nvda gets stuck on something called landscape

marvin kotler

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

sounds like a display issue. I would not change it as if you do your sightlings will have to turn their head sideways to see the screen properly. Have you tried hitting windows d to get to the desktop? I'm guessing now, also check for driver updates just in case?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 27 Jun 2019, at 11:42, marvin kotler wrote:

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

JM Casey

Well, not sure, but it sounds like screen orientation. Never had this come up with windows but I definitely keep my phone locked in portrait rather than landscape mode. Um, could you have turned on tablet mode by accident?

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

JM Casey

Yeah, I wasn’t really thinking properly yet when I wrote that last message; if you have a standard PC monitor you will probably want it to display in landscape rather than portrait, which is, I think, generally more suited for phones and such with narrow displays.

sounds like a display issue. I would not change it as if you do your sightlings will have to turn their head sideways to see the screen properly. Have you tried hitting windows d to get to the desktop? I'm guessing now, also check for driver updates just in case?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 27 Jun 2019, at 11:42, marvin kotler wrote:

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

But changing the screen orientation using shortcuts, which often happens inadvertently, doesn't cause this problem.  it sounds to me as though the tablet mode guess may well be correct.  I haven't looked to any extent at information, but results of a Google search seem to indicate that in table mode autorotation occurs under certain conditions.  So instructing on how to leave tablet mode may well solve the problem.

[...]

I made a typographical error in my last message and wrote table mode instead of tablet mode in one sentence.

Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 3:05 PM

[...]

I'm not mod, but perhaps moving this to the chat group would probably be more feasible. See the message archives for the link tot he nvda sub group or go to groups.io, click on your groups, click on nvda, click the at sign then click sub groups.

Take care

On 27 Jun 2019, at 12:59, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

Marvin

What is a "hard restart"? To me, that's holding the power button for five seconds to force a shutdown, which is not a good thing to ever do if you can avoid it. Since there are probably ways to avoid it here, I wanted to find out if that is actually what you're doing.

As for what's happening: it's the tablet mode thing, as other answers have explained.
It isn't an NVDA problem, it is a Windows one.

Either you're on a laptop (such as One of those ridiculous HP Stream X360 models) that switch to tablet mode when you bend the screen back far enough, in which case the keyboard is disabled and tablet mode is activated, or something you're doing is turning on tablet mode manually.

In any case, a google search for: '"get out of tablet mode" windows 10', gives this as its sixth result:
https://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t63010625/windows-10-another-glitch-called-tablet-mode/
and this as its second result:
https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-stuck-in-tablet-mode/

One of those will almost certainly help you, and if not, there are other results in that search.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22get+out+of+tablet+mode%22+windows+10&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

Luke

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019, marvin kotler wrote:

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar
and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for
something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Get the latest drivers.

Amd 2019.6.3 is out and yeah it works.

On 28/06/2019 7:31 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

sounds like a display issue. I would not change it as if you do your sightlings will have to turn their head sideways to see the screen properly. Have you tried hitting windows d to get to the desktop? I'm guessing now, also check for driver updates just in case?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 27 Jun 2019, at 11:42, marvin kotler wrote:

Good afternoon listers; first, running latest version of nvda and windows 1903.  When something called landscape comes up, nvda gets stuck on the taskbar and will go nowhere else.  I have to do a hard restart of the computer when this happens.  My question is what is landscape; can I get rid of this for something else more friendly? Thanks in advance.

Marv

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

No the display driver has crashed.

Check for updates, the latest optional amd works, nvidia depends on your card.

Amd it depends on your card but only if you use hd below 8000x and higher.