Topics

NVDA & Microsoft Word Forms #msftaccessibility

Hello All,

          The following discussion is in regard to how NVDA is working with this Microsoft Word Template:  BusNote.dotx.  When you open it in Word you get a form on which you can simply fill in various text fields and checkboxes.  I have developed it with status bar text which is announced when you land in a given checkbox or text field and the same announcement can be repeated using F1.  For those who have experience developing MS-Word form templates, I am using the legacy controls, not the active X controls, for the various text fields and checkboxes.

           When NVDA is running, and I open this template in MS-Word, I can see that focus is indeed on the first field, which is the "Teacher and or Grade" text box.  However, NVDA does not announce this as its initial landing position.  If I tab forward to the next field, Student Name, that gets announced and SHIFT+TAB back to the "Teacher and or Grade" field gets that one announced, too.

            Is this an NVDA bug, possibly, or is there something I'd need to do to the form such that the field on which NVDA has focus when it's opened for filling in is correctly announced?

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Interestingly, when I first opened this document, and it opened in protected mode, it DID read out that teacher / grade field that had focus.  When I enabled editing, closed the file and reopened it, for some reason it didn't want to read properly at all.  Next try, and it behaved just as you noted.  Reading the current line (NVDA+up arrow / NVDA+l for laptop) did identify the field as well as tab then shift+tab.

When I was writing the Microsoft Word with NVDA module, I gave up on forms because they behave so inconsistently - between versions of Word and as I encountered this morning, even with exactly the same document on the same machine (I'm using Office 2016 btw).

I wonder if Microsoft aren't trying to kill off Word forms, given that they are next to impossible for the average user to even find - you have to go into Word options, edit the ribbon and enable the developer ribbon.  Only then do you have access to the form fields to add to the document.  I found I could navigate around your form with its legacy controls ok.  When I tried using the ActiveX controls I forget now, but I could move between some controls but not others easily or reliably (I'd need to go back to my notes to double check).

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin,

         Thanks for checking and confirming the behavior when the form document template is not in protected mode (and by that I presume you mean protected mode in the trust center, which happens these days to anything you download from the internet or an e-mail attachment unless you turn protected mode off in the trust center).

         I have been using forms like this with blind and visually impaired clients for quite a while now.  They are the perfect solution to, well, the electronic equivalent of paper forms where the end user, sighted or not sighted, is only supposed to fill in the blanks.  NVDA and JAWS both read my status bar and help text exactly as I'd expect except for this first field (and I haven't tried it with JAWS 18 yet).

         They're also quite handy to use for documents that have a huge pre-formatted component but that you might want to tweak certain aspects of the pre-formatted part after filling in what are "set fields."  One can completely unprotect a MS-Word form, turning it into a plain word document, but I cannot for the life of me find the appropriate sequence of keyboard commands to do so.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Quentin Christensen

I can get you halfway there:

alt+r, zr, pe, enter, shift+F6 to turn off protection
(Review ribbon, then protect, then restrict editing, enter to turn off enforcing protection, then shift+f6 to go from the task pane back to the document).

To unlink all the fields and turn them back into text:

1. Press Control+a to select all
2. Press Control+shift+f9 to unlink fields.

The only caveat is that it doesn't do anything with the checkboxes.  NVDA still reads the correct state of the checkbox.  Interestingly, I noticed if I copied the text (at any point) to Notepad, it turned each checkbox into 0 if it wasn't checked and 1 if it was.  I must confess I've never tried that before.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

         Thanks.  I got that far, but it's not what I'm remembering.  When you do the CTRL+A followed by a CTRL+SHIFT+F9 it does allow me to edit anywhere in the document but the fields themselves remain.  I know that there was a way to turn all fields to "regular text" for lack of another term, and it even did something similar for the checkboxes.

         This is not critical, I'm just annoyed that I did not take the notes that I thought I did.  I'm sure I'll find them somewhere about 25 seconds after sending this!

    ~ Lauren Bacall