De: Don H
Data: 24 de novembro de 2016 15:55
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: [nvda] downloading a file using NVDA

So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download.
I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit
enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window
Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with
alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection
of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are
given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

In general, when you hit a download button, the file will download, (though nvda gives no indication of this) To find it, just go look in your downloads folder, or open the downloads view in the browser. This took some getting used to for me, but to be honest, I kind of like it now, since it doesn't interrupt my browsing experience, I just hit the download button, then continue reading through the page, and when all is finished, I can then go check the status of the downloads.

On 11/24/2016 10:55 AM, Don H wrote:
So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download. I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Gene

This has nothing to do with screen-readers.  If a file downloads, it's because of the browser settings you are using.  If it is customary to use control n to move to the information bar in your browser to download, do it regardless of screen-reader being used.  Whether you hear something spoken that you are used to with the other screen-reader or not, the information bar and the commands to use it are Internet Explorer commands, not screen-reader commands.  If people learn to discriminate between screen-reader commands and windows and program commands, it will avoid confusion when using a different screen-reader and it will build confidence when using a different screen-reader that you won't have to learn nearly as much in the transition as you may have thought.

Gene----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] downloading a file using NVDA

In general, when you hit a download button, the file will download,
(though nvda gives no indication of this) To find it, just go look in
your downloads folder, or open the downloads view in the browser.  This
took some getting used to for me, but to be honest, I kind of like it
now, since it doesn't interrupt my browsing experience, I just hit the
download button, then continue reading through the page, and when all is
finished, I can then go check the status of the downloads.

On 11/24/2016 10:55 AM, Don H wrote:
> So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download.
> I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon.  I
> hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen.  With
> Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you
> read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a
> selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is
> complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
> So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
> Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Of course I think firefoxs answer is the best one, you can open the download list which is a simple list of current session downloads. If you use navigational sounds as I do, then you can hear the end of a download whether you have the download list visible or not.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Chris Mullins

In Chrome, on the settings page go to the very bottom of the page and activate the Advanced settings button. Tab down and you will find a checkbox which causes a filename prompt to be displayed each time a download is started. If you don't elect to do this, Chrome behaves as Travis described.

Cheers
Chris

[...]

David Griffith

I do find that NVDA does not always seem to focus on a link properly

and execute it when I press enter. My normal work around for this problem when it occurs is to use the Elements list with NVDA plus F7 which enables you to much more reliably execute a link.

David Griffith

On 24/11/2016 15:55, Don H wrote:
So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download. I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Oh, when that happens, I just use the NVDA keystroke insert/numpad enter to select the item in question. It saves me from having to route cursors all over the place. I still sometimes have to reload the page to get buttons and the like to work properly, but that's pretty rare.

On 24/11/2016 15:55, Don H wrote:
So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download. I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Some pages seem to trigger the link announcement one character ahead of the actual link. I assume this has to be some kind of authoring issue as other pages work as one might expect. I'm used to it now, so I generally move right one position and then hit enter or space depending on what the link is. Some links do not trigger te the click sound in any browser while most things labelled as clickable don't either.
its not just an nvda issue, I've got Supernova on one machine which is the same. Of course the links list avoids this strange issue for obvious reasons.

On 24/11/2016 15:55, Don H wrote:
So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download. I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I often have weird things say on the bbc I player site, where after clickiing to say you have a licence, you cannot find the play link or embedded object in the player itself. The only solution would seem to be many refreshes of the page. I have heard complaints of this from the sighted as well, but I'm still not sure if its actually just mssing because the item is not seen by the screenreder or if its not there altogether. Talking to the Sighted it seems that when I cannot find it it can be seen by them, and the effect they get is more rare and involves a screwed up page layout which we would of course not notice.

On 24/11/2016 15:55, Don H wrote:
So I go to the addon's web site and pick the addon I want to download. I find a button for downloading the stable version of the addon. I hit enter on the download button and nothing seems to happen. With Window Eyes when you do the same you are given a status bar that you read with alt n and it gives you the option of open or save and with a selection of save the download begins. Then when the download is complete you are given several options whether to open the file and such.
So with NVDA what are the exact steps to download from a web page?
Thanks

Gene

You don't have to go through all that trouble.  Simply tab and shift tab to be back on the link.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:32 PM