Topics

Reading characters phonetically?

Matt Turner

Hi folks.

I'm moving across  some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read phonetically?

hi.
just press numpad two twice when you are in your desired character.

On 9/15/19, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks.

I'm moving across  some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read
phonetically?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

What I would like to see is an ability to hit numpad 2 and have it stay on phonetics until I no longer need it.

Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading characters phonetically?

hi.

On 9/15/19, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:

> Hi folks.

> I'm moving across  some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read

> phonetically?

>

--

By God,

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

I would not do it.

imam ali

Gene

It isn't what you want, but I want to make sure you know that numpad 5 three times will read the current word phonetically, and numpad 8 twice will read the current line phonetically.  If this has changed at all in more recent versions of NVDA, I hope others will discuss that.
While I am confident you already know these commands, I'm presenting them just in case and it may give other users useful information.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:43 PM

What I would like to see is an ability to hit numpad 2 and have it stay on phonetics until I no longer need it.

the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sent from Mail for Windows 10

hi.

> Hi folks.

> phonetically?

>

--

By God,

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

I would not do it.

imam ali

Gene

I made an error.  Its numpad 8 three times and numpad 5 three times.  In my original message, I said numpad 8 twice, which is incorrect.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:02 PM

It isn't what you want, but I want to make sure you know that numpad 5 three times will read the current word phonetically, and numpad 8 twice will read the current line phonetically.  If this has changed at all in more recent versions of NVDA, I hope others will discuss that.
While I am confident you already know these commands, I'm presenting them just in case and it may give other users useful information.

Gene

hi.

> Hi folks.

> phonetically?

>

--

By God,

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

I would not do it.

imam ali

That is fine. But I would still prefer to be  able to lock it in phonetics and unlock it when I am done. For example, while reading a long alpha numeric serial number.

Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:05 PM

I made an error.  Its numpad 8 three times and numpad 5 three times.  In my original message, I said numpad 8 twice, which is incorrect.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:02 PM

Gene

hi.

> Hi folks.

> phonetically?

>

--

By God,

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

I would not do it.

imam ali

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Using the desktop lay out  you can do the following on the numeric key pad make sure it is turned off first.

If you want nvda to say the line  as you mentioned hit the number 8 3 times.

If it is just the word hit it 3 times make sure you are focused on it as been read out.

If it is just a letter hit the number 2 2 times if i remember right.

Are you aware also if you want the previous word use the number 4 on the numeric key pad then hit the number 5 3 times and if the next word press the number 6 then hit the number 5 3 times.

It is the same for 1 previous character and 3 next and 7 previous line and 9 next depending what you want to do.

so 8 is current line 5 is word you are on and 2 is character you are on.

Hopefully it makes sense.

Gene nz

On 15/09/2019 1:34 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi folks.

I'm moving across  some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read phonetically?

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Rui Fontes

Have you tried the DelayedCharacteDescription add-on?

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Às 03:43 de 15/09/2019, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:

*Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.*
*the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you! *                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>; for Windows 10
*Sent: *Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:21 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Reading characters phonetically?
hi.
On 9/15/19, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks.

>

> phonetically?

>

>

>

>

>
--
By God,
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
I would not do it.
imam ali

This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Something to thin                           ********

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     ********

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     ********

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!                                    

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! k about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!                            

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 4:37 AM

Regards,

Rui Fontes

> What I would like to see is an ability to hit numpad 2 and have it stay

> on phonetics until I no longer need it.

>

> * *******

>

> *Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.*

>

> *the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if

> you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

> *                                               

>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

> *From: *zahra <mailto:nasrinkhaksar3@...>

> *Sent: *Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:21 PM

> *To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

> *Subject: *Re: [nvda] Reading characters phonetically?

>

> hi.

>

> just press numpad two twice when you are in your desired character.

>

> On 9/15/19, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:

>

>  > Hi folks.

