cells in Excel not reading after a cell is typed in

Hello list. The subject says it pretty well. We are working on a sheet in Excel. We are using the latest version of Excel from Office 365. We can type something into cells and press enter. After we do that, it will read what is in the cells. However, it will not read the row or column information. We alt-tab out of, and back into the sheet, and everything works as it should.  Is there a setting we are forgetting in Excel? We are using NVDA version 2019.1.1. Any help with this annoying issue is very much appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

I think I'm experiencing a similar, if not exactly the same, issue as well with the latest version of NVDA and Excel 2016/365.

Sarah k Alawami

Wasn't ther a fix in excel or nvda, somethingn about reading cell contents etc?

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 29 Jul 2019, at 18:07, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:

I think I'm experiencing a similar, if not exactly the same, issue as well with the latest version of NVDA and Excel 2016/365.

Quentin Christensen

I'm actually not clear on what the issue here is.  Are you saying after editing a cell, when you move around the worksheet NVDA isn't reading cell coordinates (A1, B5, etc)?  If that, is it reading them before editing the cell?  In NVDA's Document settings (NVDA+control+d) there is an option to report "cell coordinates" (alt+o on that page), although that shouldn't have anything to do with editing a cell.

Otherwise, the usual things to check:
1) You said you were running 2019.1.1 so it's unlikely you recently installed that, but since we did release 2019.2 rc2 today, if you update versions, be sure to restart the computer.
2) Are you using any add-ons?  Try pressing NVDA+q, then down arrow to "restart with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER.

If neither of those help, could you provide exact steps to repro, as well as what is happening (and what should happen) and a copy of your NVDA log (perhaps at Debug level, since it sounds like it's just not reading something you're expecting it to read, where it may not be generating an error).  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for info on log files.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

For me, the main issue I face is, after editing a cell and press enter, NVDA sometimes won't read the cell coordinate (A1, B5, etc). In other times, it would read, but there would be a delay.

After typing into a cell, we press enter to exit the cell. After we've exited from a cell, it reads cell contents, but no column and row information. It read column and row information before we edited anything. After we have edited a cell, it no longer reads the column and row information, as I'm sure it should.

Ok, Follow the suggestions in my last message, and then maybe send me a copy of your log (to info@...).

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:33 AM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:
For me, the main issue I face is, after editing a cell and press enter, NVDA sometimes won't read the cell coordinate (A1, B5, etc). In other times, it would read, but there would be a delay.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2beta1 now available!

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

Try typing nvda-tab and see if the cursor is in the cell or the editing region. For me, after hitting return when inputting data into a cell, the focus went back from the editor panel to the cell and I heard “cell C7” when I hit insert-tab. If instead you hear “edit cell edit focused” type escape and it should tell you the cell coordinates.

Jonathan

From: Governor staten <govsta@...>
Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] cells in Excel not reading after a cell is typed in

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

I’m not sure if this applies to Excel 365 but it does in my Excel 2007 version.  In the Excel options, advanced category, the first field in the dialog is a check box entitled:

“After pressing enter, move selection”

If this box is checked the combo box following it can be set to Up, Down, Left, Right and when pressing enter after typing into a cell,focus is moved accordingly and the cell you have just left does not get read out, it just announces the co-ordinates of the cell focus has moved to.

If the check box is left unchecked, the related combo box is greyed out.  Pressing enter will announce the data just entered, the co-ordinates of the cell and focus  remains in the cell

Cheers

Chris