Skipping Lists

Hi guys,
So, suppose I'm on a list of 100 items. Well, it's not always that one has the patience to go through the 100 items, isn't it? That's specially true if this is about me :)
Hence my question: is there any way of skiping a list and keep reading what's after it?
I mean, I could skip it using K or any other similar command but then it would only work if there were a matching element for this command (for example a link).
So, if I only want to skip the list, is there any specific command for this purpose?

For clarification: if I'm on an embedded object, if I use the command NVDA+CTRL+Space I'll be out of it. So I thought there could have a command like this one for lists.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Chris

I think there’s a addon for that I think

Called text nav

Maybe that is what you are looking for?

[...]

Hmmm, I know about this add-on but when I played with it a bit, I couldn't find this option. Maybe something that needs to be configured?

I'll try it again. Thanks for the suggestion :)

P.S.: what is it "[SUSPECT]" on the subject line of your message? Weird!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

The comma key moves me past the first container list, region, table and perhaps Group ) are all defined to be skipped.

The less than sign will move up in much the same way to the beginning of the list or table.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of "Marcio via Groups.Io" <marcinhorj21@...>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM
To: NVDA List <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Jonathan,

The comma key moves me past the first container list, region, table and perhaps Group ) are all defined to be skipped.

The less than sign will move up in much the same way to the beginning of the list or table.
Here, the comma key took me to the end of the article I was reading. I tried it when I was on the list.

Anyway, thanks for your answer :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

You can press comma to get to the end of the list and then the say all key to continue reading.

George

On 6/20/2019 11:09 AM, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi guys,
So, suppose I'm on a list of 100 items. Well, it's not always that one has the patience to go through the 100 items, isn't it? That's specially true if this is about me :)
Hence my question: is there any way of skiping a list and keep reading what's after it?
I mean, I could skip it using K or any other similar command but then it would only work if there were a matching element for this command (for example a link).
So, if I only want to skip the list, is there any specific command for this purpose?

For clarification: if I'm on an embedded object, if I use the command NVDA+CTRL+Space I'll be out of it. So I thought there could have a command like this one for lists.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Luke Davis

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Here, the comma key took me to the end of the article I was reading. I tried it when I was on the list.
Can we see the article in question? because comma is the appropriate key--it moves to the end of the current container. So it generally skips past the current list/table.

Therefore, if you're really in a list, it shouldn't jump to the end of the article.

Luke

Luke,
Can we see the article in question?
Well, actually it happened while I was reading several articles. When I was trying the last, just now, to send to you as an example, the command worked. Go figure!
Maybe certain pages aren't optimized enough to work with NVDA. I should've thought :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

It probably isn't just a question of working with NVDA.  It is probably some sort of incorrect coding.  But is there something usually at the end of lists that you can search for?  I don't have my screen-reader identify any structures but links.  I consider it distracting clutter and a slight waste of time because of extra verbiage.  So I don't know generally what is in lists.  but do lists generally contain actual lists, such as of items?  If so, if you search for a word like and or the, would that take you out of a list in general and somewhere near the beginning of straight text?  I used the Internet before screen-readers identified all these structures and I still consider it important for blind users to find other ways to do things so they can use structures when they work reliably but they aren't overly dependent on them if they aren't there.  Unfortunately, teaching materials and instruction don't teach this way.  It is far better not to rely on the kindness of strangers with no good alternatives, if available.

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Skipping Lists

Luke,
Can we see the article in question?
Well, actually it happened while I was reading several articles. When I was trying the last, just now, to send to you as an example, the command worked. Go figure!
Maybe certain pages aren't optimized enough to work with NVDA. I should've thought :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Felix G.

Hi!
If the thing you'd like to skip is a block of links then n is the
correct command, and if it's a container object such as a list or
table you'd like to skip out of then the comma is the right way.
Sometimes, however, what looks like a list isn't coded as one.
I find it's often a good idea to contact a website owner if their
markup is wrong, and they are mostly willing to correct it as it tends
to solve subtle problems not even connected to accessibility.
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 21. Juni 2019 um 09:14 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>:

[...]

Gene and Felix,

Felix wrote:
If the thing you'd like to skip is a block of links then n is the correct command, and if it's a container object such as a list or table you'd like to skip out of then the comma is the right way.
Actually I never know which command I should use because I don't quite understand what would be considered a block of links.
Is this somethhing like several links in the same line?

I find it's often a good idea to contact a website owner if their markup is wrong, and they are mostly willing to correct it as it tends to solve subtle problems not even connected to accessibility.
Hmmm, something to consider. I'll try it next time something like that happens.

Gene wrote:
is there something usually at the end of lists that you can search for?
Probably there is, but I've never tried it yet. Sounds like a nice workaround :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

A block of links is a number, it may be a small or a large number, of links one following the other.  It doesn't matter if they are on the same line or not.  And I don't use use screen layout if supported, so links all appear on separate lines.  That doesn't matter for what we are discussing but have you tried it and compared it with the default, which is to use it?

I oversimplified my first statement for ease of writing and organizing what I said.  Screen-readers, if there is a small amount of text interrupting a block of links skips that small amount of text and then the other links in the block.  If It doesn't matter how many short text passages there are interrupting blocks of links, they will be skipped.
For example, if there are blocks of links and then the word "news" on a web site to denote the start of news rather than navigation links, in other words links to stories, the word news is skipped.  the point is to get you to substantial amounts of text or text that is more than a few words, which often isn't important.

Try using skip blocks of links on a page, then compare it with using move by heading.  You will find pages where one method works better and other pages where the other does.  You can decide by experimenting and comparing which you want to use as the first choice on pages in general and which as the second choice unless you have something else you would rather use in a general order.  But I find that using one is more often the best way to proceed on a page where I want to skip to text such as an article.  There are pages I am familiar with where something else may be best such as using move by heading and then b to move to a button where articles on that particular web site begin.  I'm talking about how to proceed on unfamiliar sites in terms of what is most likely to produce the most efficient results.  And at times, using move by heading once and then skip blocks of links or visa versa may work best on this or that site.  You can experiment with different mixtures and methods on the same and different sites.

An example, aside from skipping navigation links at the top of a page where the skip blocs of text command is useful is where you see the title of an article and below that link after link such as share with Facebook, Share with Twitter, etc.

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 3:33 AM

Gene and Felix,

Gene wrote:
is there something usually at the end of lists that you can search for?
Probably there is, but I've never tried it yet. Sounds like a nice workaround :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Gene,
Thanks for the answer. It really made things a bit clearer now.
Once, I enabled the other mode where links appear on separate lines. But to be honest I did it more for testing purposes than for anything else because the default mode isn't a problem for me at all.

I'll play with these commands, for moving by headings and skipping a block of links and see what's better and when. Again, thanks :)

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:

Maybe certain pages aren't optimized enough to work with NVDA. I should've thought :)
Well, if it happens again, please send one. There should be no optimization that can effect this. If it's a list, comma should take you to the end of it. Nothing the page author has to do but use an actual HTML list.

Luke