German Braille Input


Sascha Cowley
 

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "ä", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.


Thanks in advance,
Sascha


Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

You have me curious. I wonder if the Edge has a way to change languages. BTW, if you need the manual in text let me know and I will send you a link.

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] German Braille Input

 

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "ä", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.


Thanks in advance,
Sascha

 


Bianka Brankovic <bianka.brankovic@...>
 

Hi Sascha and list,

 

the signs fort he Umlauts differ whether you are using six-dot or 8-dot braille.

 

I usually don’t use braille input so would have to research the exact braille signs myself.

 

From your description I would guess your braille table has been set to 8-dot braille which is the normal setting for computers.

 

You could do two things here: try to set the braille table to six dot braille.

-          Input the umlauts in 8-dot braille.

 

Hope that helps to see things a bit clearer.

 

Kind regards,

 

Bianka

 

   


Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

Sascha, I found a site with a German braille table:

https://www.pharmabraille.com/braille-codes/germany-braille-codes/

 

 

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?***     

 

From: Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] German Braille Input

 

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "ä", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.


Thanks in advance,
Sascha

 


Sascha Cowley
 

Hi Bianka,

I set both input and output tables to "German grade 0" in the NVDA Braille settings when experiencing the problem described. I also experimented with grades 1 and 2, and the issues seemed to be, if anything, worse - though that could be that I don't know grade 1/2 German Braille at all.

When set to "German 8 dot computer Braille", I am able to enter ??, ??, ?? and ?? correctly, but I would rather not use computer Braille for now for two reasons: first, a lot of the signs in German computer Braille seem to be very different to those I'm used to, coming from UEB and a little English computer Braille; and second, if/when I go to Germany, or encounter German texts in Braille, I'd like to have some experience with the Braille code under my belt.


Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:19, Bianka Brankovic wrote:

Hi Sascha and list,

??

the signs fort he Umlauts differ whether you are using six-dot or 8-dot braille.

??

I usually don???t use braille input so would have to research the exact braille signs myself.

??

From your description I would guess your braille table has been set to 8-dot braille which is the normal setting for computers.

??

You could do two things here: try to set the braille table to six dot braille.

-?????????????????? Input the umlauts in 8-dot braille.

??

Hope that helps to see things a bit clearer.

??

Kind regards,

??

Bianka

??

??????


Sascha Cowley
 

Hi Robert,

I hadn't thought of that, since I didn't think the Edge's language would effect what was being sent via the terminal. I'll have a fiddle later and see if I have any luck!


Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:08, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

You have me curious. I wonder if the Edge has a way to change languages. BTW, if you need the manual in text let me know and I will send you a link.

??

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why??? then where does the learning start?***??????????

??

From: Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] German Braille Input

??

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "??", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.


Thanks in advance,
Sascha

??


Sascha Cowley
 

Okay.

I had a fiddle with the Braille Edge's internal Braille settings, changing its Braille Table to German and whatnot, and it didn't make a difference.


Regards,
Sascha


On 25/09/2019 06:53, Sascha Cowley wrote:

Hi Robert,

I hadn't thought of that, since I didn't think the Edge's language would effect what was being sent via the terminal. I'll have a fiddle later and see if I have any luck!


Regards,
Sascha

On 24/09/2019 19:08, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

You have me curious. I wonder if the Edge has a way to change languages. BTW, if you need the manual in text let me know and I will send you a link.

??

******If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why??? then where does the learning start?***??????????

??

From: Sascha Cowley via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 10:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] German Braille Input

??

Hello all,

I took ownership of my Braille display - a Braille Edge 40 - yesterday, and thus far, I've been able to work out how to do most things I want/need to do with it.

However, I'm having trouble inputting German Braille. When, for example, I try to insert "??", i get "`" instead. Braille output, however, is fine. I've had a look at the Braille Table files, and it would appear that dots345 is assigned to at least two things, and I'm assuming this is where the problem is: NVDA (or rather Liblouis) doesn't know which one I want to enter.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong, or if there is some sort of fix for this problem? Please keep in mind that I only started learning German at the start of the year, and am completely new to German Braille.


Thanks in advance,
Sascha

??