NVDA pronouncing cups as Cuban Pesos

Jean <jmarcleyhaha@...>

I have changed this in the dictionary and it works sometimes, but not all the time.

Jean

Jean Marcley

503 313 2840

Tyler Spivey

Please give an example of what doesn't work, including a sample string and your dictionary entry.

On 8/21/2019 2:56 PM, Jean wrote:
I have changed this in the dictionary and it works sometimes, but not all the time.
Jean
Jean Marcley
503 313 2840

I posted about this all the way back in 2017.   I could consistently get this to occur in any MS-Word file where I was writing a recipe where a line was "1 cup flour," for example.

I used the default dictionary and simply used "cup" (with lower case C) as the match string and "Cup" (with a capital C) as the replacement string and it always said cup when I expected it to.  This tweak was also synth agnostic, even though the actual behavior was not.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Quentin Christensen

This seems to be coming up a bit lately, and it seems to be hard to track down.  It's definitely the synthesizer doing it, and it illustrates exactly why NVDA does NOT interpret text but rather sends it as-is to the synthesizer.

For anyone experiencing it, could you please advise:

1) What synthesizer you are using
2) What your Windows locale (region / language / etc) settings are.

I think it might be a combination of those settings, as looking back I see the last person to experience this was using OneCore Zira on Windows 10, but I definitely can't replicate it.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Also, as an aside, if anyone is using a file that is not of a private nature, or at least can cut a couple of lines that aren't where the issue happens, please send 'em to me.

I'd love to play with this again.  Knowing what synth you're using (provided it's free - I have no paid ones) would be useful as well.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Sile

I have also had this issue, and changed the pronunciation in the dictionary. But yes, the response from NVDA is inconsistent.

Sile

On Aug 21, 2019, at 10:56 PM, Jean <jmarcleyhaha@...> wrote:

I have changed this in the dictionary and it works sometimes, but not all the time.

Jean

Jean Marcley

503 313 2840

Jean <jmarcleyhaha@...>

Thank you for this easy fix.

Everything in my recipes is reading just fine now – at least those I checked.

Jean

I posted about this all the way back in 2017.   I could consistently get this to occur in any MS-Word file where I was writing a recipe where a line was "1 cup flour," for example.

I used the default dictionary and simply used "cup" (with lower case C) as the match string and "Cup" (with a capital C) as the replacement string and it always said cup when I expected it to.  This tweak was also synth agnostic, even though the actual behavior was not.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Jean,

         You're quite welcome.  That one was insanity-making for me, too, and it was one of the easiest "dictionary fixes" I've ever worked on.   When you start getting into some of the complex regular expressions I've had to come up with this thing was a cinch!

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Brice Mijares

I reported this behavior a few years ago. Also some songs with the Mp3 extension say Mariana Islands

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Brice Mijares wrote:
Also some songs with the Mp3 extension say Mariana Islands
Fascinating.   It has to be the same sort of "very context specific" thing going on.   What context would trigger a .mp3 extension to be pronounced as Mariana Islands would be interesting to ferret out.    At least that one, to me, would be less annoying if it happened very occasionally, since I know when I'm dealing with folders full of mp3 files.

Having "Cuban pesos" be read repeatedly when you're trying to review a recipe (and you often have to check and recheck when cooking with one) is utterly maddening.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Suzy

Try this link. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/bay-scallops-dinner-recipe.html
I used Chrome to locate and read this recipe. When cup appeared, in the list of ingredients, Cuban Pesos was announced instead.
I also copied and pasted the ingredients into Notepad and Word. Again, I heard Cuban Pesos.
I am using windows 10 1903 (sorry. I can't seem to locate the actual version number.), Onecore voices, and NVDA 2019.2. All updates I know about are applied.
I plan to add Brian's entry to my dictionary. I am tired of ignoring this misspeech.
Suzy

Suzy,

      I just did the default dictionary entry using cup/Cup as described earlier, and made sure to make the context "Whole Word" at the end of the dialog, as I don't want, say, "cupid" mispronounced, and it definitely works.   I used the webpage you reference for testing.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Quentin Christensen

