ALVA 544 Satellite Traveller braille display with NVDA


Mohammadreza Rashad
 

Hello dear friends,
I've borrowed an abovementioned braille display, and want to use it
with NVDA. I connect the display using a USB cable. when I restart the
computer, it displayed that it's OK and waiting for connection. But
when NVDA starts, the display doesn't function.
I think that I should install its driver, because Windows says that
the driver is unavailable, but I couldn't find any driver for it. I
even installed BRLTTY, but it didn't recognize the display. What
should I do to use the display with NVDA?
Windows 10.1903 x64, NVDA 2019.2, ALVA 544 Satellite Traveler braille display.

--
Best wishes,
Mohammadreza Rashad


Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>
 

Did you install the NVDA addon called something like Braille Extender?
But, that is such an old display, I'm not sure it will work with Windows 10.
But, try the Braille extender, or whatever its called. I am not at home where I can check.


Richard

Always look out for #1, and be careful not to step in #2. 


On Aug 25, 2019, at 1:44 PM, Mohammadreza Rashad <mohammadreza5712@...> wrote:

Hello dear friends,
I've borrowed an abovementioned braille display, and want to use it
with NVDA. I connect the display using a USB cable. when I restart the
computer, it displayed that it's OK and waiting for connection. But
when NVDA starts, the display doesn't function.
I think that I should install its driver, because Windows says that
the driver is unavailable, but I couldn't find any driver for it. I
even installed BRLTTY, but it didn't recognize the display. What
should I do to use the display with NVDA?
Windows 10.1903 x64, NVDA 2019.2, ALVA 544 Satellite Traveler braille display.

--
    Best wishes,
    Mohammadreza Rashad




David Csercsics
 

Yes, it's called braille extender, and it should work, according to the nvda docs. I don't have that display, but assuming you can get it connected, it should work. I think there is some sort of protocol converter or something for older alva displays, but I'm not sure how that works.


 

Install the driver from its disk that came with it.

I found this out with a humanware display I borrowed, the website driver in this case didn't work and I had to install the driver from the driver disk.

On 26/08/2019 8:44 AM, Mohammadreza Rashad wrote:
Hello dear friends,
I've borrowed an abovementioned braille display, and want to use it
with NVDA. I connect the display using a USB cable. when I restart the
computer, it displayed that it's OK and waiting for connection. But
when NVDA starts, the display doesn't function.
I think that I should install its driver, because Windows says that
the driver is unavailable, but I couldn't find any driver for it. I
even installed BRLTTY, but it didn't recognize the display. What
should I do to use the display with NVDA?
Windows 10.1903 x64, NVDA 2019.2, ALVA 544 Satellite Traveler braille display.


Mohammadreza Rashad
 

Hi, Unfortunately I don't have its driver CD.

   ***
Best Wishes,
     Mohammadreza Rashad
   sent by Nokia 8


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019, 3:47 AM Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
Install the driver from its disk that came with it.

I found this out with a humanware display I borrowed, the website driver
in this case didn't work and I had to install the driver from the driver
disk.



On 26/08/2019 8:44 AM, Mohammadreza Rashad wrote:
> Hello dear friends,
> I've borrowed an abovementioned braille display, and want to use it
> with NVDA. I connect the display using a USB cable. when I restart the
> computer, it displayed that it's OK and waiting for connection. But
> when NVDA starts, the display doesn't function.
> I think that I should install its driver, because Windows says that
> the driver is unavailable, but I couldn't find any driver for it. I
> even installed BRLTTY, but it didn't recognize the display. What
> should I do to use the display with NVDA?
> Windows 10.1903 x64, NVDA 2019.2, ALVA 544 Satellite Traveler braille display.
>




Oriana
 

Were you able to get the Braille Extender addon to work?


J.G
 

Hello,

as I have tested successfully, you have 2 choyses.
the first is relatively expensive but very useful. if you can, borrow or buy also protocol converter from Optelec (support has ended) which introduce satellite displays to system as BC displays.
second is that you buy srs232 converter it means, if you have only usb ports on your pc, that you plug in usb side into pc and the other side of converter (serial called also rs232) connect with cable to alva's serial port. In this case you should use brltty.
remember: you must know on which com port a display is connected, so you can setup brltty. and if you use brltty, do not use usb connection on windows with this display.
hope it helps.

regards, Jožef

p.s. braille extender addon cannot help.


hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi


the cable you mentioned that is serial to USb the 2 I brought come with a driver CD that also supports windows 10 that I am using now. It can be brought off ebay for under 10 bucks new zealand with free shipping. I can post a link later on today to one that I got otherwise in a shop it could be say 40 bucks new zealand then you might have to buy the converter.


the one I got was correct so no converter price on top.


gene nz


On 8/09/2019 1:05 AM, J.G wrote:
Hello,

as I have tested successfully, you have 2 choyses.
the first is relatively expensive but very useful. if you can, borrow or buy also protocol converter from Optelec (support has ended) which introduce satellite displays to system as BC displays.
second is that you buy srs232 converter it means, if you have only usb ports on your pc, that you plug in usb side into pc and the other side of converter (serial called also rs232) connect with cable to alva's serial port. In this case you should use brltty.
remember: you must know on which com port a display is connected, so you can setup brltty. and if you use brltty, do not use usb connection on windows with this display.
hope it helps.

regards, Jožef

p.s. braille extender addon cannot help.
--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Oriana
 

Oh, please post the link! I don't know what driver you're referring to and i don't think RS232 to USB cables come with drivers by standard...


David Csercsics
 

I have a USB serial  converter here that comes with a driver disk. So this is a  thing, but I don't need it as the current computer still has serial ports apparently. If NVDA supported DoubleTalk LT I could still use it hahahaha.


Oriana
 

Forgive me for rambling, but I'm a bit frustrated. I bought a male cable that came with a driver, and a female cable to fit in the unit, but nothing is working. First of all, i cannot find a female rs232-usb cable with a driver at all. Second, apparently the cables cannot be exchanged male for female because there are chipsets that require unique drivers. Third, BRLTTY is doing things that weren't in the documentation and the command line doesn't seem to work because the path wasn't set? Anyway if i could at least get the link to the product that you actually got working that would be great.


Oriana
 

Gene from New Zealand, were you able to find that link?

the cable you mentioned that is serial to USb the 2 I brought come with a driver CD that also supports windows 10 that I am using now. It can be brought off ebay for under 10 bucks new zealand with free shipping. I can post a link later on today to one that I got


hurrikennyandopo ...
 

Hi,


RE: RS-232 to USB 2.0 cable for a braille display.

Sorry about that, I just realised that I hadn't emailed you the link I promised from Ebay!

Anyhow, this guy sells both the female cable and the male cable. On the back of my braille note it is a male connection, so I bought the female RS-232 to USB 2.0 cable to go on there.

It also came with a driver mini CD which works on my Windows 10 operating system.

I just use it as a braille display, rather than a note taker.

Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS-232-Serial-to-USB-2-0-PL2303-Cable-Adapter-Converter-For-Win-7-8-MAC-OS-AU/143028406760?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649


I know that when I enquired here at PBTech (in New Zealand) they only had a male RS-232 to USB cable, but apparently I could have bought an adapter for $10 to change it to female.


I have just had another quick look on Ebay for you. It seems that they also sell the RS-232 gender changers if you wanted to adapt the cable you already have. Sometimes though it is just as easy to get the proper cable already done. I have been happy with the ones that I purchased. They are also nice and long.

Regards,

Gene


On 23/09/2019 8:31 AM, o.neulinger@... wrote:

Gene from New Zealand, were you able to find that link?

the cable you mentioned that is serial to USb the 2 I brought come with a driver CD that also supports windows 10 that I am using now. It can be brought off ebay for under 10 bucks new zealand with free shipping. I can post a link later on today to one that I got
--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Oriana
 

Thanks for the response, Gene! I've gone ahead and ordered a female rs-232 to usb cable. Seems like it is going to take a while to get here, so I'll post again when we try it out.


On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 3:05 AM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi,


RE: RS-232 to USB 2.0 cable for a braille display.

Sorry about that, I just realised that I hadn't emailed you the link I promised from Ebay!

Anyhow, this guy sells both the female cable and the male cable. On the back of my braille note it is a male connection, so I bought the female RS-232 to USB 2.0 cable to go on there.

It also came with a driver mini CD which works on my Windows 10 operating system.

I just use it as a braille display, rather than a note taker.

Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/RS-232-Serial-to-USB-2-0-PL2303-Cable-Adapter-Converter-For-Win-7-8-MAC-OS-AU/143028406760?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649


I know that when I enquired here at PBTech (in New Zealand) they only had a male RS-232 to USB cable, but apparently I could have bought an adapter for $10 to change it to female.


I have just had another quick look on Ebay for you. It seems that they also sell the RS-232 gender changers if you wanted to adapt the cable you already have. Sometimes though it is just as easy to get the proper cable already done. I have been happy with the ones that I purchased. They are also nice and long.

Regards,

Gene


On 23/09/2019 8:31 AM, o.neulinger@... wrote:

Gene from New Zealand, were you able to find that link?

the cable you mentioned that is serial to USb the 2 I brought come with a driver CD that also supports windows 10 that I am using now. It can be brought off ebay for under 10 bucks new zealand with free shipping. I can post a link later on today to one that I got
--
Image NVDA
        certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.