Accessible Apps for Writers, Learning NVDA

Bob Cole

Hello, everyone.

I hope it's all right that this is a two-part question.

I'm finally taking some steps to become a more in-depth screen reader user, and I have NVDA installed and ready on my laptop.

I'm trying to get back into writing because it is something I've always enjoyed. I can't afford Microsoft Office. Which free, and even open source apps are the most accessible for this purpose?

Also, where can I find beginner to advanced training materials to learn NVDA in-depth?

Thank you for your help!

Ambassador - Plexus Worldwide

Bob,

          First let me say that your presumption about the expense of Microsoft Office is incorrect these days if you're willing to purchase a recycled license.  Changes in law in the European Union resulted in Microsoft no longer being able to tie Office or Windows single-user licenses to a single specific machine.  So, as machines are being decommissioned a cottage industry has sprung up reselling the licenses from these machines, which is entirely legal.  I have installed Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus on six different computers using recycled licenses acquired via eBay, all of which cost $10 or less.  There are also licenses available for Office 365 as well.

           I believe one of our group regulars, Gene NZ, has a number of NVDA tutorials, for using it with Office and other things, on his website accessibilitycentral.net, specifically on this page:  http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials.html.  Links to additional outside resources are also given on that page.

           NVAccess, the creator of NVDA, has multiple tutorials available from:  https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
There is definitely a book dedicated to MS-Word.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Bob Cole

Thanks for this information!

You mentioned the European Union. I'm actually in California, USA. Did I join the wrong list? Is license recycling also legal here in the USA?

Thank you for the correction, too. I've been away from the PC / Laptop World for several years now.

On Jun 18, 2019, at 10:56 AM, "Bob Cole via Groups.Io" <gmail.com@groups.io target=_blank>rkcole72984=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I hope it's all right that this is a two-part question.

I'm finally taking some steps to become a more in-depth screen reader user, and I have NVDA installed and ready on my laptop.

I'm trying to get back into writing because it is something I've always enjoyed. I can't afford Microsoft Office. Which free, and even open source apps are the most accessible for this purpose?

Also, where can I find beginner to advanced training materials to learn NVDA in-depth?

Thank you for your help!

Ambassador - Plexus Worldwide

Bob,

           The laws were changed in the EU, but the licenses can be resold to anyone, anywhere.  I was just trying to give a bit of the history of the relatively new recycled license market.

           There's one eBay seller at the moment who's got recycled Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus up for $1.90, and plenty more well under $10.  I gambled with a number of the ones I bought, since losing under $5 if it didn't work and the seller disappeared (by the way, which never happened - I had trouble with one license key and was issued an alternate) was no real loss.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Bob Cole

Awesome! Thank you for that information!

I'm definitely going to check into that. As an extension  though, do you know if there are any other accessible applications for writers? I know of LibreOffice, but like I said, it's literally been years since I've been on the Windows side.

I've been a magnification user all of my life so far, what magnification it's really not an option for me when it comes to my laptop. It seems like my vision isn't as good as it used to be. So I'm trying to learn a new way of life.

I really appreciate all of your input.

On Jun 18, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Bob,

           The laws were changed in the EU, but the licenses can be resold to anyone, anywhere.  I was just trying to give a bit of the history of the relatively new recycled license market.

           There's one eBay seller at the moment who's got recycled Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus up for $1.90, and plenty more well under $10.  I gambled with a number of the ones I bought, since losing under $5 if it didn't work and the seller disappeared (by the way, which never happened - I had trouble with one license key and was issued an alternate) was no real loss.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

JM Casey

Libre Office may not have had as much accessibility focus as MS’s Office, but the writer application is certainly very usable with NVDA.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

How about open office. I have not used that app since 2010 on the mac, but will that also work? Will that work for pc users?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 18 Jun 2019, at 13:07, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Hi.

The last time I checked, for some reason, NVDA would not read the menu bars correctly in OpenOffice. It was kind of usable, but not that convenient. By contrast, Open Office writer at least works pretty great with the shark, but Libra seems to work best with nVDA.

[...]

Jackie

Or you can use Markdown, & there's a text editor that supports it at:
www.WriteMonkey.com & it's accessible w/NVDA.

On 6/18/19, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:
Libre Office may not have had as much accessibility focus as MS’s Office,
but the writer application is certainly very usable with NVDA.

Awesome! Thank you for that information!

I'm definitely going to check into that. As an extension though, do you
know if there are any other accessible applications for writers? I know of
LibreOffice, but like I said, it's literally been years since I've been on
the Windows side.

I've been a magnification user all of my life so far, what magnification
it's really not an option for me when it comes to my laptop. It seems like
my vision isn't as good as it used to be. So I'm trying to learn a new way
of life.

I really appreciate all of your input.

<http://bit.ly/rKcOlE729> Robert "Bob" Cole

Ambassador - Plexus Worldwide

On Jun 18, 2019, at 12:51 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com
<mailto:britechguy@gmail.com> > wrote:

Bob,

The laws were changed in the EU, but the licenses can be resold
to anyone, anywhere. I was just trying to give a bit of the history of the
relatively new recycled license market.

There's one eBay seller at the moment who's got recycled
Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus up for $1.90, and plenty more well under $10.
I gambled with a number of the ones I bought, since losing under $5 if it
didn't work and the seller disappeared (by the way, which never happened - I
had trouble with one license key and was issued an alternate) was no real
loss.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

~ H.L. Mencken

Bob Cole

That's definitely another way of going. I thought about trying to learn LaTeX, too, as I have some different ideas for novels, and auto generated table of contents as well as other things certainly sound nice. If I go that route, I'm certain I could use Notepad++, as I believe that's pretty accessible.