I just tried on that recipe, and reading the ingredients, with Microsoft Zira, 1/2 cup white wine is read as "cuban pesos".  If I change to Microsoft George or Catherine or several others, it reads the amount of wine correctly.  I know the different OneCore voices are installed with different language packs in Windows - because they're just names, I can never remember which comes with which.  I know Catherine is the Australian voice, so maybe they assumed not many Australian's would be dealing in Cuban Pesos, compared to folk in the US?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:41 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Suzy,

      I just did the default dictionary entry using cup/Cup as described earlier, and made sure to make the context "Whole Word" at the end of the dialog, as I don't want, say, "cupid" mispronounced, and it definitely works.   I used the webpage you reference for testing.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin,

         Specific question:  Was it only cup, or cups, or both that said "Cuban Pesos."     For me it is only ever the singular.  And in this recipe specifically coming after a fraction not represented as a fractional character but as digit one slash digit two.

          I am using Microsoft David.

          And, both in pure snark and serious mode, you could probably count on your hands and toes the number of contexts where "cup" is stated as Cuban Pesos in the English speaking world where that would be correct.  That's what makes the synth choice all the more bizarre.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Mary Otten

I haven’t chimed into this discussion, because I am not at home and us can’t access my PC. But I to have encountered a very annoying Cuban pesos problem, and I am not using a 1 core voice. My preferred voice is the James voice from my Kurzweil 1000 CD. But I know that this voice is also available in other places. I’m trying desperately to remember who actually produces it, and I’m coming up blank. I think I have also seen this problem with the voices fromIvona, but I’m not even sure you can get licenses for those anymore. I still have one and still use it. But it is definitely a problem with the James voice. And that is a sappy five voice.

On Aug 22, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Good question Brian, it was only the 1/2 cup not the 2 cups.  I just tried writing:
1/2 cup
1 cup
2 cup
2 cups
1/2 cups
the cups
the cup

and Zira and David only read the first line and the 2 cup line as cuban pesos.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 10:12 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Quentin,

         Specific question:  Was it only cup, or cups, or both that said "Cuban Pesos."     For me it is only ever the singular.  And in this recipe specifically coming after a fraction not represented as a fractional character but as digit one slash digit two.

          I am using Microsoft David.

          And, both in pure snark and serious mode, you could probably count on your hands and toes the number of contexts where "cup" is stated as Cuban Pesos in the English speaking world where that would be correct.  That's what makes the synth choice all the more bizarre.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Tyler Spivey

The reason it does this is because the screen reader isn't giving the synth enough information to figure out what you meant.

Usually, you say 2 cups. That's fine. For the case of 1/2 cup, 1/2 is a fraction, and the synth knows this:
In the python console:

t=wx.CallLater(500, speech.getSynth().speak, [u'1/2 cup'])

However, NVDA's symbol settings are set to send the / as a word, so it fails in this case.

On 8/22/2019 5:12 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Quentin,
         Specific question:  Was it only cup, or cups, or both that said "Cuban Pesos."     For me it is only ever the singular.  And in this recipe specifically coming after a fraction not represented as a fractional character but as digit one slash digit two.
          I am using Microsoft David.
          And, both in pure snark and serious mode, you could probably count on your hands and toes the number of contexts where "cup" is stated as Cuban Pesos in the English speaking world where that would be correct.  That's what makes the synth choice all the more bizarre.
*The color of truth is grey.*
           ~ André Gide

Mary,

           Have you tried the default dictionary addition I've documented earlier?   I have yet to see it fail, regardless of synth, and I'd be really curious to know if it does fail with any specific synth.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Mary Otten

Brian,
I am out of town on vacation, so no. Also, somehow I must have deleted your specific message. I’ve seen tons of things referring to your message about the dictionary, but I did not see Ewers message. If you wouldn’t mind sending it to me privately, I will give it a shot when I get home this weekend.

Mary