greetings from a new user, making transition from JAWS2018 using Win10 and looking for tips and tricks and default program suggestions

Phil Jenkins gmail

Greetings folks

I’m a 20+ year user of JAWS. Not necessarily because it has been the ‘best’ but rather because it was what my employer and uni’ provided and it simply became habitual. Now I have to pay for all upgrades myself, and not really enjoying the ‘drug pusher’  like relationship JAWS has with its users, I have decided to make the slow but sure move to NVDA. I’ve heard great things about the screen reader and in fact I’ve heard in many cases I should be able to do things with NVDA that I cannot do with JAWS.

So my PC is Windows10 with MS-Office.

1                     Is there a document that gives NVDA equivalent keyboards commands as JAWS, ie if you did X ion JAWS then do Y in NVDA? Presumably the ‘access’ key is the zero on the num pad that JAWS uses?

2                     What is the best default email client and web browser to use with  NVDA? Have experience of Outlook, Outlook Express, poor experience of  Thunderbird. Have used I#e, Firefox and Chrome. No experience of Edge.

3                     Music player? WMP or WinAmp or something else?

4                     Does NVDA work with any kind of ‘Open Office’ non MS office suite?

I guess the things I use the most with my old Win7Pro machine that I’m about to stop using and move to the Win10 machine are:

-          Outlook

-          - IE, Firefox (or Waterfox) and Chrome.

-          Word.

-          Audible Manager

-          Soundtaxi

-          Sendspace

-          Ccleaner

-          Secure Notes

-          Dropbox

-          WMP.

Thanks all and apologies if this question has been asked and asked again, feel free to point me at web resources that will answer my questions.

Kindest

PJ

~~~

As light fades, vision increases. Blind people have vision! ((c) Copyright Ciego 1997)

**Please note**

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this by mistake, please tell me immediately and delete the message and attachments. Changes or forwarding of this email or its attachments is prohibited unless authorised by me. This email and any attachments have been checked for malicious software before leaving my machine. You should install your own internet security package and check this message and any attachments before opening this message. I do not accept any responsibility for any malicious software sent with this message.

**THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT TO SAVE ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT**

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello PJ,

Welcome to this group, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience with NVDA.

I've been using it exclusively since 2009, and I've certainly seen it grow.

From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both have features that are better than the other, but NvDA is definitely an excellent product.

About the NVDA Key:  I use both the Insert (or 0) on the keypad, and the Capslock.

This setup comes in handy, because if you have to go to the NVDA menu, for example, you can press Capslock with your left hand and the letter N with your right hand, and so on.

I use LibreOffice, although there are still some accessibility issues here and there; Thunderbird for email, Firefox, Chrome and Brave as browsers, and vlc instead of wmp.

As for commands, you find a full list in the Help section of the NVDA menu (NVDA key + N).

I hope you enjoy your transition, and I'm sure other users will give you more detailed tips and recommendations.

Take care,

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/07/2019 13:48, Phil Jenkins gmail ha scritto:

[...]

Perry Simm

Hi and welcome!

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 1:48 PM, Phil Jenkins gmail <philjenkins1966@gmail.com> wrote:

[...] I have decided to make the slow but sure move to NVDA. I’ve heard great things about the screen reader and in fact I’ve heard in many cases I should be able to do things with NVDA that I cannot do with JAWS.
Congratulations on making the transition to true freedom.

So my PC is Windows10 with MS-Office.
Great start. NVDA feels right at home on Win 10 with latest Office.

There is a document that gets pretty close to what you are looking for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

2 What is the best default email client and web browser to use with  NVDA? Have experience of Outlook, Outlook Express, poor experience of  Thunderbird. Have used I#e, Firefox and Chrome. No experience of Edge.
Chrome and Firefox work great, with Chrome feeling slightly snappier and Firefox feeling slightly more consistent. I'd stay away from Edge until they have completed the transition to the Chromium engine, at which point everything will be good roads and fair weather. In general, anything Chromium-based will be a delightful user experience, so you'll be perfectly safe using Opera or Brave if you so choose.
As for email clients, I'd go for Outlook or Thunderbird or use a web mailer such as Gmail or Protonmail, which is what I chose because I like to enjoy some degree of privacy and sometimes even anonymity in the jungle they call the net.

3 Music player? WMP or WinAmp or something else?
Winamp is currently semi-abandoned but still works if you know your hotkeys. VLC is more accessible and more configurable.

4 Does NVDA work with any kind of ‘Open Office’ non MS office suite?
There is some support for LibreOffice but it is not on par with how NVDA supports MS Office.

I guess the things I use the most with my old Win7Pro machine that I’m about to stop using and move to the Win10 machine are:
- Outlook
Green light.
- - IE, Firefox (or Waterfox) and Chrome.
Forget about IE, with any of the others you'll be fine.
- Word.
Perfect match.
- Audible Manager
Old, unsupported, but still much more accessible than the new Windows 10 app. Audible also has a cloud player which you can use right in your browser, and it's accessible.
- Soundtaxi
No idea.
- Sendspace
Neither.
- Ccleaner
It's getting less and less accessible, but in the mode called "custom clean" it can still be used.
- Secure Notes
Never heard of that one. Sounds interesting.
- Dropbox
Unpredictable in terms of updates breaking accessibility, but they're trying.
- WMP.
Lots of tabbing. Go with VLC, is my advice.
Cheers Perry

Phil Jenkins gmail

Thanks Ollie!

PJ :)

