appModule, where to find help?

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

Hi list,

Sorry if I'm off-topic, should I have sent it to the development list?  Isn't it trivial?

This has been asked many, many times (perhaps indicating this information is hard to find).  So here I am, trying to implement yet a new appModule for a very specific reason and a very specific software.  The software in question displays information in the console and this information isn't "spoken" automatically anymore by NVDA.  Should be a simple fix right?  But admittedly, it forces one to introspect on the generated NVDA objects and try to figure where the information is.

So I open the app.  I press some keys.  I can read the content in review mode just fine.  I press NVDA+CTRL+Z to open the Python console and then inspect the 'focus', 'fg' and 'nav' objects (wasn't sure of the difference in the first place).  All of them can, thank goodness, point to the window title in their name.  But I can't find a way (either easy or complicated) to get to the window text, the one you can access with the review mode.  So, since this can be accessed with numpad7 and numpad9, I guess NVDA can see it just fine.  I would just like to automate, so that new lines of text are sent to NVDA and its supported Braille display if anything happens (yes, this used to work, but this would be a perfect opportunity to dive into appModules).

In short, I need some data.  I would need to plug into some kind of event.  I would need for my appModule to watch for this event and, when it triggers, optionally send some text to NVDA.  How am I going to find the data itself?  Shouldn't opening the app and opening the NVDA console and examining the generated object would have led to the answer?  (For the record, I'm afraid I couldn't examine every single generated object, I concentrated on 'focus, 'fg' and 'nav, their parent and their parent's children, with no luck).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Vincent,

If you can get the content with the screen review just go there and hit NVDA-1. That openes the NVDA log with all information of the object at the end of the file. There you will find the className and Control-ID. Maybe you can take it from there.

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

Oops, I ment NVDA-F1...

[...]

Thanks Ralf.

When running NVDA with level log set to debug, going to the window, scrolling a bit and then opening the log, I do get the window's title in the NVDA object's name, but I don't see any text.  Perhaps the console is structured with every line of text being a different NVDA object, but even so I guess I should have been able to read the line in review mode and see the content of the line, perhaps in the value property.  That opens a new strategy though, I'll try to gather information on the entire window with systematic inspection of all children.  I'm just surprised it's so hard.

Thanks again,

Vincent

On 9/4/2019 12:38 PM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
Oops, I ment NVDA-F1...

[...]

Hi,

It appears the flame has died out from the candle i.e. we are missing very crucial information: we need the name of the app please. Without that, even if you report this problem to the development list (which I advise you do), we can't help you in resolving this with accurate answers.

Cheers,

Joseph

Vincent Le Goff <vincent.legoff.srs@...>

Joseph,

I don't think this problem is specific to an app in itself.  This is a console application.  If you need the name, this is crawl (crawl-console.exe).  But I would have thought querying the data was  exactly the same thing as querying text from the Windows console.  In this mode, data is displayed in a console and you can use the same shortcut as in any console application.  Navigation is exactly the same too.  Would I have more luck trying to get the "displayed text" on another console application?  I can't figure out why, but I guess I'll try, just to be sure.

Portable version to test if anyone is willing: https://crawl.develz.org/release/0.23/stone_soup-0.23.2-console-win32.zip

Vincent

On 9/4/2019 2:29 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

It appears the flame has died out from the candle i.e. we are missing very crucial information: we need the name of the app please. Without that, even if you report this problem to the development list (which I advise you do), we can't help you in resolving this with accurate answers.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

It works on my end - it is recognized as a terminal. Did you tell NVDA to use UIA for consoles? If so, that might explain what might be happening.

Anyway, I advise asking this on the development list at this point.

Cheers,

Joseph