From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2019 11:50:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Moving Forward on the NVDA Group #adminnotice

Moving Forward on the NVDA Group

Back in April, an admin notice entitled, Important: List Conduct, was posted, followed very shortly after by, NVDA List: A Reboot, both of which outlined the refocusing of the NVDA group on its reason for being.  That reason is assisting with questions directly related to the configuration and use of NVDA itself.  By extension, that covers add-ons, working with synthesizers and Braille display setup, and asking about other programs strictly with regard as to whether they are accessible, or to what extent they are accessible, using NVDA.

The NVDA group has over a thousand members, and each and every message to the group is an imposition on the time of those members (including this one, for which we apologize to many).   Our hope had been that a request from group leadership for a refocusing would have been enough to achieve it, but that has not occurred.

We have tried gently redirecting non-NVDA-related content to the NVDA Chat Subgroup or other appropriate venues, and also tried being more directive in recent weeks hoping this might do the trick, but it has not.  So, we are now faced with doing what we had not wished to, and that is heavy-handed moderation, at least for the time being.

Before sending any message to the group, it is imperative that you ask yourself, “Is what I’m about to ask or offer directly related to controlling or using NVDA, or whether a specific program is accessible with NVDA?” If the answer is not a direct and simple, “Yes,” please do not send that message to the NVDA group.  If you do, it will be promptly locked and a canned message regarding off-topic messages added.  Instead, join the NVDA Chat Subgroup and send it there, or to another venue.

The lack of subscribers to the NVDA Chat Subgroup is indicative of one or both of the following:

1.        There is a lack of member interest in discussing non-NVDA-related content with other members of the group, since only members of a main group may join a subgroup.  This is perfectly fine, since membership is optional by design.

2.      There is a belief that not asking the above-mentioned question, and having an honest “yes” as the answer, should not be a deterrent to posting whatever one wishes on the NVDA group.  This is not fine, and will not become fine, either.

We do not have the capability to move topics between the main group and the chat subgroup, or we would have been doing so, and there is no indication that this function will be forthcoming from Groups.io.

So, if you wish to engage in non-NVDA-related discussions, and it appears that a great many do, you will need to join the chat subgroup or take them to another venue where they are on-topic.  Again, for your records, the NVDA Chat Subgroup addresses are:

In closing, we repeat the final paragraph of the administrative message regarding list conduct:

If you have read this far, thank you. I hope, that with your help, we can scale back the thread hijacking, the off-topic messages, and the many repetitive posts in order to make this place a more inviting community for everyone who wishes to learn about, or help out with NVDA. Thank you for being part of this list, and thank you for your contributions. I hope they will continue. If, after you read this far, you choose to leave the list, however, please do so, please don't announce it before you leave because I don't care that you are leaving, and please feel free to return if you wish at a later time.

Nimer Jaber

NVDA Group Owner

Brian Vogel

NVDA Group Moderator

David Moore

Hi!

I use Google drive with NVDA a lot!

I have a tutorial that Joseph Lee did in 2018, that goes through using NVDA from beginning to end.

AFB, I believe has an audio tutorial that has 10 parts that goes over using Google Drive and Docs.

I can’t get my hands on the tutorials right now, but I know I have them uploaded to a cloud service, so I could just paste a link for both the NVDA and Google Drive tutorials.

Please email me off line, because I can really help you!

Email:

Jesusloves1966@...

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello, I am needing help with google drive it is my first time using this platform, teaching college online and the system used for communication and sharing and documents is google drive.  Also I am not a real experienced NVDA user: Very experienced computer user, just some what new to NVDA.  Any help would be greatful, also willing to pay someone for some quick 1-1 help.

[...]

Danny Keys <djkeys@...>

hello,

I would also be interested in the NVDA tutorials.

Thank you.

Danny Keys

On Jun 28, 2019, at 2:40 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

[...]

This topic has been split from the Admin Notice.  The title now matches the content.

Any follow-up offering links to tutorials related to using NVDA with Google Drive should be placed in this topic.   If actual in-depth discussion of using Google Drive is desired, please start a topic on the Chat Subgroup.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

hurrikennyandopo ...

hi david

Are you referring to the tutorials on this page at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/NVDA%20screen%20reader%20related%20resources.html

I know i put Josephs link to his tutorials there as well as the other one from APH.

The link from the main page of the website is working but it seems the others linked to this page are broken. looks like some fixing.

Guess that is life.

I will fix it in the next few days.

Gene nz

On 29/06/2019 9:40 AM, David Moore wrote:

[...]

Hey Gene!

I have the NVDA tutorial uploaded to Google Drive, and I send it out with that as well.

Great to hear from you!

I have been so busy!

Talk soon!

·         Subscribe: chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io