Topics

Audio theme 3d - request of removal from the official website due to missing maintenance

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

with this message I request the community to remove the audiotheme 3d from the website and from the translations system because it seems we cannot find someone who maintain it. This addon causes problems in NVDA 2019.2 (i.e. NVDA does not announce elements on desktop after closing applications). It will also cause problems if the compatibility is not being updated.

To avoid invalid issues in NVDA’s repository on github, I further suggest to remove all incompatible addons from the website once NVDA 2019.3 comes out. Otherwise people, especially beginners, will download incompatible addons and will run into issues.

The authors are very welcome to request a re-integration of their addons on the website as soon as the compatibility flags are updated.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Adriani

And I disagree, but only in the details.

It is perfectly possible to make the add-ons site structured such that only add-ons that work with whatever "the current version" of NVDA are on that page, compatible with NVDA 2019.1 and older [and the distinction is irrelevant, you could just say older releases, then place the detail about which older release in the add-on page].

There are plenty of people who use older versions of NVDA either by choice or by force and for whom the current maintenance status of a given add-on matters not one whit.

We should not be taking away these resources from those who can still use them, but we should catalog them in a way that those seeking them out know what will work under what versions of NVDA as things do drop out of active maintenance.

Archival software can often be a boon, and not just for NVDA users.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Adriani Botez

I agree that a restructured website would also be a solution. As long as compatible addons are on a dedicated webpage and incompatible addons as well. Maybe when someone presses “stable addons” two links apprear. One for compatible addons and one for older, incompatible versions.

Best

[...]

However, the older releases of addons could cause unexpected bugs and people will be enclined to report them on github as it was an NVDA bug which in turn causes a huge workload for people who triage issues.

If there is a dedicated cathegory for incompatible addons, then the problems which impact user experience directly must be documented. And this is the biggest deal here because someone must be aware of all bugs caused by the older version of the addons. To be honnest, this is almost impossible. Because this would mean that they must be tested with every new NVDA release to make sure that all possible bugs are documented correctly. I think there is no one who is willing to test those addons just for bug documentation.

Best

Adriani

[...]

           If you all don't have the power, and with ease, to simply toss in the circular file anything that comes in in regard to an unsupported add-on, or to limit what can be created via trouble ticket in the first place, then that is what desperately needs to be created.

           Once something goes out of support you are, very simply, not responsible for it.  Your system for entering trouble tickets should not even allow one to be created on anything that is not part of the officially supported NVDA world.

            That is, in actuality, how most software development projects handle things as stuff goes out of support, while leaving archival copies out there for download for those who want or need them.

             It is perfectly OK to say, "We don't support that," and drop a matter and to prevent any issues from being created except for items under support (and generally in a dropdown list as part of trouble ticket creation - I haven't done one for NVDA in quite a while).

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Adriani Botez

Hello all,

to clarify abit my request, with incompatible addons I meant the addons where no maintenance is given, where we lost contact to the author etc. Those addons should in my opinion go offline for a period until a maintainer is found.

For developers, the old versions of every addon can be found most often on github anyway. For the users, it is important that people do not run into issues and do not get the impression that NVDA is getting worse. We want to avoid huge workloads which could arise if people report unrelated issues on github, driving long discussions in which at the end it comes out the issue was caused by an old addon.

The justification for my request is as follows:

The community has implemented rules and processes for addons which can be posted on the website. That’s why we have a community review for every new addon at all. And by the way, the community review contains also compatibility checks. If this is not given, the new addon is not being posted. So is it not unfair to have an old and abandoned addon on the website while other engaged authors create new addons and apply for a review but they do not get posted? In my view, the addons website should guarantee security and compatibility for users. Otherwise we can drop all our review rules and processes and can post anything on the website.

But note that this official addons website is also the face of the NVDA community when it comes to corporate environments. We must make sure that people are able to bring arguments when security questions are raised. How should users bring reliable arguments when incompatible addons and most important, addons which cause significant bugs, can be downloaded from the official website?

So the question is, what should be the purpose of an official addon website? If you expect the addons website to be an archive for all kinds of old and incompatible addons along with new addons, then we do not need to spend time and ressources on reviewing addons at all. But I hope the community will not choose this way.

