password fields on web pages

Don H

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual characters being entered rather than the star?

Peter Beasley

No there isn't But that is the case with all screenreaders.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 1:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] password fields on web pages

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a
password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual
characters being entered rather than the star?

Gene

I'm not sure that's true.  I seem to recall that JAWS may have such a setting.  Or I may be wrong and it may be Window-eyes or maybe both.  When someone is alone, they might want to have the actual characters echoed.  Of course, the danger is that someone may use this setting when they don't have privacy  There is another danger as well.  Some malware turns on the computer's microphone, in the case of a laptop and the malware could record and send the password announcement somewhere.  Malware can get the password in all sorts of ways, but I'm not sure I would want a feature that provides another possible method.

Having said that, I don't have much in the way of an opinion about whether a setting should be implemented, but I'm slightly against it at this time.  I would say that if it really matters, open Notepad, type the password, then copy and paste it into the field on the web page.  But typing carefully directly in the field should cause such work arounds to be unnecessary, I should think.  

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] password fields on web pages

password edit box.  Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual

Chris Mullins

NVDA is just reading the security masking character in the password field as you type. If you're not confident enough in your typing when using a password field, you could always open a text document, type in the password so you can hear what you are typing, then use copy and paste to get the password into the masked web page field.

Cheers
Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: 25 November 2016 13:40

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual characters being entered rather than the star?

Don H

Window Eyes has a setting to either have stars or characters typed.

On 11/25/2016 8:03 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Don H

password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual

Don H

You have the option in Window Eyes to have characters being typed.

On 11/25/2016 9:02 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

NVDA is just reading the security masking character in the password field as you type. If you're not confident enough in your typing when using a password field, you could always open a text document, type in the password so you can hear what you are typing, then use copy and paste to get the password into the masked web page field.

Cheers
Chris
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: 25 November 2016 13:40

One also has the option of using a password manager program such as Password Safe (which exists in PC, Android, Mac and iPhone versions - all of which use the same encrypted file type).  Once you set up your entries for your various sites you can either double click on the entry to copy the password to the clipboard or use a button or menu to do it. 

It can also generate passwords for you that are very high-strength which is fine if you use the technique outlined above.  I could never remember the passwords that it generates, but the password generation option is not a requirement.

Given the nature of the interface, which is old Windows style, I would have to presume this program is accessible though I haven't tested that.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

hi.
i wished that nvda announce passwords completely rather than star.
but for security, i used to this method.
i write the passwords very slow to prevent mistake in my typing.

On 11/25/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
One also has the option of using a password manager program such as Password
Safe ( https://pwsafe.org/ ) (which exists in PC, Android, Mac and iPhone
versions - all of which use the same encrypted file type).  Once you set up
your entries for your various sites you can either double click on the entry
to copy the password to the clipboard or use a button or menu to do it.

It can also generate passwords for you that are very high-strength which is
fine if you use the technique outlined above.  I could never remember the
passwords that it generates, but the password generation option is not a
requirement.

Given the nature of the interface, which is old Windows style, I would have
to presume this program is accessible though I haven't tested that.
--
*Brian*

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If
you’re alive, it isn’t.*

~ Lauren Bacall
--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

I personally wouldn't want my password announced as I was typing it. I have my passwords for different sites written down in braille so if I forget it, I can look it up.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 6:30 AM

I'm not sure that's true.  I seem to recall that JAWS may have such a setting.  Or I may be wrong and it may be Window-eyes or maybe both.  When someone is alone, they might want to have the actual characters echoed.  Of course, the danger is that someone may use this setting when they don't have privacy  There is another danger as well.  Some malware turns on the computer's microphone, in the case of a laptop and the malware could record and send the password announcement somewhere.  Malware can get the password in all sorts of ways, but I'm not sure I would want a feature that provides another possible method.

Having said that, I don't have much in the way of an opinion about whether a setting should be implemented, but I'm slightly against it at this time.  I would say that if it really matters, open Notepad, type the password, then copy and paste it into the field on the web page.  But typing carefully directly in the field should cause such work arounds to be unnecessary, I should think.  

Gene

Ejaz Shah

I use LastPass password manager and it's accessible with NVDA.

On 11/25/2016 8:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

One also has the option of using a password manager program such as Password Safe (which exists in PC, Android, Mac and iPhone versions - all of which use the same encrypted file type).  Once you set up your entries for your various sites you can either double click on the entry to copy the password to the clipboard or use a button or menu to do it. 

It can also generate passwords for you that are very high-strength which is fine if you use the technique outlined above.  I could never remember the passwords that it generates, but the password generation option is not a requirement.

Given the nature of the interface, which is old Windows style, I would have to presume this program is accessible though I haven't tested that.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

Arlene

As do I. I write down all my passwords.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: November-25-16 8:55 AM

Hi, Gene,

I personally wouldn't want my password announced as I was typing it. I have my passwords for different sites written down in braille so if I forget it, I can look it up.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 6:30 AM

Gene