virtual machine software

Hi all.

So over on chat, there is a thread about my podcast on virtual machines.

However, I thought I'd ask a little of it.

What software should I be using.

I know vmware is popular but I was thinking about virtualbox, however since I want a user to be able to do things, is virtualbox accessible.

Is there a keyboard list for both virtualbox and vmware to cycle machines, etc.

Should I try others?

Is for example windows hyper v worth it since its inbuilt with windows 10, or am I wasting my time.

Obviously this will be a 1 machine deal, as I am a home user, no paying 200-500 dollars for virtual machine software.

So are there any other bits of software other than vmware I should bother with, and any tips.

I have done this 10 years ago but now I have the hardware virtualisation and the resources and power I want to try again.

David Mehler

Hi,

What's the url for your podcast?

I use vmware.

Hth
Dave.

[...]

Sile

Personally I’ve always found Boot Camp to be much more stable. Unless there’s a particular reason for flipping between Mac and windows in real time, today’s machines are so fast that it really doesn’t take long to boot up into the other operating system if you need to. In my experience, virtual machines including VMware have always had random issues with drivers under windows in particular.

Sile

On Jul 3, 2019, at 7:31 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:

[...]

I have not set up the cast yet.

Actually, I havn't a place to put it, I was going to run it off dropbox, unless that is I should go and set up on some sort of podcast site.

Email me off list if you want to help with that I havn't gotten that far.

On 4/07/2019 2:55 PM, David Mehler wrote:
[...]

.

Well I don't have a mac, the vms will be from a purely windows/linux point of view.

I will be using windows as host, but anyway, any one wanting to continue this need to go to chat.

On 4/07/2019 4:51 PM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Christian Schoepplein

Hej,

Am 04.07.2019 um 04:31 schrieb Shaun Everiss:
What software should I be using.
I know vmware is popular but I was thinking about virtualbox, however since I want a user to be able to do things, is virtualbox accessible.
Yes, it is, at least with the latest stable NVDA release. and you also can use the command line to setup and configure virtual machines.

I know VMware Player 14, VMware Workstation 14 and VMware Workstation 15 and the latest VirtualBox release. All can be used with NVDA more or less comftable.

Personaly I'd use VirtualBox, because its free and open source. I need to run linux inside my VMs and therefore I need to use a braille display, but unfortunatly I was not able to connect my Handytech braille display via a virtual usb port to the Linux VM setup with VirtualBox. It was much easier to setup with VMware, thats why use VMware at the moment, but maybe I'll switch in future.

If you do not have that problems with a braille display attaching to the VM, use VirtualBox, othervice use VMware. If you only need to run one VM and have not the need to use more VMs at the same time, you can use the free VMware player. If you need to run more VM at the same time, VMware Workstation is OK, but as said, only if VirtualBox does not work on your system.

Regarding HyperV I only can say, that running linux inside is not possible, at least if you need to output sound. Thats why I not longer tested HyperV. If you like to run VMs with Windows inside, it might also be a good choice.

Cheers,

Schoepp