Problem With Microsoft Insiders Page For Downloading and Testing The New Edge Browser

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

To reproduce this issue:
1.  Visit https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/
2.  Navigate to the Dev (development version) the best stable version.
3.  There is a button associated with the download of this browser for Windows 10.
4.  Try activating it.
5.  The result is that whether you press enter, space bar or route review to the button and left click, nothing happens.

I would be interested to see if anyone else experiences the same issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

This has been discussed at length on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users forum, and it's not just you and it's not just screen reader users.  That page is more than a bit of an accessibility nightmare even for those of us trying to simply point and click.

My response on the Win10 group, with a direct download link, because the page is "irregular" in more ways than one:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/35885

Direct download link for Development MS-Edge, which brings up a save dialog immediately (and I just tested it and it's still working):
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2084648&Channel=Dev&language=en-us&Consent=0&IID=0e01823b-e21a-5c47-9974-3e94850ff9d4

All indications are that the issues with this page are not directly related to any screen reader, but due to irregular web coding.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Rui Fontes

Hello!

You wrote:
4.  Try activating it.
5.  The result is that whether you press enter, space bar or route review to the button and left click, nothing happens.
After that, press H and you will land in a section about licensing terms...
With Tab you will move to a link named Accept and download ...

Rui Fontes

I would be interested to see if anyone else experiences the same issue.

Sarah k Alawami

There is an agree etc that opens up below the dl section. If you use your button nav you should be able to find it. After that, go back up to the dl section after excepting the license agreement.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 29 Jun 2019, at 17:22, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

To reproduce this issue:
1.  Visit https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/
2.  Navigate to the Dev (development version) the best stable version.
3.  There is a button associated with the download of this browser for Windows 10.
4.  Try activating it.
5.  The result is that whether you press enter, space bar or route review to the button and left click, nothing happens.

I would be interested to see if anyone else experiences the same issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Post 3 explained how to do it, but I want to say it again for anybody who refuses to, or does not know how to, look at threads on the website. I'm not following this thread, so it's very possible I'm adding to a repeating chain as we speak, but anyway, here we go!

  1. After hitting enter on the download button, there is a pop out module, thing, that dims the screen a bit. For screen reader users, it has a giant heading that says terms and agreement.
  2. Once focus is on that heading, enter focus mode and then hit tab. Sure, you can do this without focus mode, but whatever.
  3. Hit enter on the link that says, agree and download.

I spent five minutes looking for a checkbox, a button, something other than a link.

If it helps, sighted people think the page is broken too. For sighties, I'm told, it appears in a very tiny square window at the bottom right of the screen.

I'm waiting on the beta. All the same, I'm extremely excited for the release of this new Edge. I can't wait to replace this Edge with the new stable Edge.

Gene

I'll look at the page but my question before looking is whether the I agree button is there before you activate the button.  Whether it is or not, the thread brings up a screen-reader question.  Could NVDA be made to know when the screen changes in response to an action?  For example, now and then, something will come up or change on a web page when a user activates a button that the user doesn't expect or know about.  It wouldn't be a good idea to have screen-readers automatically read every change that occurs on screen.  But in specific instances, it would be important.

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem With Microsoft Insiders Page For Downloading and Testing The New Edge Browser

[...]

I just looked at what happens when you activate the button.  a license agreement is presented at the bottom of the page, as shown by a screen-reader.  To a sighted person, the agreement might be along the right of the page, I don't know.  To a blind user, the accept and download link is the last thing on the page, below the lisence agreement.

I asked about NVDA speaking new content after an action is taken such as activating a button.  But this page illustrates the difficulty in implementing such a feature.  You probably wouldn't want the license agreement read, just the accept and agree button or maybe a senteence of the license agreement and then the button, to alert the reader that both are now present.  But that sort of detailed response might not be practical.
So how, if at all, should a screen-reader react under such circumstances?

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 8:33 PM

[...]

When I first saw clickables etc way back a zillion years ago, I remember jfw saying Page changed at line x. You would then go to line x and see the change. Maybe something like that?

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 8:33 PM

[...]

That wasn't for clickable items.  That was for mouse over links.  But perhaps something like that might be done for what I'm discussing.  The problem is how the screen-reader would know when to report something.  With mouse over links it did so when you used a special mouse over command, but this would be for activating standard controls.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 8:33 PM

[...]

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Usually, I'm pretty good at scopingout such issues, but this time, you had to read through the whole license agreement and then way at the very end was an actual link that said 'accept and download.'  A bit clumsy, but usable once you know what is going on.

On 6/29/2019 8:43 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!

You wrote:
4.  Try activating it.
5.  The result is that whether you press enter, space bar or route review to the button and left click, nothing happens.
After that, press H and you will land in a section about licensing terms...
With Tab you will move to a link named Accept and download ...

Rui Fontes

I would be interested to see if anyone else experiences the same issue.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

Once you click on the Windows 10 button for download, scroll down to the bottom of page. You'll notice a link tagged "Accept and download." You click/press [Enter] on it to begin the download process. There are also two other check boxes for acceptance of terms (Which are checked as default) right above that link.

Whenever you encounter a situation when clicking on a link or button element on a webpage and nothing seems to happen, scroll down to the very bottom of the page. ([Ctrl+End]) Then start arrowing up to locate related information linked to what you clicked. You can also navigate to the very top of the page ([Ctrl+Home]) and start arrowing down. There's usually some sort of Html popover page that has been triggered that you need to interact with to continue the process.