Contact

Luke Davis

Ibrahim

It is more helpful to say exactly what version of NVDA you are using, not just that it's the latest version. We have no way to be sure that you are aware of what the latest version is, so it is always best to provide the actual number. This is found in the NVDA menu, under help, then about.

It would also be good to know what other applications you are running when this happens. Are you running some version of Office? Which web browsers? Does it only happen when certain websites are open?

I have observed this kind of problem before, but it usually happens because very specific applications are either crashing, or are consuming most system resources.

Luke

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:

Please I want to know if the NVDA screen reader can be repaired. The
screen reader has been behaving abnormally for some time now.
It crashes unexpectedly, and some times does not make programs work.
When I am working on a website, the screen reader just stops talking,
creating problems for me, trying to figure out what might have gone
wrong. When I try to find out what the problem is by pressing alt+tab
to switch programs, all I hear is unknown or icon icon.
Now when I get frustrated and I want to shut down the computer, I am
made to understand that a number of programs are not allowing windows
to shut down.
Are there any solutions to these problems?
I use windows 7 32 bit, and I have the latest version of NVDA.

hi quentin.
i have this issue for awhile and even my laptop becomes unusable for
thirty minutes!
overheating my laptop, unresponsiveness of my keyboard and nvda says unknown.
its because some websites use heavy javascript, and eat system
resources that make my computer unusable!
if i disable javascript or use lite websites, i dont have this issue!
i really wish and pray that one day i see disappearing javascript from
the world of technology and internet! i really hate this terrible
technology!

Dear Ibrahim,

We've seen similar issues arise when programs have been installed or
uninstalled - not every time, but occasionally. There is a feature in NVDA
to attempt to repair this. If you can run NVDA, press NVDA+n, then T for
Tools. Then press R for "Run COM Registration fixing tool" and press ENTER
twice to run this tool. After running, and then rebooting your computer,
ideally, the problem should be fixed. Please do advise how you go with
this.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 12:16 PM Ibrahim Ajayi <kobisko@...> wrote:

Hello:
Please I want to know if the NVDA screen reader can be repaired. The
screen reader has been behaving abnormally for some time now.
It crashes unexpectedly, and some times does not make programs work.
When I am working on a website, the screen reader just stops talking,
creating problems for me, trying to figure out what might have gone
wrong. When I try to find out what the problem is by pressing alt+tab
to switch programs, all I hear is unknown or icon icon.
Now when I get frustrated and I want to shut down the computer, I am
made to understand that a number of programs are not allowing windows
to shut down.
Are there any solutions to these problems?
I use windows 7 32 bit, and I have the latest version of NVDA.
Hope my problem is well understood.
Hope to read a response.
Ibrahim.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 <https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-2beta1-released/>
now available!

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi again

When you alt/tab does it say the name of the app that is in focus? if you have a few windows open if i do that it will say the name then i can use the alt key + f4 key to close each window then shut down the computer.

Down on your running application down on the task bar does it say what each one is like internet explorer etc or does it just say unknown?

Along with unknown or pane in all of your browsers or is it speaking in the web pages?

Depending what is mentioned is wheather you need to run the Run COM Registration Fixing tool... tool found under the tools menu. But do not think you have to go there.

Gene nz

On 2/07/2019 2:16 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
Hello:
[...]

you could always Reset configuration to factory defaults in NVDA.

If you can get into the menus of NVDA by pressing the NVDA key + letter N then arr-owing down to that menu then pressing the enter key it will then put it back to when you first got it.

You will also when it has done it need to quit nvda then start it again. it will then give you the message like keyboard layout etc then after you have tabbed to the ok button then pressed the enter key it will be back to like when it was first installed.

But before you do that what else is it not doing? Is it like saying unknow or pane in all of your browsers? etc depending what it is doing could you say any other problems?

[...]

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hello: