NVDA and spell checking in Notepad++

George Kerscher

Hello NVDA folks,

My first post as I convert from JFW.

I have installed the DSpellChecker plugin in Notepad++. My son confirms words that are misspelled are underlined, but I do not know how to get NVDA to alert me to the misspelled/underlined word.

Help welcome.

Best

George

ely.r@...

George,

Are you by any chance the George who fathered much of DAISY? If so, this is Rick Ely, who in the golden past was a project director at NCAM. If not that George, welcome to NVDA.

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Kerscher
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 11:40 PM
To: NVDA Discussion list <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and spell checking in Notepad++

Hello NVDA folks,

I have installed the DSpellChecker plugin in Notepad++. My son confirms words that are misspelled are underlined, but I do not know how to get NVDA to alert me to the misspelled/underlined word.

Help welcome.

Best

George

David Griffith

I don’t use Notepad ++ but the normal way NVDA indicates spelling error sounds is through the Document formatting panel.

Use NVDA Control  and D to bring up that dialogue and make sure that indicate spelling errors is checked amongst the many options hosted there.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 02 September 2019 14:09
To: NVDA Discussion list

Hello NVDA folks,

Help welcome.

Best

George

Hi George. I’ve played around with Notepad++ but not with that plugin.

You could try the built-in typing spell checker in windows if you haven’t already. It works in a similar way to how autocorrect  suggestions work on smartphones. The nice thing about it is that it works everywhere, and you can navigate suggestions with the left/right arrow keys.

Casey Mathews

WebFriendlyHelp.com: Makin’ your tech life easy!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of George Kerscher <kerscher@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 11:40:16 PM

Hello NVDA folks,

Help welcome.

Best

George

George Kerscher

Hi Rick, Yep, I have been with DAISY since 1997!

David, the document formatting is not working in Notepad++. The spell checking is working, but a bit slow to activate I hit Alt+p, down arrow to spell check, enter then , f for find next, enter, and I am taken to the next spelling error. Then activate the context menu and the suggestions are there.

Casey, I have the Windows spelling option enabled. Settings, device, typing, and the options seem to be enabled. However, in Notepad++ I do not see any effect.

Best

George

It would be nice if there was a hot key for a dialogue that would walk through the document to each error. If there

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2019 7:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and spell checking in Notepad++

George,

Are you by any chance the George who fathered much of DAISY? If so, this is Rick Ely, who in the golden past was a project director at NCAM. If not that George, welcome to NVDA.

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of George Kerscher
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 11:40 PM

Hello NVDA folks,

Help welcome.

Best

George

Adlevision

Hi George,

Sounds like a job for a Macro.  Presumably that could give you a keypress to jump to previous/next misspelling.  I'd like to know how that goes.  I'd also like to know how the heck you got the spell check plugin installed, since the plugin manager is so inaccessible!  We could also ask Derek Reimer, who developed the NPP add-on, if it would be possible to integrate the add-on either with the NPP plugin or Windows system spell check...
BTW: In order to fit in with the cool kids, I should say that I, too, once spoke with you over the phone.  But it would have been like 1992.

Adlevision

Oh well, apparently one cannot execute plugin menu commands within a macro.  And the shortcut mapper is completely inaccessible.  I Added next/prev misspelled word hotkeys with sighted assistance.  Anyone else in this boat can close NPP, use Windows notepad to open the shortcuts.xml file located in the NPP username\appdata\roaming folder, and then paste the following text in the <plugins> section of the file:
        <PluginCommand moduleName="DSpellCheck.dll" internalID="1" Ctrl="yes" Alt="no" Shift="no" Key="77" />
        <PluginCommand moduleName="DSpellCheck.dll" internalID="2" Ctrl="yes" Alt="no" Shift="yes" Key="77" />

Key 77 is "m," so this adds hotkeys for next misspelling (control M) and previous (shift-control-m).