Topics

Why does NVDA not find photos on this website?

Giles Turnbull

Hi all,

this is only really a matter of curiosity since I couldn't see the photos even if NVDA could detect them, but it doesn't find any images with the g shortcut other than the Borrow My Doggy logo at the top of the page.

I have only just joined the Borrow My Doggy website today because I thought it might be nice to have a canine visitor for a couple of hours every so often now I'm leaving student accommodation and living in my own house.

One of the website help team told me the profile for this dog, Gigi, has several photos. Actualy it seems you have to be a member to view the dog profiles so maybe this is only a hypothetical question.

"Gigi has a few photos on the profile. He is black and tan and quite fluffy. He has a lovely little face and big brown eyes, a very handsome boy :)"

https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/dog_profile/yLk1Abbo

Is there a reason why NVDA might not think there are any graphics other than the logo at the top of the page? I'm using latest Firefox on Win10.

woof! :)

Giles

Quentin Christensen

The site looks like you need to log in before you can view that page.  But at a guess, if they've tagged the photos as alt="" then it indicates that image is purely for decoration and is not important.  NVDA ignores such images because a website might have many of them to, for instance, display a fancy border around something.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!

Giles Turnbull

That is interesting, thanks Quentin. SO if an ALT tag was empty NVDA wouldn't just speak it, it would not even appear as a graphical object?

You are correct, the site does need you to log in. I've been talking to the IT team behind the website and I'm happy to say they are currently doing a re-design to improve accessibility for screen readers.

The senior designer tells me the images do use the IMG tag but she also tells me it is a slideshow, so I'm just asking her how that might be being done. NVDA is not finding any graphics (except the main website logo) and there are no embedded objects such as YouTube videos.

I'm really happy to see a website taking screen reader accessibility seriously :)

Giles