Elements not being reported with NVDA

Hi,
STR:
  1. Take a look at this article.
  2. Note that in every link, NVDA just reports "(opens in a new tab").
  3. However, looking at the source code, we can seethe real link with its description.
What's preventing NVDA from reporting the description apparently is an HTML tag. I searched a bit and could understand it but not enough for explain it here, so I'll just give an example.

Look at this part of the article:
We can show you how to (opens in a new tab).

Now its source code:

We can show you how to <a href="https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/run-chkdsk-utility-xp/" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener" aria-label=" (opens in a new tab)">fix file system errors in Windows with CHKDSK</a>. </p>

In light of this, is there any workaround so that NVDA reports the description inside a <a href> tag apart from resorting to the source code of the page?

Finally, maybe this is something that can be fixed in an NVDA update altogether?

Sorry for the long message, but I needed to explain the entire story  before asking my question.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Luke Davis

Yes, there is a way to read these, though it is inconvenient.

Select the link (k or tab or whatever), and enter focus mode (NVDA-space). then read to end of current text (numpad plus on desktop keyboard mode), or use current and next line commands (8-9 on numpad, desktop mode) to read the current text. Then NVDA-space or escape to get back out of focus mode.

This is not the only aria-label issue currently extant, but I don't think I've seen this one mentioned specifically.

You might want to have a look through the issues here, and if this one isn't described anywhere (it's not on the first page of results, but there are a few), post a new one.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+aria-label&=&=&=&=

I tried it in FF and Chrome, and got the same results as you.

Luke

Luke,
Yes, there is a way to read these, though it is inconvenient.
Actually, not inconvenient at all. Using the laptop keyboard it's easy peasy :)
Far from perfect, which would be just land on a link and hear what it's about, but nothing impossible at all.

It's really weird and I never would have thought of something like that. How did you find it out?

You might want to have a look through the issues here, and if this one isn't described anywhere (it's not on the first page of results, but there are a few), post a new one.
Hmmm, I've never dealt with GitHub before. I'll probably do it but I don't know when.

Thanks for your answer. It's definitely appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Jonathan COHN

Actually, this is not an NVDA bug, but a web page bug.

The ARIA-LABEL attribute completely replaces the name of the current element with that label.

I would recommend inserting a graphic to indicate the page will open in a new tab, and then add alternative text for the screen reader. The author could also, use aria-labeledby and use a reference to a bit of hidden text plus the current element but then they are providing information that apparently is not being presented to the sighted user.

With JAWS pressing insert-tab will read various information as it is pressed, and one could eventually get to the true text string. I an not sure if that works in NVDA. JAWS also has the ability to have per a web page settings that override badly written  web pages.

Jonathan