Topics

Somehow I missed this: NVDA reads Kindle books!

Clarissa Mitchell

Hello all. I just wanted to write to say that only today I discovered
NVDA's ability to read Kindle books! :) I've been using NVDA for quite
a while now, as well as the Kindle app for PC, so I'm not sure how I
missed this, as it apparently started with version 2017.1. The only
thing I can think of is not using Kindle for some time. The last time
I used the Kindle app, I had the old version of it installed, you
know, the one where you had to get a special version with the
accessibility plugin added? Then I found out Amazon had a new version
of Kindle for PC that didn't require a special accessibility plugin.
Today I finally re-installed Kindle on my computer, and somehow I
discovered that NVDA could actually read the book, without my needing
to turn on the text to speech feature! This is way cool! :) Wondering
when this was added to NVDA, I looked it up and found this page:
https://www.nvaccess.org/kindle/

Thanks NV Access! I think now I'll be buying more Kindle books!

Here's the keyboard shortcuts page if anybody wants to look. I usually read with the IOS app because it has automatic Goodreads syncing, and I think the PC version does not, but I tried it 2 years ago and really liked it.

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! I didn't know that Kindle was accessible with NVDA! I uke the Kindle app on my Iphone. I have never tried it on a PC laptop computer before.

Thank you for taking the time to read this Email!
Blessed be!!!
Kendra Schaber
Chemeketa Community College,
350 Org,
Citizen’s Climate Lobby,
National Federation of the Blind of Oregon,
Capitol Chapter,
Salem, Oregon.
Home Email:
Redwing731@...
Chemeketa Community College Email:
Kschaber@...
Phone:
971-599-9991
“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”, Author unknown.
SE.
Sent from my Gmail Email

Here's the keyboard shortcuts page if anybody wants to look. I usually read with the IOS app because it has automatic Goodreads syncing, and I think the PC version does not, but I tried it 2 years ago and really liked it.

Adel Spence

is this app fre?

[...]

Luke Davis

All Amazon apps are free, including Kindle, whether it is for PC, your phone, or something else.
The books, however, usually aren't free, although there are often promotions where you can get free or discounted Kindle books (http://ereaderiq.com, for example, will email you every day with some of these).

Luke

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! There is also Kindle Unlimited where you can read any book at any time. Ok, you can only check out 10 books at a time, but there is no due date and no upper limit except for checking out up to 10 books at one time and it's 10 bucks per month.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear", Author unknown.
Thank you for reading this email! Also, please note that I have eighth grade spelling. I'm well known for my spelling mistakes. Ironicly, writing is one of my gifts.
Blessed be!
Kendra Schaber,
Student at Chemeketa Community College,
Member of 350.ORG Salem,
Member of the National Federation of the Blind ofOregon, Capitol Chapter.
Writing on my Polaris Braille Sense. Using Gmail and Outlook.

All Amazon apps are free, including Kindle, whether it is for PC, your phone, or
something else.
The books, however, usually aren't free, although there are often promotions
where you can get free or discounted Kindle books (http://ereaderiq.com, for
example, will email you every day with some of these).

Luke

Luke Davis

We are getting a bit far afield from the topic of the list, I think, but I have to point out two things here:

1. Kindle Unlimited can be less than $10 per month, if you buy a one or two year subscription during the week of Prime Day (sometime in July); and
2. You can only get books that are in the Kindle Unlimited program--many aren't, although many are.

Luke

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019, Kendra Schaber wrote:

Hi all! There is also Kindle Unlimited where you can read any book at any time. Ok, you can only check out 10 books at a time, but there is no due date and
no upper limit except for checking out up to 10 books at one time and it's 10 bucks per month.

Kendra Schaber <kschaber@...>

Hi all! I was pointing out what is avalible with Kindle. I was not trying to stray off topic. Oops!

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear", Author unknown.
Thank you for reading this email! Also, please note that I have eighth grade spelling. I'm well known for my spelling mistakes. Ironicly, writing is one of my gifts.
Blessed be!
Kendra Schaber,
Student at Chemeketa Community College,
Member of 350.ORG Salem,
Member of the National Federation of the Blind ofOregon, Capitol Chapter.
Writing on my Polaris Braille Sense. Using Gmail and Outlook.
Go Detroit, Redwings! Go Pittsburgh, Penguins! Go Portland, Winterhawks! Go Baltimore, Oriels! Go Baltimore, Ravens! Go Oregon State Beavers baseball and football teams!

We are getting a bit far afield from the topic of the list, I think, but I have
to point out two things here:

1. Kindle Unlimited can be less than $10 per month, if you buy a one or two year
subscription during the week of Prime Day (sometime in July); and
2. You can only get books that are in the Kindle Unlimited program--many aren't,
although many are.

Luke

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019, Kendra Schaber wrote:

> Hi all! There is also Kindle Unlimited where you can read any book at any time. Ok, you can only check out 10 books at a time, but there is no due date and
> no upper limit except for checking out up to 10 books at one time and it's 10 bucks per month.

Danni

another site that offers discounted and often free books for kindle as well as other options is www.bookbub.com

All Amazon apps are free, including Kindle, whether it is for PC, your phone, or something else.
The books, however, usually aren't free, although there are often promotions where you can get free or discounted Kindle books (http://ereaderiq.com, for example, will email you every day with some of these).

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

Well, next time I want to study for law via the power book I was reading on kindle in 2017 I'll know it will be more accessible, or at least more accessible by what ever time that is, or if I have to study somethingn for a job etc.

This is good good news, and it could only get better with nvda eh?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luke Davis" luke@...
All Amazon apps are free, including Kindle, whether it is for PC, your phone, or something else.
The books, however, usually aren't free, although there are often promotions where you can get free or discounted Kindle books (http://ereaderiq.com, for example, will email you every day with some of these).

Luke

If anybody wants to read my kindle book with NVDA, LOL! Click below. Okay, all done with the self-promotion. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8HVC3M/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

Yeah, because Amazon decided to allow you to use your own screen reader to read the books 2-3 years ago. It’s a nice feature sometimes. Although I still prefer the TTS on the Kindle for PC, which is also still available.