Topics

Office 2016 versus Office 365 with NVDA

Aine Kelly Costello

Hi all,

I wondered whether people know if there are any substantial accessibility differences between Office 2016 and Office 365 with NVDA? It seems my university gives us automatic access to 2016, but not 365, so just wondering if I need to ask for 365.

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

Áine

The two are very, very similar.   I also prefer the conventional "local installed" versions of Office like Office 2016 to Office 365.

I cannot speak definitively as I am not using both at one time at the moment.  But I use Office 2016 daily and have tutored JAWS and every Office version since either 2007 or 2010 (I can't remember which at the moment).   On the whole, "Office is Office," from an accessibility standpoint.   The core functions have remained the same forever, as have the keyboard shortcuts for same.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Sam Bushman

Office 2016 is an online product. Least expensive options are only online apps.

If you purchase the more expensive / business versions then you can actually download and install office.

Once you get the more expensive downloadable version of 2016 they are the same – mainly how they are distributed is the difference.

But, don’t purchase the least expensive option – it will not work with speech well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Office 2016 versus Office 365 with NVDA

The two are very, very similar.   I also prefer the conventional "local installed" versions of Office like Office 2016 to Office 365.

I cannot speak definitively as I am not using both at one time at the moment.  But I use Office 2016 daily and have tutored JAWS and every Office version since either 2007 or 2010 (I can't remember which at the moment).   On the whole, "Office is Office," from an accessibility standpoint.   The core functions have remained the same forever, as have the keyboard shortcuts for same.

--

~ André Gide

Aine Kelly Costello

Great thanks Brian

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2019 1:00 AM

--

~ André Gide

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 09:03 AM, Sam Bushman wrote:
Office 2016 is an online product.
Incorrect.  Period.

Any of the "year dated" versions of MS Office are locally installed.   I prefer that, and that's why I have those.

Office 365 is online/cloud based, though there are local components as well.

--

~ André Gide

Sam Bushman

Sorry for the miss statement I ment to say office 365 is an online product.

Depending on the version you purchase you may be able to download actual installable software.

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:04 AM
To: 'nvda@nvda.groups.io' <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: RE: [nvda] Office 2016 versus Office 365 with NVDA

Office 2016 is an online product. Least expensive options are only online apps.

If you purchase the more expensive / business versions then you can actually download and install office.

Once you get the more expensive downloadable version of 2016 they are the same – mainly how they are distributed is the difference.

But, don’t purchase the least expensive option – it will not work with speech well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:00 AM

--

~ André Gide

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:01 AM, Sam Bushman wrote:
Depending on the version [of Office 365] you purchase you may be able to download actual installable software.
Absolutely.   Microsoft has made as many versions/editions of Office as one could care to think about, and many one would prefer not to.   They also push Office 365, regardless of the variant, as being "the only Office available" if one takes office.microsoft.com seriously.

Were I to be buying Office new these days, it would be Office 2019, which was released last fall.

--

~ André Gide

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Both are very good Office packes and you can work for sure very good in Office 2016 with NVDA. The only thing I can remember is that the TO, CC and BCC fields in Outlook 2016 don’t give an autosuggestion when starting typing a name.

Best,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aine Kelly Costello
Sent: Donnerstag, 22. August 2019 14:39
Subject: [nvda] Office 2016 versus Office 365 with NVDA

Hi all,

I wondered whether people know if there are any substantial accessibility differences between Office 2016 and Office 365 with NVDA? It seems my university gives us automatic access to 2016, but not 365, so just wondering if I need to ask for 365.

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

Áine

Dark Count <darkcount1@...>

There is a bit of confusion it seems going on.

There are two versions of office 365. The online version, and the actual installed version.

This is because the online version uses other hot keys and it is cloud based.

The installed version behaves more like the conventional desktop version most of us are used to dealing with.

The difference is that they will push updates monthly and so an online connection is required for this to happen.

However it will work offline as well, you just won't get the updates.

This is also a subscription based product, monthly or yearly unlike the desktop versions which you can use indefinitely.

Again, all files are stored on your computer unless you decide to use cloud services.

The installed version of 365 as I said works just like the desktop version with the exception of some dialogs, including the spell checker which adds a bit more tools, but all in my experience accessible.

The desktop versions will run you a bit more cash and won't be updated as often.

A subscription to 365 gives you access to the cloud based app as well as the installed downloads.

The cloud app is a bit different as it is a web based application with its own hot keys and work arounds, and it is mostly accessible and getting better all the time.

But again, to be clear it is a cloud based application which you can decide to use or not.

Yes, in my humble opinion MS could make the descriptions a bit more clear to all as there not only several flavors of office, but each subscription package gives access to certain things.

One such subscription lets you install 365 on one machine, while you can still use the cloud based app in other machines with your account.

Another will allow you to install the app in up to five computers.

I personally grabbed the cheapest I could find as this is all I need.

So I can use the installed application on one pc, but could use my tablet if I log on to the account and use the cloud based app.

I hope this clears things a bit.

D C

On 8/22/2019 7:05 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 10:01 AM, Sam Bushman wrote:
Depending on the version [of Office 365] you purchase you may be able to download actual installable software.
Absolutely.   Microsoft has made as many versions/editions of Office as one could care to think about, and many one would prefer not to.   They also push Office 365, regardless of the variant, as being "the only Office available" if one takes office.microsoft.com seriously.

Were I to be buying Office new these days, it would be Office 2019, which was released last fall.

--

~ André Gide

enes sarıbaş

Hi,

All universities with an office subscription get  office 365.  I recommend you get 365, as it is much much more accessible.

On 8/22/2019 7:38 AM, Aine Kelly Costello wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

Áine

enes sarıbaş

Hi Brian,

Allow me to correct.  Office 365, desktop allows you to download and install the packages. The packages are fully installed and local.  Office 365 can also be run online from the office portal, which confuses people. Generally, 365 and 2016 are not identical in accessibility. 365 gets better and better accessibility with incremental updates.  For example, spellcheck is much more accessible with 365.

On 8/22/2019 8:45 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Incorrect.  Period.

Any of the "year dated" versions of MS Office are locally installed.   I prefer that, and that's why I have those.

--

~ André Gide

George Bell <george@...>

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: 24 August 2019 23:22

Hi Brian,

Allow me to correct.  Office 365, desktop allows you to download and install the packages. The packages are fully installed and local.  Office 365 can also be run online from the office portal, which confuses people. Generally, 365 and 2016 are not identical in accessibility. 365 gets better and better accessibility with incremental updates.  For example, spellcheck is much more accessible with 365.

On 8/22/2019 8:45 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Incorrect.  Period.

--

~ André Gide

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 06:22 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Generally, 365 and 2016 are not identical in accessibility. 365 gets better and better accessibility with incremental updates.  For example, spellcheck is much more accessible with 365.
Enes,

Far be it from me to comment on how accessible something is if anyone else in the conversation is a screen reader user and uses the software under discussion.

I still stand by my earlier comment with the proviso "on the whole, Office is Office" from an accessibility standpoint.  That does not mean that what you have asserted is not absolutely true or being doubted or questioned by me in any way.   But I don't know of any recent version of Office that is not generally accessible for most commonly used functions, which is all I was trying to convey.   

Never having laid hands on Office 365, I cannot make any direct statements about it other than it exists and how Microsoft handles it as a service subscription.  Folks like you can and should speak to its accessibility specifics, not me.

--

~ André Gide