Best regards

Adriani

with this message I request the community to remove the audiotheme 3d from the website and from the translations system because it seems we cannot find someone who maintain it. This addon causes problems in NVDA 2019.2 (i.e. NVDA does not announce elements on desktop after closing applications). It will also cause problems if the compatibility is not being updated.

To avoid invalid issues in NVDA’s repository on github, I further suggest to remove all incompatible addons from the website once NVDA 2019.3 comes out. Otherwise people, especially beginners, will download incompatible addons and will run into issues.

The authors are very welcome to request a re-integration of their addons on the website as soon as the compatibility flags are updated.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Adriani

Ian Blackburn

I totally agree with this approach this was the problem with window eyes this seems to be every ad on known to window eyes on its archive with no check whether it still worked

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 06:16 PM, Adriani Botez wrote:
So the question is, what should be the purpose of an official addon website? If you expect the addons website to be an archive for all kinds of old and incompatible addons along with new addons, then we do not need to spend time and ressources on reviewing addons at all. But I hope the community will not choose this way.
That's exactly what it should be, in my opinion.

There is a section for vetted add-ons still under active development, a section for previously vetted add-ons not currently under development that one uses at one's own risk, and a section for community developed add-ons, not necessarily vetted at all, that are used at your own risk.

Good heavens, this sort of architecture for extensions and add ons of all kinds exist on the internet.   Any user should understand the differences between those three categories and not use any of the second two if they are risk averse.   NVAccess is not in any way responsible for add-ons in any category other than vetted and under active support.

It's only "the official and active" section that the organization bears any responsibility for.   All else is for the convenience of users of old releases with which previously vetted add-ons are compatible or who wish to use unvetted add-ons, and it's a cryin' shame that a great many that have been developed by individuals for their own use do not have a "NVDA Home" where they can be uploaded and downloaded by those who might wish to do so.

End users are not children, and do not need the kind of paternalism that protects them from risks that they should understand, and need to if they don't.   The same thing applies to browser extensions, phone and computer apps, and the like.   Learning how to "consider the source" is part of being an educated computer user.

I also think the risk via NVDA add-ons, developed privately by other NVDA users, other than perhaps breaking something that can be unbroken by removing the add-on, is incredibly low.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Noelia Ruiz

I agree with Adrianis justification. If concerns are justified,  in case nobody does this before, I will remove this add-on for now from the stable section of the website. As a minimum, I think that stable add-ons shouldnt cause issues for NVDA or Windows, and if maintainers cannot fix them in a period of time, add-ons must be removed at least from the stable section. And of course, if addons are harmful, at least potentially, like announced for BlindExtra, they must be deleted from development section too. Addons are shared in websites, repos, Dropbox, etc., and the website accessible from add-ons manager should be distinguished by the review process, including security and certain requirements regarding user experience. At least for me it is painful the deletion of add-ons, but it is a duty for reviewers and we have the possibility of ignoring these rules, but in this case I think that the whole addons website should be abandoned, leting people to search addons in lots of webpages or wherever they want, without spending our time on this. Just to confirm my agreement with Adriani. Cheers.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 07:03 PM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
I think that the whole addons website should be abandoned, leting people to search addons in lots of webpages or wherever they want, without spending our time on this.
This is, truly, one of the most foolish things I have ever seen posted on this forum.  It shows a breathtaking lack of consideration of how that would make it well-nigh impossible to find add-ons, and it's plenty difficult already.

A central repository, a truly central repository, is long, long overdue.   Users understand categories, and the vetting process would remain entirely unchanged.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Kevin Cussick

I agree as well.

On 22 Aug 2019, at 6:16 am, Adriani Botez <adriani.botez@... <mailto:adriani.botez@...>> wrote:
[...]

derek riemer

Just create a new incompatable page on the website, like we did for announcements, and create an incompatable tag. each addon will need to have stable removed and incompatable placed in there instead until promotion occurs.

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If there is another section for in- compatible ones been on a separate page  could it say also state  until these are made python 3 compatible the latest version is nvda 2019.2.

When they are made compatable they will then be made stable on the main web site.

is there some thing already in place where it disables them if not compatable in NVDA for python 3 snap shots?

maybe also a new developer might be able to take on making it compatible in the future when they are learning how to make a add on? but in this case help make it compatible

Gene nz

.