From: Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] German Braille Input

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "ä", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.

Thanks in advance,
Sascha

Bianka Brankovic

Hi Sascha and list,

the signs fort he Umlauts differ whether you are using six-dot or 8-dot braille.

I usually don’t use braille input so would have to research the exact braille signs myself.

From your description I would guess your braille table has been set to 8-dot braille which is the normal setting for computers.

You could do two things here: try to set the braille table to six dot braille.

-          Input the umlauts in 8-dot braille.

Hope that helps to see things a bit clearer.

Kind regards,

Bianka

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Sascha, I found a site with a German braille table:

https://www.pharmabraille.com/braille-codes/germany-braille-codes/

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "ä", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.

Thanks in advance,
Sascha

Sascha Cowley

Hi Bianka,

I set both input and output tables to "German grade 0" in the NVDA Braille settings when experiencing the problem described. I also experimented with grades 1 and 2, and the issues seemed to be, if anything, worse - though that could be that I don't know grade 1/2 German Braille at all.

When set to "German 8 dot computer Braille", I am able to enter ??, ??, ?? and ?? correctly, but I would rather not use computer Braille for now for two reasons: first, a lot of the signs in German computer Braille seem to be very different to those I'm used to, coming from UEB and a little English computer Braille; and second, if/when I go to Germany, or encounter German texts in Braille, I'd like to have some experience with the Braille code under my belt.

Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:19, Bianka Brankovic wrote:

Hi Sascha and list,

??

the signs fort he Umlauts differ whether you are using six-dot or 8-dot braille.

??

I usually don???t use braille input so would have to research the exact braille signs myself.

??

From your description I would guess your braille table has been set to 8-dot braille which is the normal setting for computers.

??

You could do two things here: try to set the braille table to six dot braille.

-?????????????????? Input the umlauts in 8-dot braille.

??

Hope that helps to see things a bit clearer.

??

Kind regards,

??

Bianka

??

??????

Sascha Cowley

Hi Robert,

I hadn't thought of that, since I didn't think the Edge's language would effect what was being sent via the terminal. I'll have a fiddle later and see if I have any luck!

Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:08, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

You have me curious. I wonder if the Edge has a way to change languages. BTW, if you need the manual in text let me know and I will send you a link.

??

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why??? then where does the learning start?***??????????

??

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "??", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.

Thanks in advance,
Sascha

??

Sascha Cowley

Okay.

I had a fiddle with the Braille Edge's internal Braille settings, changing its Braille Table to German and whatnot, and it didn't make a difference.

Regards,
Sascha