Topics

Office 2016 versus Office 365 with NVDA

Aine Kelly Costello

Hi all,

I wondered whether people know if there are any substantial accessibility differences between Office 2016 and Office 365 with NVDA? It seems my university gives us automatic access to 2016, but not 365, so just wondering if I need to ask for 365.

Many thanks,

Best wishes,

Áine

The two are very, very similar.   I also prefer the conventional "local installed" versions of Office like Office 2016 to Office 365.

I cannot speak definitively as I am not using both at one time at the moment.  But I use Office 2016 daily and have tutored JAWS and every Office version since either 2007 or 2010 (I can't remember which at the moment).   On the whole, "Office is Office," from an accessibility standpoint.   The core functions have remained the same forever, as have the keyboard shortcuts for same.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Sam Bushman

Office 2016 is an online product. Least expensive options are only online apps.

If you purchase the more expensive / business versions then you can actually download and install office.

Once you get the more expensive downloadable version of 2016 they are the same – mainly how they are distributed is the difference.

But, don’t purchase the least expensive option – it will not work with speech well.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 09:03 AM, Sam Bushman wrote:
Office 2016 is an online product.
Incorrect.  Period.

Any of the "year dated" versions of MS Office are locally installed.   I prefer that, and that's why I have those.

Office 365 is online/cloud based, though there are local components as well.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Sam Bushman

                                           Sorry for the miss statement I ment to say office 365 is an online product.

Depending on the version you purchase you may be able to download actual installable software.