~~~
[...]

From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both have features that are better than the other, but NvDA is definitely an excellent product.

[...]

You're most welcome.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/07/2019 17:23, Phil Jenkins gmail ha scritto:
Thanks Ollie!

PJ :)

~~~
[...]

From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both have features that are better than the other, but NvDA is definitely an excellent product.

[...]

thanks from me too, Perry.

Excellent message; I'm going to save it.

I'll follow some of your tips too.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 18/07/2019 16:35, Perry Simm via Groups.Io ha scritto:
[...]

Gene

You talked about making a slow transition to NVDA.  it won't necessarily be that slow.  A lot of what people do with a screen-reader isn't specifically using screen-reader commands.  A lot of it is using Windows and program commands.  there are certain commands you need to know with any screen--reader at the outset, in terms of efficient use and easier use with programs and Windows.
Here are commands and some information you will want to know right away.

Run NVDA, control alt n.
Unload NVDA, NVDA key q.  Press it, wait a moment, then press enter.
Working with the voice:
Open the voice dialog with control NVDA key v.
You are in a field where you select the voices available for the synthesizer you are using.  Itsa combo box.
Tab through the fields to see the adjustments you can make.  The second field is for speed, there is a punctuation field, and other fields.  There is an ok button once you have made the settings changes you want.  Using the default NVDA settings, the settings are saved as permanent in the program when you exit NVDA or whenever it shuts down properly such as when you shut down Windows.  You can change the settings whenever you want but they won't stay changed until you change them by exiting the program or manually save them, control NVDA key c.  My point is that if you change them and the program crashes before you manually save them or before the program shuts down correctly in the same session as you changed them, the next time the program opens, the old settings will be used.

Let's say you have made a number of changes or even one, to NVDA as an experiment.  If you haven't closed the program or manually saved the settings, you can set everything back as it was before you made the changes with control NVDA key r.  This is very useful to immediately change settings back to what they were if you intend one or more changes to just be during the current session.  Don't forget to change them back before closing the program or the new settings will be saved as the settings the program will use until you change them again.

Read to end is NVDA key down arrow, that is down arrow on the main keyboard.
I use the caps lock as the NVDA key with this command.  I find it far more convenient than using either insert with down arrow.  You can set NvDA to use caps lock as an NVDA key.  Both inserts can still be used.
Open keyboard settings with control NVDA key k.
Tab to a check box that allows the caps lock to work as an NVDA key.  Check it with the space bar.  Tab to and activate the ok button.
Now you can use capslock down arrow as well as either insert down arrow for read to end.  Of course,, you may use caps lock as the NVDA key whenever you wish.
To use the caps lock key as the caps lock key, press it twice quickly--twice quickly for on, twice quickly for off.
Read current line is NVDA key up arrow on the main keyboard.
However, I use the numpad for that command.  It requires only one hand and only one key to be pressed and it is clustered with the other review commands.
Note the pattern:
Read current line:
Numpad 8.
Read next line numpad 9.
Read previous line, numpad 7.
Current word, numpad 5.
Next word, numpad 6.
Previous word, numpad 4.
Current character, numpad 2.
Next character, numpad 3.
Previous character numpad 1.
All these reading commands are when using the default desktop layout.  If you want to use the laptop layout, I don't know those commands.  There is a different command for read to end in the laptop layout as well.
Speak title bar, NVDA key t.
Speak time, NVDA key 12.
If you use the system tray, that will take a little explanation.  NVDA doesn't explain how to use the system tray using it so ask here.
Just about all commands you used to use in the virtual PC cursor are identical to JAWS.
You may want speech instead of sounds and you may want to make a few other changes to how the equivalent of the Virtual PC Cursor works.  Its called browse mode.
If you want more information, ask here.  of course, you can get this information in the user guide and elsewhere, but it will be faster and more convenient to get a few commands here and a little explanation.

Aside from what I've said, if you are a more advanced screen-reader user, you will want to know how to use what NVDA calls object navigation.  You will also want to know how to use what NVDA calls screen review, the rough equivalent of the JAWS cursor even if you aren't more advanced.
