Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:15 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Microsoft Edge

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me how to get Edge to work with NVDA again?  I really miss Edge and I can’t get NVDA to work on anything but IE, I hate IE.  Jaws is an option, but crashes on me at least twice a day and frankly I’m tired of it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

On Edge and Firefox I have to let it read the entire page and cannot stop it or go back to anything else it won’t read anything else.

On IE I can at least read things if I stop it reading, but it’s still not 100%

I’m beginning to think I have a virus that is just messing with everything. I’ll do some checking and update later today. Thanks for the advice Gene!

Your message implies that you have tried other browsers.  What happens when you use NVDA with most browsers.  What you describe isn't expected behavior and may require technical analysis to try to determine what is causing the problem.  Also, the frequency of crashes you are having with JAWS indicates that there may be a problem with your system that needs to be resolved.

Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:15 PM

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me how to get Edge to work with NVDA again?  I really miss Edge and I can’t get NVDA to work on anything but IE, I hate IE.  Jaws is an option, but crashes on me at least twice a day and frankly I’m tired of it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Also, at this point in time, there is nearly dead Edge, which isn't worth dedicating any effort on, and being born Chromium-based Edge, which is handled quite well by screen readers, as it is built on the same foundation as the Google Chrome web browser.

If you're interested in Edge, then you are better off using the development version, which will likely go to production in the second feature update of 2019, or use Chrome instead for the time being, as it's so similar.

If you want the direct download link for the Development (Dev) channel Chromium-based Edge, this is it:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2084648&Channel=Dev&language=en-us&Consent=0&IID=0e01823b-e21a-5c47-9974-3e94850ff9d4

That link takes you directly to download, as I've already consented to license terms before copying it.  If you activate this you should immediately have a Save dialog presented for the Dev Edge installer.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

rayn
use google chrome
NVDA works very good  on chrome

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me how to get Edge to work with NVDA again?  I really miss Edge and I can’t get NVDA to work on anything but IE, I hate IE.  Jaws is an option, but crashes on me at least twice a day and frankly I’m tired of it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a shot.

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me how to get Edge to work with NVDA again?  I really miss Edge and I can’t get NVDA to work on anything but IE, I hate IE.  Jaws is an option, but crashes on me at least twice a day and frankly I’m tired of it.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

Hmmm, thanks Brain, I’ll have to think about it, will probably just go with Chrome.

[...]

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Thanks just using chrome as I am already using chrome on my android and chrome OS devices.

[...]

Luke Davis

Rayn Darren wrote:

On Edge and Firefox I have to let it read the entire page and cannot stop it or go back to anything else it won’t read anything else.
It sounds like you may have skim reading turned on.
Press NVDA+ctrl+k, and look for "allow skim reading in say all". If that is checked, uncheck it. I bet firefox and whatever else will work fine after that.

You might also want to press NVDA+ctrl+b, and uncheck "Automatic say all on page load".

Luke

Gene

Skim reading isn't the problem.  Here is the description of skim reading from the user guide.
Allow skim reading in Say All

If on, certain navigation commands (such as quick navigation in browse mode or moving by line or paragraph) do not stop Say All, rather Say All jumps to the new position and continues reading.----- Original Message -----
The description of the problem is as follows:
>On Edge and Firefox I have to let it read the entire page and cannot stop it or go back to anything else it won’t read anything else.
This is a technical problem and can't be solved by changing settings.

> On Edge and Firefox I have to let it read the entire page and cannot stop it or go back to anything else it won’t read anything else.

It sounds like you may have skim reading turned on.
Press NVDA+ctrl+k, and look for "allow skim reading in say all". If that is
checked, uncheck it. I bet firefox and whatever else will work fine after that.

You might also want to press NVDA+ctrl+b, and uncheck "Automatic say all on page
load".

Luke

Luke Davis

Gene seems quite certain in the conclusion that there is some deeper technical problem going on here, so I will withdraw my suggestion. I admit I was not following this thread closely enough to pick up on whatever he did.

As an aside, I will note that software does not always work as intended in some system configurations or environments. For example, a couple years ago, I experienced a "sticking" effect with skim reading and say all on page load, that looked very much like what Rayn described. It only happened on certain websites, and I don't think I was able to replicate it on another machine, but it did happen, and often enough to be a real pain.

In retrospect, that is unlikely to be what's happening here, it just seemed like a trivial thing to look into or attempt.

Luke

Gene

There's nothing wrong with trying it, but I really doubt it is the problem.  I don't know what problem you had and its possible that I'm wrong that skim reading isn't the problem but the description of what skim reading does is so different that I didn't see the connection.  But if skim reading is on, you might as well turn it off to be sure.  It is a very easy thing to do.