Topics

Running NVDA as a virtualise app using App-v #winten1709

Genevieve Nolasco

Hi guys, we use NVDA 2017.2 on Windows 7 and it is running as a virtualised app using App-v just fine.

We are moving to use Windows 10 and so are transferring our apps across to the new OS.

We've had a few hurdles with using the newest version of NVDA 2019.1.1 as a virtualised app in win 10 though, but we've gotten over them so far. There's one that we are facing now that we are at a loss as to how to fix or get around.

We start it up and it seems to work fine, but when we open the log viewer we see at the bottom:
WARNING - audioDucking._setDeuckingState(10:22:18:661)
Unable to set ducking state:ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.

It may well be some settings on our side that we are missing ie permission on a folder or something like that as the error suggests, but we're just now sure what impact this error has.

Is anyone able to tell us what this means and what it affects and potentially which location it might be trying to access and not allowed?

Also, can I confirm that we can use NVDA as a virtualized app? Maybe we just got lucky with the older version, but in reality NVDA should not be run as a virtual app.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

It might not be a location per say, but take note of the following:

Audio ducking is supported on Windows 8 and later provided that Ease of Access is told that an assistive technology wishes to utilize it. In order to do so, an assistive technology app (such as NVDA) must be signed, installed, and call oleacc.dll:: AccSetRunningUtilityState function. If any of these are not met (particularly if it is run as a portable copy or the executable is not signed), access denied (errno 5) error is raised. In order to diagnose this further, I (and other NVDA developers) need a complete log.

A few things:

  • Is NVDA shown as installed on the system?
  • Is speech working?
  • Does this problem occur if using a newer Windows 10 release such as 1809 or 1903?

Cheers,

Joseph

P.S. I’m going to forward this question to NVDA development list so others can provide other things to try.

[...]

Here’s one response from an NVDA code contributor.

Cheers,

Joseph