I won't go into all that here, but I'm presenting many things you may want to learn at the outset rather than later, though object navigation is something you may want to learn after screen-review.  It is something you haven't worked with before but if its taught properly, you will catch on to it after some looking around and playing around.  If you use materials to learn it and you have problems, ask here and I'll give some examples that may help you learn to use it better.  Explanation, to an extent, when using object navigation is helpful but my experience is that you really learn it by playing around and following a few concrete examples along with and after a little explanation.

Here is something very important.  When you use screen review, always go back to object navigation afterwords.  Don't put it off or forget.  If you stay in screen-review, many from the keyboard commands will work properly but some won't and you will have no idea why.  That's why, you are still in screen review.

Others may have a good deal of other information you will be interested in such as about instructional material or commands I haven't discussed but my object is to get you using NVDA in a reasonable number of situations as easily and quickly as possible.

Welcome to this group, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience with NVDA.

I've been using it exclusively since 2009, and I've certainly seen it grow.

 From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both
have features that are better than the other, but NvDA is definitely an
excellent product.

> [...]

> PJ
>
> ~~~
>
> As light fades, vision increases. Blind people have vision! ((c)
> Copyright Ciego 1997)
>
> **Please note**
>
> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
> for the addressee. If you receive this by mistake, please tell me
> immediately and delete the message and attachments. Changes or
> forwarding of this email or its attachments is prohibited unless
> authorised by me. This email and any attachments have been checked for
> malicious software before leaving my machine. You should install your
> own internet security package and check this message and any
> attachments before opening this message. I do not accept any
> responsibility for any malicious software sent with this message.
>
> **THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT TO SAVE ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT**

Many thanks for this wonderful overview. I’m about to begin a MSc with  The Open University in October. Whilst the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) ‘might’ buy me a new SMA for JAWS (currently using 2018) I fell out of ‘love’ with JAWS years ago, and since they bought out Window-Eyes and promptly shut them down, I find their business model very distasteful indeed!! My adoption of JAWS was via the workplace and in the past the huge advantage of JAWS was it could be adapted to use very weird and wonderful software environments in the workplace. Now I’m simply an advanced home user who wants to study effectively and efficiently, I think I ought to both  ‘dump’ this Win7Pro PC along with JAWS and when I move to my new Win10 laptop, move completely and use NVDA. Anyhow, that’s my motivation.

Yes, I am someone who uses the system tray quite a lot, especially for Dropbox. I nowadays c myself quite an advanced Windows user.

Now here’s the question: should I  splash to on Office 365 or can I use some kind of Open Source, free office suite just as well? Mostly all I really need to do is produce quite  long documents when writing my postgrad essays. Of course, any open source free word processor *MUST* work with my tens of thousands of older documents going back to the  late 80’s and most recently .docx files.

I had a go with Thunderbird and didn’t find it very easy to use but that’  might be because I was thinking too MS having moved from OE to Outlook and I note from the NVDA site that  Thunderbird is fully accessible? Is Firefox and Waterfox and Chrome too?

I guess the NVDA key is the ‘zero’ on the num pad on the right hand side on a full-sized keyboard? Mind you, it might do me some good to use the left  caps lock too given I’m having  major RSI problems in the tendon of my right thumb which I reckon is because of the weird stretches I’m  doing on my  keyboard  despite it supposedly being a ‘Natural’ MS ergonomic keyboard.

Again, hugest Thanks

PJ

~~~

[...]

 From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both
> [...]

> PJ
>
> ~~~
>
> As light fades, vision increases. Blind people have vision! ((c)
> Copyright Ciego 1997)
>
> **Please note**
>
> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
> for the addressee. If you receive this by mistake, please tell me
> immediately and delete the message and attachments. Changes or
> forwarding of this email or its attachments is prohibited unless
> authorised by me. This email and any attachments have been checked for
> malicious software before leaving my machine. You should install your
> own internet security package and check this message and any
> attachments before opening this message. I do not accept any
> responsibility for any malicious software sent with this message.
>
> **THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT TO SAVE ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT**

Luke Davis

Phil Jenkins wrote:

Now here’s the question: should I  splash to on Office 365 or can I use some kind of Open Source, free office suite just as well? Mostly all I really need
I wouldn't do either. I used OpenOffice for years, but this year I finally got sick of its issues, and bought a recycled office 2019 license and download from Amazon for $26. I understand the same can be done for even less now, $10-$12 USD.