>

>  >

>

>  > I'm moving across  some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read

>

>  > phonetically?

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

> --

>

> By God,

>

> were I given all the seven heavens

>

> with all they contain

>

> in order that

>

> I may disobey God

>

> by depriving an ant

>

> from the husk of a grain of barley,

>

> I would not do it.

>

> imam ali

>

>

Rui Fontes

You can get it in:
https://github.com/davidacm/delayedCharacterDescriptions/releases/download/0.4a1/delayedCharacterDescriptions-0.4a1.nvda-addon

It is yet in devellopment, but it works great!

Rui Fontes

Às 14:00 de 16/09/2019, Robert Doc Wright godfearer escreveu:

*Something to thin                           *********
*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     *********
*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     *********
*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!
*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! k about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! *
*Sent: *Monday, September 16, 2019 4:37 AM
Regards,
Rui Fontes

>

> * *******

>

>

> *

>
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>; for Windows 10

>

> *From: *zahra <mailto:nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>

>

> hi.

>

>

> On 9/15/19, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>  > Hi folks.

>

>  >

>

>

>  > phonetically?

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

> --

>

> By God,

>

>

> with all they contain

>

> in order that

>

> I may disobey God

>

> by depriving an ant

>

>

> I would not do it.

>

> imam ali

>

>

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Rui

Just tried the add on from this email link you gave to it and installed it it works well.

Have not played with the timing of it as it is nice the way it is.

As you know you can either use the left or right arrow keys say in a document to hear it read out  or the 1 and 3  on the numeric key pad.

In a funny sort of way it is nicer to use than the old way by hitting the number 2 3 times if i remember right.

I could see this add on getting added to nvda later on.

gene nz

\

On 17/09/2019 2:05 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
You can get it in:
https://github.com/davidacm/delayedCharacterDescriptions/releases/download/0.4a1/delayedCharacterDescriptions-0.4a1.nvda-addon

Rui Fontes

*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     *********

*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     *********

*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!

*Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! k about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! *

Regards,

Rui Fontes

>

> * *******

>

>

> *

>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

>

> hi.

>

>

>

>  > Hi folks.

>

>  >

>

>

>  > phonetically?

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

> --

>

> By God,

>

>

> with all they contain

>

> in order that

>

> I may disobey God

>

> by depriving an ant

>

>

> I would not do it.

>

> imam ali

>

>

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related materials at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

To find out which library networks in New Zealand have a copy of the NVDA screen reader on them and there library locations please go to http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nz%20libraries%20with%20nvda.html
To find a NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Stephen Thacker

Hi, I’ve just downloaded and installed the addon in your email but now how do I use it whenever I need to as a person who uses hearing aids I’m often needing to check whether it’s b or d or m or n etc?

Thanks for any help, Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 16 September 2019 21:20

Hi Rui

Just tried the add on from this email link you gave to it and installed it it works well.

As you know you can either use the left or right arrow keys say in a document to hear it read out  or the 1 and 3  on the numeric key pad.

In a funny sort of way it is nicer to use than the old way by hitting the number 2 3 times if i remember right.

gene nz

\

You can get it in:

Rui Fontes

Regards,

Rui Fontes

>

> * *******

>

>

> *

>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

>

>

> hi.

>

>

>

>  > Hi folks.

>

>  >

>

>

>  > phonetically?

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

> --

>

> By God,

>

>

> with all they contain

>

> in order that

>

> I may disobey God

>

> by depriving an ant

>

>

> I would not do it.

>

> imam ali

>

>

--

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

You use either the right or left arrow keys on your keyboard. If this is done say in a document when you arrow onto the letter it will be read out  just a little after as say letter A is alfa.

This is if you are editing a document.

If you are reviewing a say web page you could also use the number 1 and 3 on the numeric key pad but can not be edited if done that way. Same idea when it is read out and the number 2 you do not have to use when the add on is installed to hear it spoken when hit 3 times .

