NVDA and pausing for specific punctuation

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

While listening to text does NVDDA know to come to a full pause after a period and a momentary pause after a comma?

Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Luke Davis

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

While listening to text does NVDDA know to come to a full pause after a period and a momentary pause after a comma?
It does, but how much it pauses is entirely dependent upon which speech synth you are using.

Your best bet is to write something up in notepad, and test the pauses, if you want to know more.

Luke

Gene

I don't know if the synthesizer controls that or the screen-reader.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, September 06, 2019 6:49 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDApausing

Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:46 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if the synthesizer controls that or the screen-reader.
This was discussed recently, and at great length.   I thought it was on the NVDA group, but it might have been the JAWS group or Win10 for Screen Reader Users group.  It is as definitive as it can be that this is a synthesizer controlled function, and there was even discussion of how to edit .ini files to change this (which I wouldn't recommend).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

I did just find the two topics related to this, and they are in the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group.

This one, making oneCore voices read more like eloquence, is about the basics of trying to change parameters related to voice speed and other timing.

A closely related topic, Taking Ownership of System Files under Windows 10 , came about because getting permissions on the ini file that you have to edit is a non-trivial thing for OneCore voices.

As this is all synthesizer driven, and screen reader agnostic, it applies as much to NVDA as any other screen reader.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide