Accessibility of Free Website Creators

Hi everyone. I hope this isn't off-topic for some of the lists I'm sending this to. I wanted to send it wherever there might be someone who could help me. I'm creating some groups for people with multiple disabilities (see survey link in my signature), and I want to create a website where I'll list links to the group on different platforms and maybe other things like news about the groups or my contact information. I'm on a fixed income, so I don't have the money to pay for the website. In case it helps, I have some experience writing HTML and can look up whatever I don't know. I can write CSS as well if I have sighted help. Does anyone know of a free website creator that's accessible with NVDA? Thanks.

--
Lanie Molinar
Disability Rights Advocate and Software Engineering Student at Brigham Young University-Idaho (https://www.byui.edu)

Rayn Darren <rayndarren@...>

HI Lanie,

I'll be happy to help you make the site, please feel free to email me at rayndarren@...

Sarah

On 6/26/2019 9:32 PM, Lanie Molinar wrote:
Hi everyone. I hope this isn't off-topic for some of the lists I'm sending this to. I wanted to send it wherever there might be someone who could help me. I'm creating some groups for people with multiple disabilities (see survey link in my signature), and I want to create a website where I'll list links to the group on different platforms and maybe other things like news about the groups or my contact information. I'm on a fixed income, so I don't have the money to pay for the website. In case it helps, I have some experience writing HTML and can look up whatever I don't know. I can write CSS as well if I have sighted help. Does anyone know of a free website creator that's accessible with NVDA? Thanks.

To actually answer your question, freewebs.com is reasonably accessible, with a few unlabeled buttons that can be OCR'd if you really need to know the button. But, the best bet, as of now, is wordpress.com. Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, are not accessible with the keyboard at all. Give free webs dot com a try and if that does not work, use wordpress.com. Sincerely, a person who actually tried to answer your question.