how do you perform these updates

ken lawrence

Hi listers ken with a question.  I repeatedly get, new notifications from both java and adobe saying updates are available click here but by the time you do anything the balloon or icon is gone.  the notification isn’t in the action senter on windows 10.  the computer had been on for over two hours before they popped up this time.  all my screen reader sees is the microsoft edge running pandora window.  these are apparently critical updates.  how do I get to them manually to allow the updates to install.  it is only on the screen for a fraction of a second.  by the time NVDA is saying click here to comtinue there is no here to click.

Roger Stewart

Sometimes you can find them by using the action center notifications.  The way I do these is to use Ninite to get them. This is much easier and quite often, the updater in Java will fail after downloading about 70% of the file and it never gets to even start to install the update.  The Ninite installer works every time.

Roger

On 11/21/2016 9:13 AM, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi listers ken with a question.  I repeatedly get, new notifications from both java and adobe saying updates are available click here but by the time you do anything the balloon or icon is gone.  the notification isn’t in the action senter on windows 10.  the computer had been on for over two hours before they popped up this time.  all my screen reader sees is the microsoft edge running pandora window.  these are apparently critical updates.  how do I get to them manually to allow the updates to install.  it is only on the screen for a fraction of a second.  by the time NVDA is saying click here to comtinue there is no here to click.

Gene

Look in the system tray.  As far as adobe updates are concerned, I don't know what programs you receive these notifications for.  You can update Adobe Reader from within the program if you can't from the system tray.  Adobe Flash can be updated on the Flash web site.  If you are going to use the web site, let us know so we can discuss avoiding having extra potentially unwanted programs installed when you update.

My point is that you don't have to use help balloons to do most things of this sort.  The system tray or in the programs themselves will usually provide options.  For a lot of things, help balloons are not exclusive.  there is usually another way to do the same things.

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 9:13 AM
Subject: [nvda] how do you perform these updates

Hi listers ken with a question.  I repeatedly get, new notifications from both java and adobe saying updates are available click here but by the time you do anything the balloon or icon is gone.  the notification isn’t in the action senter on windows 10.  the computer had been on for over two hours before they popped up this time.  all my screen reader sees is the microsoft edge running pandora window.  these are apparently critical updates.  how do I get to them manually to allow the updates to install.  it is only on the screen for a fraction of a second.  by the time NVDA is saying click here to comtinue there is no here to click.

Following up Gene's mention of avoiding having bundled potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) installed, I cannot recommend anything more highly than Unchecky.  I initially learned about this and suggested installing it only to my blind and visually impaired clients, but very quickly dropped that limitation and now recommend it to all.  I use it myself so that if I get in a hurry and miss one of those checkboxes I should have unchecked it is done for me.

Yes, it runs constantly as a background process, but its resource footprint is incredibly small and light.  If you want to avoid PUPs, which have become so common since the scourge of endless bundling as become de rigueur, Unchecky is an excellent tool for doing so and is the PUP equivalent of an antivirus scanner.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Mallard <mallard@...>

Hello Brian,

Many thanks for this one. I'm going to install it myself, and recommend it to other visually impaired and sighted friends alike.

Ciao,

Ollie

Following up Gene's mention of avoiding having bundled potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) installed, I cannot recommend anything more highly than Unchecky <https://unchecky.com/>. I initially learned about this and suggested installing it only to my blind and visually impaired clients, but very quickly dropped that limitation and now recommend it to all. I use it myself so that if I get in a hurry and miss one of those checkboxes I should have unchecked it is done for me.

--
*/Brian/*

*/Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t./*

//~ Lauren Bacall

Chris Mullins

Hi Ken

As suggested, have a look in your System tray accessed using Windows+b.  Depending on your configuration, you may or may not have all background programs displayed here as you use the arrow keys to scroll through the icons.  If you land on a button described as ‘Notification chevron button’, press the spacebar, then use up arrow to navigate the overflow notification toolbar.  You will find a button to launch your Java updates in here.

Cheers

Chris