From: Don H
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 1:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] password fields on web pages

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a
password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual
characters being entered rather than the star?

Gene

I'm not sure that's true.  I seem to recall that JAWS may have such a setting.  Or I may be wrong and it may be Window-eyes or maybe both.  When someone is alone, they might want to have the actual characters echoed.  Of course, the danger is that someone may use this setting when they don't have privacy  There is another danger as well.  Some malware turns on the computer's microphone, in the case of a laptop and the malware could record and send the password announcement somewhere.  Malware can get the password in all sorts of ways, but I'm not sure I would want a feature that provides another possible method.

Having said that, I don't have much in the way of an opinion about whether a setting should be implemented, but I'm slightly against it at this time.  I would say that if it really matters, open Notepad, type the password, then copy and paste it into the field on the web page.  But typing carefully directly in the field should cause such work arounds to be unnecessary, I should think.

Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] password fields on web pages

No there isn't But that is the case with all screenreaders.

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a
password edit box.  Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual
characters being entered rather than the star?

Chris Mullins

NVDA is just reading the security masking character in the password field as you type. If you're not confident enough in your typing when using a password field, you could always open a text document, type in the password so you can hear what you are typing, then use copy and paste to get the password into the masked web page field.

Cheers
Chris

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual characters being entered rather than the star?

Don H

Window Eyes has a setting to either have stars or characters typed.

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 1:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Looks like by default NVDA says star for every character typed into a
password edit box. Is there a setting to have NVDA say the actual
characters being entered rather than the star?

Don H

You have the option in Window Eyes to have characters being typed.