You can also ajust the time before it is spoken out but is right for me and it seems you might be able to use a gesture to turn this feature on and off which I have not done yet.

Gene nz

On 17/09/2019 10:15 AM, Stephen Thacker wrote:

Hi, I’ve just downloaded and installed the addon in your email but now how do I use it whenever I need to as a person who uses hearing aids I’m often needing to check whether it’s b or d or m or n etc?

Thanks for any help, Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 16 September 2019 21:20

Hi Rui

gene nz

\

You can get it in:

Rui Fontes

Regards,

Rui Fontes

>

> * *******

>

>

> *

>

>

> hi.

>

>

>

>  > Hi folks.

>

>  >

>

>

>  > phonetically?

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

>  >

>

> --

>

> By God,

>

>

> with all they contain

>

> in order that

>

> I may disobey God

>

> by depriving an ant

>

>

> I would not do it.

>

> imam ali

>

>

--

--

Cecelia Rodriguez <cessbraille@...>

Bum pad five twice quickly

On Sep 14, 2019, at 9:34 PM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi folks.

I'm moving across some letters, is there a keystroke to have it read phonetically?

Luke Davis

The add-on is well documented. If you go to the NVDA Tools menu, open Add-on Manager, select that add-on, and hit the "about" button, you will be able to read the instructions for use.

In short, any command that reads a single character, will now read that character, followed by a short delay, and the phonetic name for that character. So numpad 2, the left/right arrow keys, etc.

Luke

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, Stephen Thacker wrote:

Hi, I’ve just downloaded and installed the addon in your email but now how do I use it whenever I need to as a person who uses hearing aids I’m often
needing to check whether it’s b or d or m or n etc?

Luke Davis

Cecelia Rodriguez wrote:

Bum pad five twice quickly
Cecelia, number pad (numpad) five will give you words, and numpad 5 twice will give you the spelling of words. It takes numpad five three times to get phonetics. However those are still the phonetics for the word, not just one character, which I believe Matt was asking about.
For that, the command is numpad two, twice. Or you could use the Delayed Character Descriptions add-on already discussed, which makes NVDA behave like mobile screen readers in this respect.
(https://davidacm.github.io/getlatest/gh/davidacm/delayedCharacterDescriptions)

Luke

The addon is working well for me. This is better than having to hit a key.

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     ********

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!     ********

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!                                    

Something to think about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up! k about, Since God has forgiven it, who are you to keep picking it back up!                            

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 11:24 PM

The add-on is well documented. If you go to the NVDA Tools menu, open Add-on

Manager, select that add-on, and hit the "about" button, you will be able to

read the instructions for use.

In short, any command that reads a single character, will now read that

character, followed by a short delay, and the phonetic name for that character.

So numpad 2, the left/right arrow keys, etc.

Luke

> Hi, Iʼve just downloaded and installed the addon in your email but now how do I use it whenever I need to as a person who uses hearing aids Iʼm often

> needing to check whether itʼs b or d or m or n etc?

Gerardo Corripio

Could you repost the AddOn info, and is it official, so as to be compatible with future versions of NVDA?

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 17 sep 2019, a la(s) 1:55 a. m., Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> escribió:

Luke

> Hi, Iʼve just downloaded and installed the addon in your email but now how do I use it whenever I need to as a person who uses hearing aids Iʼm often

Sarah k Alawami

Suggestion, can ther be a way to lock thekey so that when you just left and right arrow the device will read alpha bravo etc? My mac can I believe do this, and I find sometimes that helps.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 16 Sep 2019, at 23:55, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

Luke

The delay addon basically does that. When you arrow to a letter it will announce the letter then the phonetic.

Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:06 AM

Suggestion, can ther be a way to lock thekey so that when you just left and right arrow the device will read alpha bravo etc? My mac can I believe do this, and I find sometimes that helps.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 16 Sep 2019, at 23:55, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

Luke