My goal at this point is to learn NVDA as best I can, try to find some good, straightforward resources to maybe learn LaTeX, and then get to work.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 05:02 PM, Bob Cole wrote:
I thought about trying to learn LaTeX, too
Not that LaTeX cannot be used by writers, but its focus is really typesetting, which is something the writers I know generally want nothing whatsoever with dealing with.

One of our group regulars, Sarah Alawami, has discussed her initial foray into LaTeX on the Chat Subgroup, which is where this is an appropriate topic.  The Chat Subgroup archive is here, https://nvda.groups.io/g/chat/topics, and searching on latex turns up both of the topics I remember.  The subscription information for the Chat Subgroup is:

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! I am also trying to learn NVDA. I'm having trouble trying to find a more efficent way to check my spelling. Does anyone know if there is a better way to check spelling with NVDA?

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 05:38 PM, Kendra Schaber wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a better way to check spelling with NVDA?
Spell checking is generally a function of the word processor (or other) program you're using rather than the screen reader.  I believe there have been some third party spell checkers discussed either on this group, or the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group, in the past.  Have a look in the archives for both.

NVDA Group Archive:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics

Win10 for Screen Reader Users Archive:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/topics

Any in-depth discussion of spell checking, unless there is a built-in NVDA function that I'm forgetting about, should occur on the Chat Subgroup or elsewhere.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Luke Davis

Open Office does work, I have been using it for years until I bought a recycled license for MS office a couple months ago, as Brian described. However, I have found recent versions of Open Office Writer to do a lot of freezing up and crashing. I have never been able to figure out if it is an NVDA issue or just that OOo doesn't like Windows 10, but I never had such problems in Vista, 7, or 8.1, or even very early versions of windows 10, with various versions of NVDA and Open Office.
It seems to happen after printing, or after an auto-save.

So I really can't recommend it if there are alternatives available.

Luke

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

How about open office. I have not used that app since 2010 on the mac, but will that also work? Will that work for pc users?

Luke Davis

More efficient than what? We can't tell you if there is a better way of doing something, if we don't know what your current method is.

Do you want help using NVDA with the spell check feature of a particular program? If so, what is the program (word processor) that you're using?

Luke

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Kendra Schaber wrote:

Hi all! I am also trying to learn NVDA. I'm having trouble trying to find a more efficent way to check my spelling. Does anyone know if there is a better
way to check spelling with NVDA?

JM Casey

I haven't had this happen to me and OO (Windows 10, 1803), but admittedly
have never tried to print a thing with this software.
Hell, just download Open and Libre office, and decide which you like better.
They're very close to being the same thing, for all intents and purposes.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 06:13 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Do you want help using NVDA with the spell check feature of a particular program? If so, what is the program (word processor) that you're using?
Luke, the following is not "aimed at you," but your comment provides a perfect opportunity for a reminder.

It is presumed that everyone reading this group, with the exception of myself, will be using NVDA with whatever other programs they happen to need it to gain access to.  That, in and of itself, does not make a question about using NVDA.  You can know perfectly well how to use NVDA but not know where in the heck a feature of a given program is or how it's accessed.

If the question is about the spell check feature it's far more likely than not about only that, not confusion about how to control NVDA to get to it.  If that's the case, the discussion belongs on the Chat Subgroup, not the main NVDA group.  Only those who are already members of the NVDA main group may join the chat subgroup.  The idea is to keep discussion of stuff not really about NVDA, but about anything else, out of the main group.

The most recent version of the NVDA Group Welcome Message/Group Rules, includes the following:

Before choosing where to post, please ask yourself the question, “Is what I’m about to ask directly related to controlling or using NVDA, or whether a specific program is accessible with NVDA?”  If that can be answered, “Yes,” then post to the NVDA Group, and if the answer is, “No,” then the topic belongs in the NVDA Chat Subgroup.

That's exactly what members should be doing.  And, again, for reference, the Chat Subgroup addresses are:

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bob,

As well as Brian's suggestion re recycled Office licenses, for word processing, Jarte is a popular free option (there is a paid version with more features for $20): http://www.jarte.com/index.html

Open Office and Libre Office are free, open source Office Suites.  I think from memory NVDA works better with Libre Office, although not as well as Microsoft Office.

Depending on your writing and how you want to check for errors, ProWritingAid is a checker, similar to Grammarly which goes beyond the spelling and grammar checker in Word.  ProWritingAid has an accessible interface here: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor?screenReaderFriendly=true

And finally beginner to advanced training materials for NVDA can be found in the NV Access shop.  I'd recommend starting with the "Basic Training for NVDA", which you can get in various formats either on its own, or in the "NVDA Productivity Bundle" which includes training material for Microsoft Office programs (worthwhile if you do get Microsoft Office rather than one of the other options) as well as telephone support: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Kendra Schafer <redwing731@...>

Hi all! I'm also trying to learn about NVDA. I'm hunting all over the map for efficent ways to check spelling with NVDA and Word on my Dell Pc laptop computer. I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know if there is any efficent way to check spelling with NVDA? Also, I saw your link for Pro Writer. I have never heard of it heard of it before. What is Pro Writer?

[...]

Gene

Do you know how to do things like spell the current word and move by character in a document?  What exactly are you asking about.  Are you asking how to use the spell checker or how to spell when moving through or reading a document.  At present, the question is ambiguous.

For example, do you want to know how to check the spelling of a word in the suggestions list?  If you tell us specifically what you want to know, you will get better help.