I guess the NVDA key is the ‘zero’ on the num pad on the right hand side on a full-sized keyboard? Mind you, it might do me some good to use the left  caps
The NVDA key is any of the numpad insert, the regular insert (six-pack on a full size keyboard), or the capslock key. You can turn all three of those on or off as you see fit. They can be used interchangeably, based on your convenience.

Luke

Gene

I haven't used Waterfox but it should be either fully accessible or just about fully.  The same with Firefox, and Chrome, both of which I use.  They are completely or just about completely accessible.

I haven't used Word much nor open source word processors so I'll let others discuss that.

Whether you use JAWS or not, it’s a good idea to have a demo on your system in case it works better for something enough that you want to use it for a short time during the forty minute running time.

There is an NVDA add-on that allows you to use a system tray dialog similar to that in JAWS, but for now, I'll discuss using the system tray itself.
To get to the system tray, use the command Windows key b.
You can use first letter navigation in the system tray.  You can move using the left and right arrows from item to item as well.
The new version of DropBox doesn't work fully with the system tray add-on in NVDA.  If you want to use the familiar menu you have probably used, move to the Dropbox icon and press enter.  The familiar menu will open.

Here are the commands to use in the System tray.
Double left click is enter.
Single left click is space bar.
Right click is the context menu key.  I would think shift f10 would work as well if you don't have a context menu key, but I haven't checked.

Welcome to this group, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience with NVDA.

I've been using it exclusively since 2009, and I've certainly seen it grow.

 From what I read and hear from other users, The two screen readers both
> [...]

> PJ
>
> ~~~
>
> As light fades, vision increases. Blind people have vision! ((c)
> Copyright Ciego 1997)
>
> **Please note**
>
> This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
> for the addressee. If you receive this by mistake, please tell me
> immediately and delete the message and attachments. Changes or
> forwarding of this email or its attachments is prohibited unless
> authorised by me. This email and any attachments have been checked for
> malicious software before leaving my machine. You should install your
> own internet security package and check this message and any
> attachments before opening this message. I do not accept any
> responsibility for any malicious software sent with this message.
>
> **THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT TO SAVE ENERGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT**

Arlene

Hi, welcome to the list. Hey, if you are moving to NVDA. You can still have Jaws on your computer until you get used to NVDA                then once you are fully there then you can get rid of Jaws.  I have both here but I use NVDA for some things. Then I use Jaws for other things.  My room mate is a computer teacher and uses it for her teaching.  I’m newly on win ten.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Jackie

The truth is that many screenreaders have adopted similar commands
now, so that making a transition from 1 to another doesn't have to be
an exercise in agony.

I personally use & prefer Firefox.

The nv-access.org website sells some books to get you started w/the
basics, it's like $24 USD, for the text version, a bit more for the
audio, & goes to support ongoing NVDA development. 2 birds, 1 stone,
great investment.

On 7/18/19, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

molly the blind tech lover

Hi

Welcome to the list.

I am sure you will love NVDA. I’ve only been using it for 2 years and I absolutely love it 😂

I also have Jaws on my laptop and my tablet ant still occasionally use it.

[...]

Gene,
Speak time, NVDA key 12.
Just a small correction. The command is NVDA+F12.
Only clearing things up since NVDA+12 could be interpreted as NVDA+1 then 2 quickly.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Phil,
I had a go with Thunderbird and didn’t find it very easy to use but that’  might be because I was thinking too MS having moved from OE to Outlook
Probably. Thunderbird is indeed quite accessible :)
By the way I own a list covering all things related to this piece of software. If you ever feel like giving it another chance, you might want to join us. If so, please let me know and I'll be glad to help you with the subscription process though if you've subscribed to this group you'll be able to subscribe to ours just fine.
We'll be more than happy to have you with us :)

Good luck with your transition and welcome to the wonderful NVDA Community!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I forgot to write the f.  Its good that you corrected it.

Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:40 PM

Gene,
Speak time, NVDA key 12.
Just a small correction. The command is NVDA+F12.
Only clearing things up since NVDA+12 could be interpreted as NVDA+1 then 2 quickly.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Tony Ballou

Hey P J,

welcome aboard! Go to

accessibilitycentral.net/nvda screen reader.html

You'll find loads of tips, tricks, and tutorials up there covering NVDA.  hope this helps.

tony

On 7/18/2019 7:48 AM, Phil Jenkins gmail wrote:

[...]

Avast logo