NVDA crash.

Chantelle Buys

Afternoon everyone.

I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome
and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.

I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would
restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what
but, I've never had this problem before.

The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a
dangerous turn.
Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that
Winston had eradicated."

Here's the link to the chapter
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day

Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?

Thanks.

Chantelle
--
Never give up, at any cost.

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

I have the same issue here, very strange indeed.

cheers,

Mo.

On 29/06/2019 11:54, Chantelle Buys wrote:
Afternoon everyone.

I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome
and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.

I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would
restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what
but, I've never had this problem before.

The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a
dangerous turn.
Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that
Winston had eradicated."

Here's the link to the chapter
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day

Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?

Thanks.

Chantelle

Luke Davis

To Chantelle and Mobeen:
What version of NVDA (NVDA menu -> help -> about), and what synth?
Also, how are you reading this? Line by line or continuous reading?

Luke

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019, Chantelle Buys wrote:

I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome
and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.

I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would
restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what
but, I've never had this problem before.

The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a
dangerous turn.
Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that
Winston had eradicated."

Here's the link to the chapter
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day

Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?

Gene

What synthesizer are you using?  At this point, we don't know if there is something on the page that is causing NVDA to crash or the synthesizer being used.  Try using a different synthesizer and see what happens.

I may look at the page but I suspect this is a synthesizer issue since it always crashes at the same place while speaking text.

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 5:54 AM
To: nvda
Subject: [nvda] NVDA crash.

[...]

The issue seems to be with the eloquence synthesiser at this end. ESpeak and one core voices don't crash but eloquence does. It will be interesting to see if the OP is using eloquence. NVDA 2019.1.1, windows 10, firefox 67.0.4.

cheers,

Mo.

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 5:54 AM
To: nvda

Afternoon everyone.

I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome
and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.

I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would
restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what
but, I've never had this problem before.

The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a
dangerous turn.
Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that
Winston had eradicated."

Here's the link to the chapter
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day

Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?

Thanks.

Chantelle
--
Never give up, at any cost.

hello.
i tested your link with my favorite version, (nvda 2017.2) and could
not reproduce the crash.
i even read books with hundreds of pages via nvda and did not observe
crash or unresponsiveness.

On 6/29/19, Chantelle Buys <cbuys6@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Tyler Spivey

Simple. The word you' re' ll (without the spaces) further down the chapter crashes Eloquence.

Congrats, you found one I didn't know about.

On 6/29/2019 3:54 AM, Chantelle Buys wrote:
Afternoon everyone.
I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome
and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.
I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would
restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what
but, I've never had this problem before.
The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a
dangerous turn.
Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that
Winston had eradicated."
Here's the link to the chapter
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day
Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?
Thanks.
Chantelle

Chantelle Buys

Hi.

I'm using continuous reading and the version of NVDA's 2019.1.1.

Chantelle

On 6/29/19, Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net> wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Wo! Can code factory be notified of this so they can fix it if at all possible?

That's a new one.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 29 Jun 2019, at 5:34, Tyler Spivey wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Finished reading the chapter at the end with NVDA's own voice. :-)

Chantelle

Wo! Can code factory be notified of this so they can fix it if at all
possible?

That's a new one.

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com) This is also our libsyn page as
well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go
[here.](http://www.tffppodcast.com/premium)
and for hosting options go [here](http://www.tffppodcast.com/hosting)

Our [telegram](https://t.me/tffppodcast) channel is also a good place
for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

[here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

[...]

You don't have to do that.  You could just use a different voice a little before the problem text and then read a little past where the crash occurred.  That's so that if Eloquence crashes before it gets a chance to speak what caused the crash, you won't make it crash again.  So read maybe a sentence or two after the part where it crashes.  Then stop reading and switch back to the Eloquence.  It is one specific bit of text that causes the crash.  It isn't repeated, its something a character says and there is no reason to expect that he will say it again.  It has nothing to do with where you are in the text.  Anywhere, in any text, that that exact set of characters occurs, Eloquence will crash.  But it is extremely uncommon because, it was text written in a dialect for what one character said.

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA crash.

--
Never give up, at any cost.

For anyone who wants to contact Code Factory about anything, a good starting point is their Contact Us page.   I could find nothing support-specific or trouble-reporting specific, but if they care at all (and I would presume they will) you'll get routed wherever your message needs to land.

And since you can't use a screen reader without a synth, and there's an issue between NVDA and a synth it should work with, this is definitely related to using and configuring NVDA.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Chantelle Buys

Hi.

Yes, I've used another voice.

Just thought to tell you guys about it. I mean, this doesn't happen
everyday right?

Chantelle

For anyone who wants to contact Code Factory about anything, a good starting
point is their Contact Us page ( https://codefactoryglobal.com/contact-us/
).   I could find nothing support-specific or trouble-reporting specific,
but if they care at all (and I would presume they will) you'll get routed
wherever your message needs to land.

And since you can't use a screen reader without a synth, and there's an
issue between NVDA and a synth it should work with, this is definitely
related to using and configuring NVDA.

*Puritanism:  The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.*

~ H.L. Mencken

--
Never give up, at any cost.

Sarah k Alawami

It's still best to contact code factory and see if they will at least give it a look, if not, then I guess you tried, and that's all you can do.

Take care

On 29 Jun 2019, at 12:19, Chantelle Buys wrote:

[...]

Arlene

Confirm your problem. I am using google Chrome with the latest NVDA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've just come across a problem and after testing it on google chrome

and internet explorer I think that it may be NVDA.

I'm trying to read a chapter of a story but, halfway down NVDA would

restart. I don't know if it's because of the amount of text or what

but, I've never had this problem before.

The restarts happens when it gets to the line. "Things were taking a

dangerous turn.

Biggs picked up a branch that was tangled in the long-dried weeds that

Winston had eradicated."

Here's the link to the chapter

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13258648/35/A-Quiet-Day

Can someone test it and see if their NVDA does this as well?

Thanks.

Chantelle

--

Never give up, at any cost.

Sarah k Alawami

AAre you also usign eloquence? We've I think already confirmed it is a problem with a word, or something. If you are, contact code factory and se if they can fix it.

Take care and good luck.

On 29 Jun 2019, at 21:09, Arlene wrote:

[...]

, I’m using e speak on NVDA. I couldn’t confirm the problem.  I don’t have eloquence for NVDA. Only Jaws.  I’m using the latest build for NVDA and windows ten.

[...]

Was it only for Eloquence?  I don’t have it on NVDA.  That explains why it did not crash for me.  I’m using E speak with what NVDA came with.  That’s all I’m using.  I’m using the latest build and windows ten.