NVDA, beyond screen reading

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Hi all.  All of us use NVDA extensively for those basic computer tasks like emailing, word processing, surfing the web and so on. But there are some of you I'm sure who would like to do more with your pcs, in company with NVDA.  I'm sure that there are some among you, for example who would like to branch out, into something else you are really good at and make a decent living out of it.  like making music? music production? or programming? and why not?  NVDA has come a long way since it started way back years ago.  No more is it a screen reader that plays second fiddle to the more established JFW.  Window eyes has come and gone, unjustly consigned to the whims of Father Time.  But with the undaunting efforts of the main developers and the community, NVDA is now a formidable tool that can be employed for more serious pursuits like Music production and Computer Programming.  I want to concentrate however on music making because there are a lot of talented blind folks who would like to make music, perhaps as a hobby or as a form of livelihood but do not know how to go about it, and In particular, i want to sportlight Reaper, a most versatile Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), which also allows for MIDI recording..

You can get Reaper from its website,

http://reaper.fm/download.php

or download it here and install it as a fully functional trial,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

Then download and install Osara, an NVDA extension which enhances NVDA's capability to almost fully access the Reaper application.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

You have now got a computer which also acts as a music work station, allowing you to record and edit midi, as well as record and edit audio.  How cool is that?

As a demo to put forward my point, here's a piece of music I wrote for a school's music educational program and was paid for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xcy5lhusgftiff/Kangaroo%20Playtime.mp3?dl=0

The music is not put here to show of my limited skill but rather to show you what you can do if you venture to use NVDA as broadly as you can and not limit it's limitless capabilities.

This is part  of a paper on Computer accessibility I was invited to present by our local I T government department to a group of blind and sighted university students a week ago.  I only included the music part of the presentation here as many blind people want to make something out of their music talent but don't know how. Hope the moderators won't mind.  Cheers!

Jaffar,
Just letting you know that you've put the Dropbox link to the Reaper Installer twice on different lines.
Here's the quote:
or download it here and install it as a fully functional trial,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

Then download and install Osara, an NVDA extension which enhances NVDA's capability to almost fully access the Reaper application.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

Congratulations for such an instructional message!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Thanks Marceo for pointing out the error.

the Osara Download link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi0nmrre3xicfkn/osara_2019.1pre-123%2Cb22e8acd.exe?dl=1

Sorry all for the error.

On 7/26/2019 1:30 PM, Marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
Jaffar,
Just letting you know that you've put the Dropbox link to the Reaper Installer twice on different lines.
Here's the quote:
or download it here and install it as a fully functional trial,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

Then download and install Osara, an NVDA extension which enhances NVDA's capability to almost fully access the Reaper application.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpw1xyen2ynbeay/reaper5981_x64-install.exe?dl=1

Congratulations for such an instructional message!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Jacob Kruger

Jaffar, while I have been using audacity along with NVDA for a few years now already, here's the reaper accessibility wiki page:

https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2019-07-26 7:56 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

[...]

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

agreed 100% jaffa

[...]

Curtis Delzer

fantastic paper, and message, which I am keeping.

All I'd add is that not only reaper, (with peepers" is great, but if you need other solutions for audio which are very speech friendly, 4 other packages come to mind.

 From the American printing house, their house recorder is called "studio recorder," which has "audible peak meters" for audio input, all menus are accessible,

Gold Wave which I am sure most folks know about, a rather jack-of-all-trades simple editor,

Sound Forge which can do much with keyboard commands into about all functions,

and certainly not least for last in my recommendations is audacity, which is free but full of functional promise.

About any package depends on commitment to learn properly, and none are free but audacity, so there is that consideration too, but it is the joy of what you can accomplish, which is the fulfillment the author of this paper is talking about, which strikes me as the thing. With the help of NVDA, where is the limit?

As in musical talent come to fruition, as they do to accomplish Carnegie hall, practice, practice, practice. :)

And as one of my favorite comics always says, "never give up, never give up, never give up. Truly!

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA