Topics

Lags in Thunderbird with NVDA

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

I dare to create a new thread to discuss this issue more.  So just to recap: some of us (not all of us) have experienced significant lags in Thunderbird over a period ranging from a few weeks to a year or so.  Hard to pinpoint the issue and since a lot of users didn't experience this, the issue was neither critical not even proven (hard to prove a lag, by all means).

This could apply to other email clients, it seems.  As far as I'm concerned, the problem was that my inbox was crowded.  Last I checked I had around 12K emails in only one folder and the older emails had been sent in 2009.  I had gone over cleaning up this folder and removing what I didn't care to keep, but there were a lot of emails I simply archived because I wanted to keep a track. And because I'm using iMap (several devices to keep in sync, I couldn't very well use Pop3), these emails were sent to every client.

A (bug) was discovered on Gmail accounts.  Deleted emails, by default, weren't deleted at all, just kept in a separate folder in Gmail which was a poor fix and didn't exactly solve my problem. But more importantly, I went to the Gmail settings and asked it to only send me 1000 emails in a single folder at most.  And after a painful and slow client sync, I find Thunderbird so much more responsive.  Was it really all that took?  And if so, who's responsible?  Is it logical for NVDA to lag that much in a simple list when the said list has around 10K entries?  Maybe yes, maybe not.  Maybe Thunderbird itself, despite its "caching" and "compacting" doesn't handle the situation very well, at least for users relying on assistive technology.  It might be worth reporting their way, but it probably is worth discussing here beforehand.  Besides, Thunderbird might not be the only one suffering from this issue.  And this "fix" might not fix anything for others.  Again, worth talking about.

The setting that changed my life was in Gmail: so login to gmail.com, open settings / POP3 and iMAP sync (sorry for the labels that might be somewhat different, Gmail is in French on my account), and check the options on "when a message is marked as deleted". Just below you will find another setting to limit the number of emails per folder.  By default there's no limit, but if you check a limit Gmail offers you 1000 emails per folder at most.  This seems to be a good alternative.  The remaining (for me!) 11K emails aren't deleted, but Gmail keeps them on its server and doesn't send them to the client except if you search (Thunderbird allows to run a full search on the server).

HTH,

Vincent

[...]

whats the last version of responsive thunderbird?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

I don't recall anyone, whenever this topic has come up, comparing the performance of JAWS to NVDA.  I don't recall any other screen-reader being compared.

Sent: Monday, August 26, 2019 3:10 AM
Subject: [nvda] Lats in Thunderbird with NVDA

[...]

DJ

 It seems that the process of Thunderbird updating might be the issue. Most screen readers seem to lag when a given program is taking its time in updating something.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 4:11 AM Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...> wrote:
[...]

Hope Williamson <hopeisjoyful@...>

As someone who has over 20000 emails, this is a problem for me. It isn't Thunderbird itself. It's the fact that the amount of emails makes Thunderbird and NVDA unstable.

Sarah k Alawami

I have over 150 thousand emails so setting it to 000could work, but I would want that to be per mail box so I could read everything ; that comes in. I have over 1000 emails throughout the day in total from lists, comments, junk, etc. Ay way to to limit this in TBird? the lag especially when I'm typing is nuts. I'll start out fine, then lag lag lag and when I hit control v to paste in. a block of text it will send the message without the block o text.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 26 Aug 2019, at 17:41, Hope Williamson wrote:

As someone who has over 20000 emails, this is a problem for me. It isn't Thunderbird itself. It's the fact that the amount of emails makes Thunderbird and NVDA unstable.

Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...>

Yeah!  The lag is so bad sometimes they should call the program "flounderBird" instead of thunderbird.  Cheers!

On 8/27/2019 9:54 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I have over 150 thousand emails so setting it to 000could work, but I would want that to be per mail box so I could read everything ; that comes in. I have over 1000 emails throughout the day in total from lists, comments, junk, etc. Ay way to to limit this in TBird? the lag especially when I'm typing is nuts. I'll start out fine, then lag lag lag and when I hit control v to paste in. a block of text it will send the message without the block o text.

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 26 Aug 2019, at 17:41, Hope Williamson wrote:

As someone who has over 20000 emails, this is a problem for me. It isn't Thunderbird itself. It's the fact that the amount of emails makes Thunderbird and NVDA unstable.

cecropia64

i find that if i am writing back and forth to a friend and get a lot of messages piling up that it tends to slow down.?? but after a bit it speeds up again.?? very strange.

On 8/26/2019 10:03 PM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Yeah!?? The lag is so bad sometimes they should call the program "flounderBird" instead of thunderbird.?? Cheers!

On 8/27/2019 9:54 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I have over 150 thousand emails so setting it to 000could work, but I would want that to be per mail box so I could read everything ; that comes in. I have over 1000 emails throughout the day in total from lists, comments, junk, etc. Ay way to to limit this in TBird? the lag especially when I'm typing is nuts. I'll start out fine, then lag lag lag and when I hit control v to paste in. a block of text it will send the message without the block o text.

For stuff we sell, mac training materials and ??tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 26 Aug 2019, at 17:41, Hope Williamson wrote:

As someone who has over 20000 emails, this is a problem for me. It isn't Thunderbird itself. It's the fact that the amount of emails makes Thunderbird and NVDA unstable.

Gene

Did these problems begin when the new series of Firefox came out?  I don't follow the program to any extent but it may be called Quantum, as the new Firefox series is called quantum.  If so, people might be well served to try preQuantum versions.  Whether the probem is how Thunderbird works or how Thunderbird works with NVDA, whatever the case, I see no reason to update Thunderbird just because updates are available.  E-mail is a very old protocol and I doubt any serious or perhaps even minor new security vulnerabilities will be found.  It is my impression that updates to Thunderbird are to add or refine new features, not related to e-mail.

So it might be useful if someone let the list know what the last preQuantum version is and if people try it.

There may well be a Thunderbird portable so people can easily try it and not have to uninstall their current version and they can use their installed version if they wish and still have the portable version available to evaluate.  Don't forget to set it not to update.