A Problem With NVDA and Firefox Add Ons Manager

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I haven't checked my Firefox add ons manager in quite a while.  When I inadvertently downloaded and installed an add on from the NFL schedule site and tried uninstalling it, I have found that the formerly accessible add ons manager is now in some sort of weird interface where you cannot highlight options to disable or uninstall the add on or extension.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there a work around of any kind?  I am using Firefox latest build and NVDA 2019.1.1

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Ron,

           You're right that things have gotten peculiar, to say the least, in the Add-Ons manager, but you can still access things if you have a bit of "inside info."

           After I open the Add-Ons Manager:

1.  Make sure you're on the Extensions control in the main control bar.  If not then up/down arrow until it's selected and activated.

2.  Hit TAB five times.   Oddly enough, in my case, when I land on the Add-Ons list the first word out of NVDA's mouth is "Chrome."  Why on earth that would be I have no idea.  You can silence NVDA at any point after you know that you're on the list.  If you let NVDA keep speaking it mentions heading level 2.

3.  At this juncture hitting TAB takes you into the Add-Ons list.  What's interesting is that the Add-On name itself is not what's announced, but the descriptive text for that Add-On.   Since this often includes the name of the Add-On, it tends to be pretty clear, but not always.  For instance, my DuckDuckGo add-on does not include that in its descriptive text, but instead they describe it starting with the word "Privacy."   After the descriptive text if you TAB once you will land on what NVDA announces simply as button.  If you activate that button a dropdown menu appears that you can down arrow through that includes Disable, Remove, Report and More Options.

4. Hitting TAB without activating the button takes you to your next add-on's descriptive text and another TAB to that add-on's "menu control button."  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I hope the above is enough to allow you to get in and remove or disable what you want to.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Ron,
Has anyone else noticed this and is there a work around of any kind?
Yes to both questions :)
What you'll want to do is to locate where NVDA says "graphic". Just below this graphic element will be the name of the add-on. It's the same for all of your add-ons.
When you've found the add-on's name, down arrow until you find a button. Press it and the option to deactivate or remove should appear right away.

Hth
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

By the way, the situation is not improved by trying to use object navigation.   If anything, I find the result more confusing.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Ron Canazzi

Hi Bryan,

This did the trick.  Thanks much!

On 8/3/2019 10:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

This did work; thanks much!

Ron,