Have you considered Annual Giving or including a gift to Missouri Council of the Blind in
your Will or Estate Plan? Contact me as shown below and I can help you with this.

Christopher Gray, Executive Director
Missouri Council of the Blind

5453 Chippewa
St. Louis, MO 63109
Phone: (314) 832-7172
Toll-free: (800) 342-5632
Fax: (314) 832-7796

Like Jazz? Want to know more about jazz?
Tune into "A Journey into Jazz" with the Jazz Guys on the Global Voice, Chris and Don.
Listen live each Wednesday at 00:00 Utc, 7:00 P.M. Eastern, 4:00 P.M. Pacific
Find us by going to theglobalvoice.info/broadband.pls.
Can't listen live? go to theglobalvoice.info and choose the "Listen to
Past Shows" link any time during the week after each live broadcast.
You can also go to the link www.jazzguys.libsyn.com for the podcasts!
Or, subscribe to us through iTunes or TuneIn Radio.

Do one, the other, or both of these programs have installable versions in addition to portable versions?

If they do, the first thing to try is to install the installable version and see if it interacts (or doesn't interact) with NVDA in the same way.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Luke Davis

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Christopher Gray wrote:

I use two fairly old pieces of software: the Alpine email client; the Pico text
editor. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get this software to work
with NVDA. It only shows a blank screen for me.
Firstly, please clarify: are you using these by installing them on your windows machine, or using them by remote connection (ssh, telnet, etc.) to some Linux/FreeBSD/similar machine?
There is even some kind of web version of alpine that you might be using.

I use alpine every day, and nano which is a more advanced version of the really ancient pico that you are talking about, but not their windows versions.

If you are using versions of these installed on your windows system, can you tell us where you are getting them (with exact download links if possible), so we can test out the exact software you are using?

Pico is particularly portable and I'm betting that the two programs have the
same screen issues since they were written by the same source. I haven't
I'm not sure what you mean by portable in this context, unless you are just talking about the fact that it's a single executable. If that is what you mean, I suggest you don't be sending that to anyone. Who knows what viruses/worms your computer might have, and many email providers (gmail, for example) won't let you send executables anyway.
better to provide download links as I suggested above.

Luke

Christopher Gray

In answer to Brian's question, Alpine has an installable version and as a part
of it, Pico is installed. This did not make a difference in the behavior of
these two programs.

Chris

------------------------------------

Hi:

I use two fairly old pieces of software: the Alpine email client; the Pico
text
editor. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get this software to work
with NVDA. It only shows a blank screen for me.

Pico is particularly portable and I'm betting that the two programs have the
same screen issues since they were written by the same source. I haven't
attached it here but sending it via email should be very simple.

Is there a way I can try to diagnose this? Or, might somebody be willing to
look at this who knows more about thwat they are doing?

Many thanks.

Chris

On Tue, 18 Jun
2019, Brian Vogel via
Groups.Io wrote:

Do one, the other, or both of these programs have installable versions in addition to portable versions?

If they do, the first thing to try is to install the installable version and see if it interacts (or doesn't interact) with NVDA in the same way.

*Puritanism:  The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.*

~ H.L. Mencken

[...]

Hi Luke:

I am using the Windows version of Alpine on a Windows 7 machine. The link to
find the
2.20 release is http://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/ which is actually the
release 2.21. But, there is no binary version of 2.21. Below the discussion of
2.21 are previous releases. I'm using 2.20. If you click its link, you can
then get the binary files for Alpine.

I really appreciate your willingness to have a look at this.

Chris

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019, Luke Davis via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Jason White

On 7/19/19 2:06 PM, Christopher Gray wrote:
Hi Luke:

I am using the Windows version of Alpine on a Windows 7 machine.
An alternative would be to run them under Windows Subsystem for Linux in Windows 10. They're terminal-based Linux programs that should be able to run in that environment quite effectively with NVDA.

It's a long time since I've used Pine/Alpine. I started using Emacs mail software, and Mutt, instead. I still use Mutt when I'm in a Linux console or ssh session and wish to check mail.