One Issue with Web Form and Another with a Program Installer

Luke Davis

Ibrahim

You wrote:

Secondly, when I attempt to install some downloaded programs, and I
get to the set up point, all I hear is set up, and nothing happens:
has anyone ever had this problem? how did you resolve it. How did you
eventually set up the program.
Are you using an installed copy of NVDA, or a portable copy?
If you are using a portable copy, and you try to run an installer, and it tries to use elevated privileges, you won't be able to hear what's happening.

If you are using an installed copy of NVDA, and you don't have it set to speak on secure screens (nvda menu, preferences, settings, general), you will have problems.

If it is neither of those things, then it is specific to the installer. We would have to know what the installer is, in order to help you.
There is no "usual" way of dealing with this, it depends on the factors of the situation.

Luke

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:02 PM, Blaster wrote:
This particular form traps you in some type of simulated word
processor.
Yep, though I was able to make it around just a bit using NVDA object navigation, but it's still not anything like what I'd consider accessible. I'd hoped one might be able to compose in a word processor and then copy/paste into that composition box, but it doesn't even carry over the formatting, which most web forums I use actually do, or at least retain things like links, etc.

It's visually striking, looking almost like a word processor, but these behaviors with regard to accessibility as well as tossing common HTML formatting when copying from MS-Word and pasting in is really strange.

If nothing else, it's worth complaining to the site owner about the state of affairs.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Blaster

This particular form traps you in some type of simulated word
processor. If your familiar with the WordPress classic editor it's
very similar. Your stuck in a textbox with text formatting buttons
above it like, bold, Italic, Indent, Add photo, ect… Your trapped in
the textbox area. I was able to bounce around a little bit more with
JAWS, but not in any meaningful way. I'm doubtful anyone will have a
solution to using this website.

Some forms have issues,

Sometimes you will have to exit forms mode and move down to the next field.

Sometimes the forms themselves are badly coded.

Setting things up that say setup.

It could be a self extracter and you hit the space button and they work
or a visual installer.

If its a visual installer, chances are you can probably still extract it
with something like 7zip, and run the setup inside the installer itself
and its ok or use nvda ocr or narator on it.

Chance is you can still use alt n for next, alt b for back, alt c for
cancel, alt i for install or alt s for start, alt y or n for licence
aggreements.

I do get different language installers that do this to.

On 7/09/2019 11:52 am, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
Hi good people:
Please I have two different issues I will like addressed.
The first issue has to do with filling out some details on a form fill
on a website.
When I got to the site, and I typed in some information in to the
first dialog box, I am unable to
move out of that field, to the next. I used the escape key, but it
didn't work. I had to shut down the browser all together. Please has
anyone ever had this problem? how did you solve it. I hope the issue
is well understood.
Secondly, when I attempt to install some downloaded programs, and I
get to the set up point, all I hear is set up, and nothing happens:
has anyone ever had this problem? how did you resolve it. How did you
eventually set up the program.
thanking you in advance for your help.
Ibrahim.

.

[...]

Ibrahim, I subscribed to that website and then followed your link and
had the exact same experience. I tried using JAWS and had the same
results. It would be surprising to me if anyone could navigate such
an inaccessible website. If, by chance, the program your trying to
install is the Bluestacks android emulater, it too is inaccessible. At
least it was the last time I tried to install it. The Android OS is
open source, and that's a good thing, however it also means there are
no accessibility standards imposed on programmers and they may be
totally unaware that accessibility code exists. Anyway, more
experienced NVDA users may have answers for you.

Good luck,
Blaster

On 9/6/19, Ibrahim Ajayi <kobisko@...> wrote:
Hello:
This is the link:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1474
When I get in to the dialog, and type the headline of the problem, and
I get to the next field with the tab key, that says rich text editor,
I am unable to get out and not even to get back to the previous field.
Ibrahim.

It would also help to have direct links to the installers that are being
problematic.

Working with these sorts of arcane problems generally requires direct
contact with the items that are misbehaving if one hopes to get a
resolution.

*The color of truth is grey.*

~ André Gide

Unfortunately, I'm not a member at the Android Central forums.  Let's hope someone else here is.

It is possible for you to try doing a reply on the Groups.io web interface to this very topic, to see if you have the same issue with the rich text editor?  That would at least let us know whether the issue is site specific or not.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hello:
This is the link:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=1474
When I get in to the dialog, and type the headline of the problem, and
I get to the next field with the tab key, that says rich text editor,
I am unable to get out and not even to get back to the previous field.
Ibrahim.

It would also help to have direct links to the installers that are being
problematic.

Working with these sorts of arcane problems generally requires direct
contact with the items that are misbehaving if one hopes to get a
resolution.

*The color of truth is grey.*

~ André Gide

Gene is correct with regard to the original topic title, "Contact," being completely non-specific and unrelated to the actual issues.  This is the very reason that NVDA Group Rule #4 came into existence:

4.  Think very carefully about the title you are going to give any topic you post.  The topic is the first (and, sometimes, only) thing a member sees and that may be how they decide if they’re going to look further.   Generic titles, such as “Help Me!,” are not helpful because they give no idea about what.  Compare that to something like, “NVDA not reading Excel cell contents,” or, “NVDA setting for pronouncing numbers,” where the exact issue where help is needed is front and center.   Even something like, “Need help with the following . . .,” lets the reader know that you are going to present a list of issues.

But since I needed to merge Gene's message into the original topic, which blew away his attempt to create a more descriptive title, I had to give it another.  Please make subsequent responses using this message, or any other afterward with the full descriptive title, as the thing you reply to.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

It would also help to have direct links to the installers that are being problematic.

Working with these sorts of arcane problems generally requires direct contact with the items that are misbehaving if one hopes to get a resolution.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Blaster

Can you post a link to that form your unable to fill out or is it private?

[...]

Gene

First, the subject line has absolutely nothing to do with the message.  I changed it.

I’m not sure what accounts for the second problem.  I doubt we can address the first problem unless we can go to the page you are working with where the problem occurs.

Gene