Topics

Reading epub books with NVDA

Felix G.

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with
NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional
content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be
complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not
what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading
without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

Andy B.

Hi,

Have you tried Edge? It opens epub files, and it works with NVDA for the most part.

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with

NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional

content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be

complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.

I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not

what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading

without jumping through hoops.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

Felix G.

Hi,
with Edge, NVDA sees only the first portion of the book, and now
amount of arrowing down will get me to the next page at some point.
Also, how do I get to the table of contents? There's a toolbar button
called table of contents, but when I press it, nothing seems to
happen.
What's the secret to reading an epub with NVDA and Edge efficiently?
Best,
Felix

Am Sa., 6. Juli 2019 um 10:55 Uhr schrieb Andy B. <sonfire11@...>:

Hi,

Have you tried Edge? It opens epub files, and it works with NVDA for the most part.

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with

NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional

content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be

complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.

I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not

what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading

without jumping through hoops.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

Andy B.

Hi,

If you press F1 while in Edge, there is a help segment that includes keyboard shortcuts for epub files. It should tell you how to navigate your epub file.

with Edge, NVDA sees only the first portion of the book, and now

amount of arrowing down will get me to the next page at some point.

Also, how do I get to the table of contents? There's a toolbar button

called table of contents, but when I press it, nothing seems to

happen.

What's the secret to reading an epub with NVDA and Edge efficiently?

Best,

Felix

Am Sa., 6. Juli 2019 um 10:55 Uhr schrieb Andy B. <sonfire11@...>:

> Hi,

> Have you tried Edge? It opens epub files, and it works with NVDA for the most part.

Felix G.

Hi,
is this really becoming an rtfm list? *grin*
The help page that opens when I press f1 does not mention epub,
neither does it link to anything that looks like it might mention
epub. Could you please provide a direct link?
Have you tried reading a large book with NVDA and Edge? Did you find
the experience delightful? If so, how did you navigate?
Best,
Felix

Am Sa., 6. Juli 2019 um 11:06 Uhr schrieb Andy B. <sonfire11@...>:

Hi,

If you press F1 while in Edge, there is a help segment that includes keyboard shortcuts for epub files. It should tell you how to navigate your epub file.

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with
NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional
content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be
complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not
what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading
without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi,

for reading epup format can program Balabolka.

It is both instal version and also portable version.

You can it download it here:

http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm

Jarek

--
Jarek

Felix G.

Hi Jarek,
thanks. Can you please explain how it interacts with NVDA?
Best,
Felix

Am Sa., 6. Juli 2019 um 11:34 Uhr schrieb Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...>:

[...]

john s

A program called Balabolka will read them and a paid program, QRead, is good too.

At 04:55 AM 7/6/2019, Andy B., wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried Edge? It opens epub files, and it works with NVDA for the most part.

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with
NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional
content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be
complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not
what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading
without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

                 John

Mallard

Quread is very good, but it isn't free. I had a very negative experience with Balabolka years ago, because the books were not parsed correctly.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 06/07/2019 12:03, john s ha scritto:
A program called Balabolka will read them and a paid program, QRead, is good too.

At 04:55 AM 7/6/2019, Andy B., wrote:
Hi,

Have you tried Edge? It opens epub files, and it works with NVDA for the most part.

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with
NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional
content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be
complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not
what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading
without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

        John

Jarek.Krcmar

Yes,

program Balabolka is compatible with Nvda.

It reads the format Epup as txt and you open Balabolka, find epup format and you start the reading.

You can use also two keys: Key F5 for reading and key F7 for stop the reading.

Balabolka can also convert textfiles to mp3.

Jarek

Dne 06.07.2019 v 11:38 Felix G. napsal(a):

[...]

Ollie, from another list, I wanted to tell you how to handle zip files. Just navigate to the file, hit your context key and arrow to extract. Or, maybe it says extract all. By default, the files will be put in a directory under your current directory with the zip file name as the name of the directory. Go into that directory and do what you want with the files.

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Wow, that’s an amazing piece of software!

I downloaded the portable version and tried it out with some of my ebooks in different formats.

The program seems to be fully accessible in most parts and is easy to handle. It continues where you stopped with your ebook, gives text to speech out put through your installed Sapi synthesizers and you even can convert the complete book to MP3 in a few seconds, really impressive.

Thanks for this tip!

Cheers,

  Ralf

--
Jarek

Aman Singer

Hi,

The only two programs I know of which support most of Epub's features (tables of contents, notes, links, etc.) on Windows are QRead
https://q-continuum.net/qread/
and Dolphin's Easy Reader
https://yourdolphin.com/products/education/easyreader-for-windows

QRead is excellent, fast, stable, can open huge files smoothly on very low-power machines, and is basically an amazing application. The author seems to have more or less abandoned it, but I would respectfully suggest it's worth buying for what it is now.
EasyReader is not as fast or stable, its access to libraries is nice, but it seems to be a package sold to sighted people for blind people to use rather than sold to blind people themselves. I found it unusable generally and gave up on it. Balabolca is really nice but doesn't support, so far as I know, tables of contents at all. I would love to be wrong about this, but it basically makes your epub one long text file. Both Firefox and Edge support opening epubs, though I believe Firefox still needs extensions to do this properly. In any case, I have found that browser support for the files is bad. Navigation is difficult, loading is slow, and some files just don't work. Kurzweil 1000, and I think Openbook, also support Epub, but only as part of their other functions, I wouldn't buy them just for that support. I may say that they're both slower and more unwieldy than QRead for just reading, though obviously they do far more than read. I hope that's of use, and would welcome corrections or additions, it's always good to have many ways of doing things. I am tempted to say that the only really smooth way of reading Epub on Windows is QRead. I wish it weren't so, it's never good to be stuck with one application, particularly when that application has been more or less left and requires online activation, but it's where we are as far as I can see.
Aman

I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

Hello,

One small correction. Balabolka does support table of contents. It imports it as "named bookmarks", which can be found in the "Bookmarks" menu or by pressing F2.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 6.7.2019 г. в 15:43, Aman Singer написа:

[...]

Richard Wells

Felix: I use Q-Read to read epub using NVDA. Beyond that, this would
border on being off-topic for the NVDA main group, so I'll stop right there.

On 7/6/2019 3:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a convenient and easy way to read an epub book with
NVDA. With epub being just html plus metadata and some additional
content wrapped in a zip container, I feel this shouldn't be
complicated. Any helpful pointers would make my day.
I know about Calibre and converting books to docx/pdf/txt. That's not
what I mean. I'd like to be able to open an epub and start reading
without jumping through hoops.
Thanks in advance,
Felix

Francis Leadley